Author Topic: Cryostasis  (Read 1351 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Has anyone else played this game? I had only heard about it as a PhysX showcase in the past, but I picked it up recently and it is probably the most unique and original game I've seen in a while. Opinions on it seem to be fairly divided, although Gamespot voted it for the best story of 2009. It has quite a few flaws but it's also full of innovative ideas.

Cryostasis is all about the story and its presentation. The story is told through flashbacks and "mental echos" (when you find a corpse, you can see and change past events through that guy's perspective). You get snippets of some Russian short story throughout the game that parallels the game events, although it takes a little thought to draw some of the connections. The game has a very surreal, fantastic feel in general that I haven't seen in a long time. You encounter a lot of things that seem weird and trippy but have a deeper, symbolic meaning to them. The story can be confusing unless you're actively looking for these interpretations and connections, and a lot of earlier events only make sense near the end.

The graphics and artwork are very good but the engine performance is lousy, probably worse than even Crysis. I didn't actually use PhysX since it also needs DX10 for that, but I would not want to anyway given the kind of framerates I got without it. :p

The gameplay is actually pretty boring (there is a clever health system, but combat feels clunky and there isn't much of it in the first place) and the levels are very linear and have repetitive environments. It is probably more of an "experience" than an actual game and it won't appeal to everyone, but it's quite different from anything else I have seen. I like how the developers actually took risks and tried something new here, which you rarely see today.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Sounds a little like Heavy Rain in the sense of story and presentation

Is that a fair comparison?
"No"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I looked up that game on Wikipedia and it doesn't really sound that similar to me. :p

Cryostasis actually reminded me of Half Life 2 in the sense that it makes you figure out large parts of the story yourself, but the depth of the story is on a different level from HL2 and it does gives you enough story snippets to get you interested in the first place. Some of the story is really a commentary on human nature more than anything else.

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
If Cryostasis struck your fancy, it might be worthwhile looking into Pathologic and The Void if you haven't already. Both are very interesting artistic efforts. Russia seems to have become a driving force in experimental games over the last few years.

That said, I couldn't get into Cryostasis. The premise is compelling, and I like its ideas and atmosphere. By all accounts it seems right up my alley. But for some reason it just didn't hit any notes for me and I'm yet to pick it back up. I might have to give it another look.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It's worth playing to the end. It starts off quite slow and feels like a lamer version of Doom 3 early on. I think most of the interesting and unique parts are in the second half of the game.

I've heard of The Void, and it did sound like it's worth a look too. You're right that these Russian and eastern European companies are giving us a lot more innovation than the mainstream developers these days, even though their games are often buggy and unpolished.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 02:52:42 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'll side with the developer comment there - Mount & Blade (Tale Worlds, a company from Turkey I believe) is one of the best games I've played in a long time, though I don't own it personally. It's not from Russia of course, but it certainly is from out east.  :p
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke