Author Topic: some corrections on some .tbl info you might find useful  (Read 3499 times)

some corrections on some .tbl info you might find useful
for awhile i was trying to figure out what most of everything in the AI_profiles.tbl, AI.tbl, and the weapons.tbl meant. i got some help from the wiki and from some of the people on this website... but i found out a lot of things the people said and that the wiki said were wrong. so i did a little testing myself and this is what i found

AI.tble info

the A.I. accuracy has nothing to do with the rate of fire as i have heard a few people say... but it may have something to do with the amount of seconds it takes for the A.I. to lock onto a target.

A.I. evasion is like it says... the higher the rating, the more the A.I. will move around when evading.

A.I. courage, i am not to sure about yet... but i think it has something to do with deciding whether or not to go into evasive mode or staying in offensive mode... in other words...  if its courage is high then it will constantly try to get behind you and it will usually be on the offensive trying to keep you off his six... but if its courage is low, then it will usually be on the defensive and in most cases you will end up on his six.

A.I. patience i dont know about... i read that it does nothing, but  ive read a few things on the wiki sight to be untrue.

AI_profile.tbl info

A.I in range time- has something to do with the ships avoiding colliding with another ship. when two appollo fighters play a game of chicken on the very hard difficulty level the two ships will usually collide. but if you raise the number on A.I. in range time it will increase the chance of them avoiding a head to head collision. if you raise it to high, they will fly toward eachother at an angle and not head on... and if you raise it way to high they will fly in the opposite direction.

predict position delay- is the amount of time in seconds it takes for a an A.I. to lock onto a target, in which i believe A.I. accuracy and predict postition delay goes together.

A.I. shield management- is the time in seconds it takes for an A.I. to adjust its shielding.

Friendly A.I. fire delay scale-  is the rate of fire of the friendly A.I.. a rating of 1 is the normal rate of fire. anything higher and the A.I. will have a slower rate of fire.

Hostile A.I. fire delay scale- is the same as the friendlys except its for hostile.

Neutral A.I. fire delay scale-  same as hostile and friendly but its for the neutral faction. in the freespace wiki it doesnt show a Neutral A.I. fire delay scale, but it should because it works.

A.I. turn time scale- adds or decreases a ships turning/banking speed.

Weapons.tbl

Max weapon range- only works for secondarys... if you want to increase the the distance in which the A.I. fires its primaries you must increase the velocity of the weapon... if you increase the life time of the weapon, it will not change anything... you must change the velocity only to increase or decrease the distance in which the A.I. starts to fire its primaries. also i still havnt figured out if max weapon range effects only the player or A.I. or both.

anyways, maybe most of you know all this, but the last time i was on which was about a month ago, i could find no help with all of this. i searched the wiki and i asked here in the forums, and i got some answers but most of them were wrong. i hope this helps anyone. and forgive me for my spelling as i know so many of you are obsessed with :p, but im in a hurry and i really could care less :) as long as you can read and understand it.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:53:16 pm by Jeffro429 »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: some corrections on some .tbl info you might find useful
I'll add better explanations to the wiki articles though you didn't get everything right.

For AI stuff... the accuracy line was wrong in wiki - it defines the error added to AI aim and not the rate of fire - but other entries in ai.tbl were ok.

Stuff from ai_profiles was there already.. Can't really see anything wrong there. But where on Earth did you come up with 'neutral AI fire delay scale'?

Max weapon range is just an additional limiting factor that can be used with weapon ranges. If lifetime x velocity is not high enough then it wont do anything. For player thing has effect only with 'no dumbfire' weapons as those wont lock on target until the weapon range is reached (lower of lifetime x velocity or max weapon range). AI uses the same limit for everything,
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
A.I. patience i dont know about... i read that it does nothing, but  ive read a few things on the wiki sight to be untrue.

AI_Patience does nothing. I've been through the code and checked that one myself.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Really? Any comments by [V] about what it was supposed to do?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Game parses it in but doesn't do a thing with it. No comments what it was meant to do apart from the small info in the retail table file:

Quote from: ai.tbl
;$patience:      0..100   how willing to wait for advantage before pursuing goal

Neutral A.I. fire delay scale- works for the neutral faction

in the first freespace when your fighting the vasudens they are a neutral faction while the shivans are hostile.

Hostile A.I. fire delay scale doesnt work for the vasudens because they are a neutral faction in the campain, so you need Neutral A.I. fire delay scale for the Neutral vasudens....

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
To put it simply... There is no parsing code for 'neutral ai fire delay'. There is nothing in the code about it - hence it does not exists.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
WEll, maby the coders could actually make the AI patience do something :P

Really? Any comments by [V] about what it was supposed to do?

A text document accompanied the source code release and admitted that Ai_patience was never implemented. Plus, I think there's a comment in the FS2 tables that says so. IIRC the text document is somewhere on the SCP website.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Yea, but do you think the coders should make it do something?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Absolutely not.

The table has been fiddled with by legions of modders all thinking it actually did something. If it were suddenly to start doing something it would unbalance every single campaign that doesn't have the default values.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Spoilsport.

Think of the chaos! The destruction! I thought you would enjoy that. :drevil:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
And who do you think would end up dealing with the next 2 years worth of questions about why campaign x doesn't work? :rolleyes: :p

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, when you put it that way... But you would support it if you could find someone to answer the questions - admit it! We all know you're actually Dr. Evils clone! :drevil: