Author Topic: Rogue One Ships (Spoiler!)  (Read 17696 times)

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Rogue One Ships (Spoiler!)
Some pics from new Starfighters in the upcoming Rogue One

U-Wing
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Re: Rogue One Ships (Spoiler!)
It's amazing how Renegade Legion-y that rebel fighter looks like. Star Wars / FASA going full circle, I see.

Also, for God's sake, have they seriously fitted four X-Wing engines to a Y-wing cockpit and called it a concept? "Not Final', I know, but still...
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

I love the rebel starfighter design tbh
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

These designs gave me heart burn.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually I thought the cockpit was more snowspeeder than y-wing.  And aerial assault?  Are these both atmospheric craft?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Enioch

Yeah the 'grille' and small blasters (?) in the front do look speeder-ish, but that big round bit in the back gives me Y-wing vibes.

@PH: if they were in a contextual vacuum, these are, indeed decent designs. However, they are not (in a contextual vacuum). The TIE design is so established that any new variations on the wing design just for the sake of the 'new' design have begun to annoy me: I liked the TIEs in TFA because they were a reasonable upgrade to the old TIEs, without messing with OMG SPIKY SLANTED AIN'T IT COOL solar panel designs.

As for the rebel starfighter, it is very much a kitbash. If I could not recognise every bit of it (with the exception of those forward-swept wings) from one of the already established SW-verse fightercraft, I would not mind, but just the fact that they took a cockpit from here and a couple of engines from there and bashed them together pisses me off.

Also, what is that huge 'chin' under the cockpit and exactly what function do those long 'wings' serve? If they were, for instance, necessary to house weaponry (which would require specific casing length), that'd be fine; but I can't see why they would create such a massive silhouette when their stubby guns are mounted in front of the cockpit...

Offline Dain

Also, what is that huge 'chin' under the cockpit

Doesn't look like they are all going to land well though:

As a troop transport I can accept it, as a fighter less so. I quite like the TIE though.

Oh and the "not final" refers to the books these pictures came from. Not the concepts.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:20:25 am by Dain »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The TIE isn't bad, though it does look like a post-Interceptor design variant, or perhaps an atmospheric variant not intended for use in space. The Rebel fighter looks rather silly, almost like an "ugly" kitbash design (it's been clearly established than Rebels are better than that). If they made the kitbashing more obvious it could make a spiffy pirate interceptor, at least.

Offline Erkhyan

• My ramblings
I don’t mind the kitbash design. I think canon was already stretching suspension of disbelief a bit too far, what with Rebels being able to secure new and unique starfighter models almost as often as the rich and well-connected Empire.

Offline Enioch

Also, what is that huge 'chin' under the cockpit

Doesn't look like they are all going to land well though:

As a troop transport I can accept it, as a fighter less so. I quite like the TIE though.

Oh and the "not final" refers to the books these pictures came from. Not the concepts.

What the actual f....

You mean to tell me that this thing is a starfighter and dropship?

I call bull****. There's no way it can be a competitive starfighter if it also has to carry a platoon (I see at least 4 people in that screenshot) of troops in combat. Especially against TIEs - those things are known for turning on a dime.

It might possibly be viable if its weaponry is based on long-range Itano-missile-circus levels of proton torp launchers instead of close-range dogfighting, but then it'd be a missile dropship, not a starfighter.

> expecting star wars military doctrine to be realistic
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline starlord

Enioch, you and I thought exactly the same, the bow of this thing looks like a spiculum from RL.

Funny.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually, the OT was generally based on realistic WWII military doctrine for the most part.  Carriers, landing transports, many ships had real world counterparts that mirrored their function, and thereby inspired their form.  So expecting the same from the new universe helmsmen isn't too crazy.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It would make sense if this fighter was more of a heavy gunship with a (small, sort of like Russian Hind gunships) troop carrying capacity. It certainly doesn't look the part, though it might be because of its design. It seems that it's actually a large spacecraft by SW standards. It doesn't seem to carry missiles (though it might be a bit like TIE Bomber in that regard, with missile bay able to be replaced with a troop bay), but in SW has little in terms of missiles anyway, so these guns might be sufficient for the ships's needs. Remember, Y-Wings were capable of fighting TIE fighters, even if they did suck at it.

Offline Dain

Hey Dragon, how do you tell if a star wars spaceship carries missiles? Also where was it in the films that they said Y-wings are bad at fighting TIE fighters?

I also don't think we can be certain those U-wing things are starfighters, the text is a complete placeholder.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Well, take a look at Battle of Yavin and count how many Y-Wings survive at the end. IIRC, only one made it out. Sure, they were at a disadvantage, but X-Wings managed a lot better.

As for how can I tell? Well, they either have missile ports or they don't. :) The new one certainly doesn't seem like it does, except maybe in front of the bottom pod (but then, it'd be hard to fit both missiles and troopers).

Offline Dain

0.09 X-wing survival vs. 0.125 Y wing survival. Seems they did about the same really. I think in the films every fighter blows up just as easily as every other.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
not true, the AI was so bad in X-wing that they were ~fine~ at dogfighting TIEs  :lol:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Enioch

Also, the Y-wings have turrets. You could argue that, even if they wallowed around like pigs, they could still enjoy a hemispherical field of anti-snubfighter cover, beyond their front-mounted guns. Sort of like the P-61 IRL.

These new 'starfighters' do not appear to have anything of the sort and are bigger (I'd say at least four times bigger, based on the size of that troop hold) and more heavily loaded than Y-wings. So, unless those four X-Wing-like engines output more power than one would expect, these things are going to have real trouble in a dogfight.

You know what would make me withdraw all objections re: functionality of this design (yes, I realise the futility of discussing functionality of a soft sci-fi design)? If that round thing in the back was an omnidirectional proton torpedo launcher.