Author Topic: Dark Souls: Prepare to mod edition, a short list of the 3 essential mods.  (Read 1134 times)

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
Dark Souls: Prepare to mod edition, a short list of the 3 essential mods.
When starting up Dark Souls for the first time, you might notice that the game is looking kinda terrible, the resolution is crap and the frame rate is locked; this is due the devs porting it just half assing the job, luckily, its been out long enough for the community to have addressed these issues :)

Here's what you'll need:
First, get the mod DSFix from Here, this will enable the game to run the render resolution at your native resolutions, make sure you read the instructions and be careful with what you unlock, because some things might mean a ban from games for windows live (groans everywhere).

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU DISABLE IN GAME ANTI-ALIASING FIRST! OR IT WILL LOOK VERY, VERY WEIRD AND WORK IMPROPERLY!

After that's all set and done, IF you are not going to be using a gamepad/xbox controller to play this game (Highly recommended) and you are going to use Kboard and mouse, then you MUST absolutely get DSMFix, this will drop an exe file in your Dark Souls DATA folder which will allow you to add smoothing to your mouse input and change a few things of how the inputs work. Read the instructions and pay attention, you HAVE to enable it in the DSFix.ini for it to work.

IMPORTANT: IF YOU WANT TO USE A GAMEPAD/XBOX CONTROLLER, DO NOT ENABLE DSMFIX!!! IF YOU DO, THE CONTROLLER WONT RESPOND INGAME AT ALL

Last but not least, if you are gonna be playing with friends and you want to summon them to help you with a boss or a specific level, or even invading them, you should get DSCFix which helps with the terrible connection rules Dark Souls has and searches in your GFWL friend list first before checking normally. This mod is also enabled from DSFix and can chain DSMFix for your mouse. Please read the instructions carefully.

That's it! those are the 3 most basic mods you will need to make your experience with death and suffering much more pleasant! You can find more mods for textures and other cosmetic things at http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/

And remember, Praise the sun, brothers!
Signed, me

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to mod edition, a short list of the 3 essential mods.
Found two more mods that might be useful for people who are using a ps3 controller! http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/256/?
Also, for those that choose to use a kboard, since the game uses xbox buttons, its hard to find buttons, this one i think changes the buttons to the default keyboard layout: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/41//?
Signed, me

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Re: Dark Souls: Prepare to mod edition, a short list of the 3 essential mods.
I WONT STOP DYING OH GOD
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz