Author Topic: newbie  (Read 1947 times)

Offline tingy

Hi all

new here - recently discovered the existence of blue planet expansion which then led me to this whole comunity and cant wait to get stuck into the mods available

im not the most computer literate so am terrible at installing and getting mods to work on games so the ease of the Knossos launcher is perfect for me :D

but im having a major issue with it theres a permenant crackle on the game and the sound is terrible, I dont really know my way around the forum yet so wheres the best place to post about this to get some help, ive tried searching but cant seam to find any reports of a similar issue so im guessing it must be an issue my end.

thanks

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
:welcomered:

Wah gwahn tingy ting.  ;)

How did you come to find Blue Planet and how did you install it? 

Knossos normally sets everything up for you with little to no hassle.  Are your hardware drivers up to date?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline tingy

:D

hi Col Dekker

A play through of blue plannet popped up on my youtube suggested vids so i gave it a watch and was really impressed, as i said im crap at getting mods to work so i was aware of these years ago but it was more of the odd mission you could download but wow stuffs come a long way i really like the custom ships and Babylon 5 inspiration with the spinning sections really made me want to replay it all

im gonna play the ported freespace 1 campaign then FS2 then get onto the mods - looking foward to it tbh

so i found this thread (guess my search fu was really weak)
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=48160.0
and followed the openAL advice and fingers crossed the crackle is gone so im currently redownloading everything and hopefully I will be away

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Don't worry about your search fu,  it's not the pinnacle of search engine tech in here.   

Let us know how you get on.

(I was voice of orestes tactical) 😜😜
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Tingy, I just got back to Freespace and the HLP a few months ago after being away for 17 years. I'm loving playing FS1 and 2 again, especially loving playing FS1 Port with the FS2 engine. Also, get Knossos. Seriously, get it because it makes installing and playing most Freespace mods a snap once you get it properly installed and configured. It keeps track of which mods you have and which you have yet to get, a very helpful feat.

Sound issues I know nothing about, though.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

I know that you can manually install Open AL which used to be required for FS sound, but I'm not sure if that will fix your specific issue.

Offline tingy

Don't worry about your search fu,  it's not the pinnacle of search engine tech in here.   

Let us know how you get on.

(I was voice of orestes tactical) 😜😜

Awesome will keep an ear out  :p

Tingy, I just got back to Freespace and the HLP a few months ago after being away for 17 years. I'm loving playing FS1 and 2 again, especially loving playing FS1 Port with the FS2 engine. Also, get Knossos. Seriously, get it because it makes installing and playing most Freespace mods a snap once you get it properly installed and configured. It keeps track of which mods you have and which you have yet to get, a very helpful feat.

Sound issues I know nothing about, though.

about the same for me i know i have it on disc somewhere (probably in the loft somewhere) but GOG have it on sale for £4 so it was a no brainer particulalry as my laptop doesnt have a disc drive so id have to carry my portable one around with me to play it

ive got Knossos working now so im good to go  :yes:

I know that you can manually install Open AL which used to be required for FS sound, but I'm not sure if that will fix your specific issue.

From the thread i posted above had to delete OpenAL32.dll from the FSO folder and re-install from the openal installer had to do it every time i downloaded a mod so looks like the mods might come with an old version that my computer doesnt like

now i know the fix im off to play the FS port  :D

Everything I know about modding FS2 has come from doing the same thing you are, so keep at it and enjoy the campaigns!