Author Topic: What kind of a Let's Play are YOU looking for?  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
What kind of a Let's Play are YOU looking for?
I'd like to start a little discussion about Let's Plays in general. Your input would be most appreciated, please share and comment! :)
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: What kind of a Let's Play are YOU looking for?
Please do not be offended, but I find your LPs to be very hard to sit through due to your narration. I understand improving your abilities as a narrator might be difficult, especially if English is not your native tongue (and given that you're opting to record in that language); however, I would still make an attempt to improve your diction, and I'd also make an effort to think more critically about what you say in your narration.

To make an example of your LP on Rediculous, over-narration and lack of control with respect to what and when you were speaking did not make it an enjoyable watch. In fact, I simply didn't bother to finish watching it. If SGWPt2 was so horrible, your narration really didn't make it any better.

This is a bit critical, but if you want to be an enjoyable LPer, what you say is just as important as how you play. The only thing, again, which I can say is that you need to take a more critical approach vocalizing your thoughts.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Quick tip for fixin' that;
Record your voice-over after you play and are watching the video back (a second time, let the first be where you work out what you're doing to say).
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Quick tip for fixin' that;
Record your voice-over after you play and are watching the video back (a second time, let the first be where you work out what you're doing to say).

Yes. Just record the game's voice with the video, and mix your commentary on the audio track in post-processing.

Live commentary has its own appeal, but it doesn't work for nearly all cases.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, I found that out the hard way the single time I attempted doing something like that live.  I still want to go back and try doing Destiny of Peace the right way.

Offline Davros

Falcon 4 allied force

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Hey man, hearing 'Cobra 4-2, tally one visual on my nose, fox two snapshot.' in several different flavours is nowhere near as fun as you'd think. :P

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Already found plenty at http://lparchive.org/

Nakar's Ultima let's plays are awesome. Especially Ultima VII.

So, I'm happy for the time being. But thanks for asking. :)

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
My favorite LP-ers are Kikoskia (Deus Ex is recommended) and Helloween4545 (Penumbra/Amnesia are great watches). I'm currently watching an LP of The Witcher by Toegoff. He's pretty good, but I think the former two guys are the best I've ever listened to.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
Oh you, don't show me what you look like! XD I did enjoy the first Lucika LP I saw a lot, the rest were fine, as I thought they were meant to be humourous, and his voice b**ching about how this ship did that, etc was amusing to me. I guess this does not work for people who want a more serious LP...or those who don't want a voice at all.
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
I didn't necessarily want to steer this discussion towards my LPs and LPing style but its okay if we discuss that. :)

As for the above notes, I do agree with the over-narration issue, that is something that just lately came to my mind.

And again, what I consider to be the main difference in LPing styles would be, as I discussed in the vid, 1) mainly focusing on entertaining the viewers or 2) sharing the gaming experience with them. I mostly do the latter and that's what that comes with. I might try making some videos that are a bit different in that regard later down the line, maybe if I get to do VD. :)

Thank you for the suggestions and reactions, they were greatly appreciated. :)
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012