Off-Topic Discussion > General Discussion

MORTAL ENGINES: Peter Jackson and Bryan See: a match made in heaven?

(1/13) > >>

Phantom Hoover:
So the first actual trailer for the film just dropped:

I've been pretty excited about this for a while! The books are seriously very good (and that's not just childhood nostalgia speaking, I got Aesaar to read them last year and he loved them) and having Peter Jackson and the rest of the LOTR crew adapt them was a pretty fantastic turn of events. It looks like they've captured a lot of the spectacle and character of the books, and added plenty of their own (I love the insectile kite-planes they've turned the books' blimps into), though whether they've stayed true to the excellent character writing is quite hard to tell from a bunch of exposition cut into a trailer.

They totally ****ed Hester's scar, though. She has 100% more face than she should!

Novachen:
Never heard of that... and it is nothing of my taste at it seems.

The E:
If I wasn't sold on the story already (Seriously, read the books, they're really cool), this trailer would've done it. This looks like the sort of visually stunning epic-scale adventure that Jackson can deliver really well, and while I still have my quibbles about the toned-down makeup job for Hester, everything else looks properly brilliant.

I am also looking forward to see PANZERSTADT BAYREUTH in there when I saw that pop up in the text I couldn't stop giggling

Nightmare:
Panzerstadt Bareuth WTF? That seems like they don't plan to market this thing in Germany :lol:

Enioch:
Hester is pretty what the hell.

You know what? No.

I'm sorry, but this grates. It is a personal peeve of mine and I'm not arguing that anyone else should feel the same way, but when an integral part of a character's physical and mental landscape is the fact that they're disfigured and ugly, then I expect them to be depicted as such. The fact that Hollywood seems unable to divorce the 'hero' concept from the 'looks pretty, maybe a bit rugged' concept is pissing me off, perhaps more than it should. When the character goes 'but I am ugly and people are horrified and that has made me bitter and angry', the audience's response should not be 'why is everyone horrified, she looks so badass', the audience's response should be the exact same horror that has led the character to be bitter and angry at others.

What makes it even worse is that Philip Reeve actually discusses this matter in the books, when Hester watches a play based on her life and the lead actor has this teeny cute scar and it pisses Hester off. It's like Reeve saw the future and snarked about it pre-emptively.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version