Author Topic: Act 3 Voice Acting  (Read 7034 times)

Offline sunnyB

Just finished Act 2 War in Heaven and it far exceeded my expectations or any of my other buddies expectations. Gameplay was phenomenal. Thank you team.

Not expecting Act 3 voice anytime soon, but any ideas on when it will be out?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We quite honestly can't tell you. We have no idea how big the script for Act 3 is, we do not know how long casting and recording and mixing would take. Any date we would give you would be baseless speculation at this point.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Obviously. Still looking forward to it though, would even wait longer if the release would be voice acted from the start. Of course, the great thing about the text-only-release is that feedback can go into the voice-acted one, like with the dreamscape trainings (which give SSSSOOO much more lines and depth to these characters).
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I'd definitely audition for a few roles if we could get some steam rolling on a voice acting effort.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Might I suggest we donate money as well? I gave some to Battuta when the VA push for Acts 1 and 2 was underway, but I think it turned out to be only a drop in the bucket compared to how much he ended up spending.

If you look at some of the lead actors' profiles (Simms, for example), these are professionals who do high quality work, and I doubt they come cheap. Good VA is expensive!

Offline rance

I'd donate towards BP development and voice acting. My voice my sound like a 10 year old huffing Sulfur Hexafluoride but at least I may be able to help pay for someone whose vocal cords are less off putting!

Offline Snarks

I'm down for donating. Let us know how you want it Battuta!

Offline Vidmaster

considering that I had more fun with the voice-acted Blue Planet than with ANY other game this year (including the Witcher 3), this might actually be not a bad idea. Why am I paying for content that is not as good as Blue Planet? :-)

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

considering that I had more fun with the voice-acted Blue Planet than with ANY other game this year (including the Witcher 3), this might actually be not a bad idea. Why am I paying for content that is not as good as Blue Planet? :-)

Such truth to these words. I'd also be willing to pitch in a couple of lines if needed, though I have absolutely no background with voice acting so finding someone better than me might not be a better idea.

BP is my favorite mod for anything ever. I'd absolutely be willing to chip in with both money and awful voice acting.

Perhaps start a Kickstarter to help fund further voice acting? I know I would chip in a few bucks at least.  :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'm very hesitant to attract funds using the BP name (or anything related to FSO). That's why we paid our actors out of pocket with money raised through normal work.

Totally random question, does the guy who voice acted for Samuel Bei have his own Youtube channel? I swore I recognized the voice when I heard it. I do not remember what the name of his channel was though.

Offline rance

I'm very hesitant to attract funds using the BP name (or anything related to FSO). That's why we paid our actors out of pocket with money raised through normal work.

Well if you just happened to have a Paypal and I just happened to give some money to it...

Offline leoben

I understand the hesitation from Battuta - once people outside the production crew start funding a project, suddenly there's an unfair arbitrary burden on the producers to deliver something for a certain date that may not be feasible.

Given the production quality of the BP series so far, I'm very much inclined to trust that this team will keep delivering phenomenal work, once they have the time and the energy to work through Acts 4-5 and do voice for Act 3. Whether that's in 2 months of 2 years from now, I think this is the only way to ensure quality.

And I'm sure once the time comes, everyone in this community will step up and be happy to help, as always.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I understand the hesitation from Battuta - once people outside the production crew start funding a project, suddenly there's an unfair arbitrary burden on the producers to deliver something for a certain date that may not be feasible.
I think the bigger concern is that as soon as money starts flowing from players to the BP team, Interplay might take notice.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I think the bigger concern is that as soon as money starts flowing from players to the BP team, Interplay might take notice.
not only that but it gets significantly more difficult to argue against copyrights as per songs used in the game itself (which from what i've noticed the devs are taking steps towards using unlicensed music now but there's still a fair amount of it even in the latest release)

Offline Vidmaster

exactly...

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Couldn't each member of the BP team just open up a patreon account?
Stuff

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I don't think the method by which the money flows would matter as much as the fact that money was flowing.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.