Author Topic: Tachyon @ KY LanWar 48  (Read 4745 times)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Tachyon @ KY LanWar 48
I'll be present at the Louisville, KY USA LanWar gaming event during Jan 14, 15, and 16...
http://www.lanwar.com
During which I'll be hosting a Tachyon server. I'm already bringing a few friends, so it shouldn't
be difficult to find players.

We should be able to use Novalogic's lobby, so if anyone out on the net wants to drop in
and play we can explode together. Voice servers will depend on what people at LanWar have
the most of, and I won't know that till I get there. I'll be promoting FringeSpace here and there
as well.

For the folks that don't have Tachyon:

The game itself is still available as a downloadable version,
from Steam, GameTap, and Novalogic itself among others.

$7 on sale at http://store.steampowered.com/app/32760/

In addition to the 2 multiplayer modes (up to 32 players per map)
in has a full two sided campaign.

The FringeSpace Service Bay mod pack will be used to host
and play with different ships. It is not required in order
to play or connect.

I'll also have a couple install and patch discs on hand at LanWar,
under the original EULA I can share with friends. Come see me
at the Alpha Hall seat Row 6 Seat 12 (JGZinv).

Any questions or interest? Let me know.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Tachyon @ KY LanWar 48
Have you've planned out what all you'll be showing, as far as the FringeSpace goes?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline JGZinv

There's not a great deal I can do in terms of showing off FS there.
First hurdle is getting people that play mostly FPS back into a 11 year old game.
We can work it up from there. I've got a couple potential tricks up my sleeve though.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
I think the biggest hurdle would be getting enough folk to play an Arena or Basewars match... if you can get past that and Fraps the footage, you'll have a video of the gameplay to show.

Sorry to say, but I can't be at the LanWar. Kentucky is too long of a drive from where I'm at. :(
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline JGZinv

Just pack yourself into a crate and use UPS....  we'll just Return to Sender when done.
You can still play by dropping in from the online lobby while we're there.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Just pack yourself into a crate and use UPS....  we'll just Return to Sender when done.

Yeahhh.... I don't have enough postage though.  :lol:

You can still play by dropping in from the online lobby while we're there.

Seriously doubt if I'll have a fast enough connection for that, but I'll give it a try.
chief1983

------------

Offline JGZinv

Tach was designed for dialup. Granted you'll probably have some lag compared to a person on broadband,
but it'll be better than trying to play Call of Duty on dialup...

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
Good luck at the lan, in my experience FPS gamers can be really close minded in terms of playing "old" games. The biggest challenge is getting them to play when there are only a few days to do it, but considering your lanwar is a 3 day event, you'll likely get them to play at least once. So in that sense, I'm rootin for yah!
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Oh gee, yes. But you'd be surprised. I once thouroughly impressed one of my past roommates with vanilla FS1... FS1!

However, with a laptop which had no numeric pad, an impatience for remapping keys or the unwillingness to accept that there are a lot of different controls in FS (not to mention that he was horribly frustrated by the training missions) meant that he didn't last too long. Kind of embarassing, really... :p

That said, if you can interest them, your next hurdle would be in getting them to work with the complexity in a good space sim/shooter. At least you're not dealing with a truly archaic control set-up like in programs such as "Elite: Frontier," which is a pain in a half due to the archaic technologies of 1993. Of course, GL Frontier probably wasn't helping things...
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
TTF luckily has one introductory mission that runs you through the default controls, and about the only key changes I had to make where for the energy management, boost, slide, and lateral thrust controls. :)
chief1983

------------

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Still too many controls for th average gamer, I'm going to guess (especially your console gamer).
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline JGZinv

There's even card gaming going on, duct tape competitions, and other old stuff...
so it should be fine.

Overkilled and Nova should drop in too. Me and two other guys will be there to play it as well.

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Still too many controls for th average gamer, I'm going to guess (especially your console gamer).

Not so! I mapped the essential keys (except energy management) to a PS2 style gamepad and manage to keep up with JGZine and his trackball.

It would be mighty interesting if a PS3 style gamepad came out, you know, the one with the "SixAxis."
chief1983

------------

Offline JGZinv

Already have to people going to LW tomorrow/today that want to play, plus me and 2 more.
I expect Nova and Over to drop by, so we're looking at 7 already....

Offline z64555

• Minecraft
    • Steam
Hey JG, what's the server name, and what times will it be up and running?
chief1983

------------

Offline JGZinv

Well I've had some problems...

First I didn't have the spare 25 ft cable to hook it up.
2nd even though the server worked at home, it doesn't want to accept connections here.
Three, I've got to wait till the network staff comes back in the morning to talk to anyone.
Four... I can't think of any more reasons why it's not working.

It's been up part of the afternoon starting around 8 PM. I took it off once I realized no one could get in.
Provided I get it working, it'll be on tomorrow, otherwise Over's server is still online.

Found a couple more Tach fans from ages ago that had lost their discs.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken