Author Topic: BHX Babylonian History X - WIP  (Read 61162 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: BHX Babylonian History X - WIP
Random nebulae placement in BHX:

Looks at the planet's shadow in relation to the position of the sun.

You lucky, lucky bastard.

That was just luck right? Or have you actually gone to the trouble of making sure your randomly placed planets always display the correct shadow?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
 :lol: Pure luck obviously. I've not looked into coding it to do that yet. It may be possible by giving an offset pitch and heading for the sun from the planet but even thinking about it gives me a headache. The co-ordinate system in FRED is a little strange.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I asked cause the idea of doing that with SEXPs is enough to give me nightmares. Maybe with WMCs scripting but with just SEXPs?   :eek:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
    • The Heat Em Up Web site
I thought you would have that problem with planets ;) Using an offset pitch and heading for the planet to coincide with the suns position would work great but that will be an awfull lot of work :doubt:  It might be a good idea to use a background which has been set up with sun and planets accordingly and use the sexp to add the random nebula, but the problem with this is some of the nebula may be placed over the planets :blah:

I think the best way for the planet backgrounds would be to use skyboxes, I will get a few done this weekend so will will be able to test a couple next week to see how they look ;)
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

Are You Ready?  Find Out!
www.heatemup.co.uk

Visit  -  http://proxima-fleet.com for the heatemup Forums.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I thought you would have that problem with planets ;) Using an offset pitch and heading for the planet to coincide with the suns position would work great but that will be an awfull lot of work :doubt:

Well assuming the idea works it just means storing a Pitch and Heading offset for each sun a team has. So it's 5*2 extra variables per team, that's 20 for both teams. Might take us over the 90-100 variable limit. Depends on the mission. Oh that's assuming all planets have a Bank (rotation) of 0 degrees. Add that into the mix and it definitely won't work. Aside from the variable usage though it's not much work.

It might be a good idea to use a background which has been set up with sun and planets accordingly and use the sexp to add the random nebula, but the problem with this is some of the nebula may be placed over the planets :blah:

Hard code the sun and planet positions? Seeing the same planet in the same position every time yould detract a lot from the fun of the random backgruonds I think. I'm going to try and avoid that if possible.

I think the best way for the planet backgrounds would be to use skyboxes, I will get a few done this weekend so will will be able to test a couple next week to see how they look ;)

Sure experiment away. I'll compare one vs the other and take the best basically. Even with the sun/planet positions unco-ordinated though the random backgrounds don't look bad at all. You may be surprised (once you get the missions to load).
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
Ill try making a new pilot and see if that resolves it ;)
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Well after reading about Andreas Katsulas I almost don't feel like posting this:

It's a fairly simple effect really but it still looks nice.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2006, 09:22:31 am by IPAndrews »

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
So you opted for the bitmap, looks good :) If you checked out the new pcx`s I did last night (well at 5 o`clock this morning LOL) there are still a couple left to do eg. homeworld destroyed and safe etc.

Ill be uploading some nice screens over the weekend :)
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk

wow, so you finally destroyed a planet :)
congratulations!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Yes I used a bitmap. It means we can use the standard tables (adding a model means an extra table entry), plus there are issues with making planet size models explode. Namely the debris. The game engine doesn't handle planet sized debris very well. It appears not to move and looks very silly when it goes pop. In that respect it's not really much better than the bitmap and really not worth the hassle.

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
The BHX web site is now online - http://www.bhx.stargame.co.uk/index.htm

On the site you will find information about BHX, downloads screenshots etc. ;)

Enjoy
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Shall we post some work in progress news?

Well...

Work is... progressing.

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
Shall we post some work in progress news?

Well...

Work is... progressing.

Work in progress update - edit 2

Work has progressed and is still in the process of progressing :)  :lol:
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
There are some spelling mistakes on that site.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
If you can spot them all you win a cookie.

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
And some milk!!!

Didnt have time to spell speck, thats what the viewers are for! teamwork!! :lol:

So post any mistakes you may spot and I will ammend them (yes I, teamwork!!) You spot them and ill ammend them!!)
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
How about BXH. That one in bold and the large font  :p.

Offline madaboutgames

• Heatemup People!
LOL - well it does say what is BXH?  quite appropriate. :lol:

I will ammend that tomorrow, along with a big list of user submitted spelling checks :lol:
*The Earth Brakiri War*
*B5 Star Fury Pilot*

www.heatemup.co.uk

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
In the news page, you've got the HLP link listed as "Hards Light Productions"

In the Contacts page:

" BHX is the brainchild of IPAndrews and Madaboutgames. You can contact both us us in the "The Babylon Proejct" forum at Hard Light Productions (also iinked on the links page)."

What kind of a word is "iinked"?

In the EA description, Sheridan is written with 2 "R"s.

In the Centauri description, you have the race spelled as "Cnetauri" once in the 1st paragraph.

In the Minbari description, you have a line "they are a very private race and do not enbark on the path or war lightly."  Firstly, it's "embark", not "enbark", and secondly I think you meant it to day "path of war" not "path or war".

In the League description, 2nd paragraph, you have "which" written as "whcih".

In the Vorlon description, 1st paragraph, you have "their" written as "thir", and "known" written as "nown".  In the 2nd paragraph, you have "races" written as "thraces" (BSG moment? :lol: ).

In the Shadow description, 1st paragraph, 3rd sentance, you have "there" which should be "their", and another "thir".

In the Drakh description, 1st paragraph, 1st sentance, you have an instance of "where" which should be "were".  3rd sentance, has "dedicated" written as "didicated".

In the Raiders description, 1st paragraph, 2nd sentance: "They mainly comprise of humans although they are mainly comprised of humans, other alien..."  you appear to be repeating yourself.  3rd sentance, "...,they male thir money by..." should read "...,they make their money by...".  4th sentance, you have "acquire" written as "aqquire".

In the ISA description, 1st paragraph, more of a point of accuracy, you have the Victory listed as having "shielding", which could be confused with energy shields.  I'd recommend changing this to "armor".  2nd paragraph, 5th sentence, you have "though" written as "tuff".

Besides spelling mistakes, you may want to convert the .bmp screenshots to jpg format.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Ever thought of being a lawyer?