Author Topic: Non-Canon Dates  (Read 4083 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I just went to see the NTF Rebellion page. There is absolutely zero canon information supporting the fact that the events occurred at the dates that are specified in the article. Mustang19 apparently removed the non-canon tag, citing the fact that it is "useful information." No matter how useful information is, if it's not canon, it's not canon. I pointed this out on the discussion page but Mustang19 has said that they're "estimates" and they should not be marked as non-canon. I completely disagree on this. Estimates are non-canon no matter how plausible they are. Can someone help me out here, I don't want to spark an edit war.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Well.. I can't claim to be expert or anything in the 'FS lore' but my take on issue is such that if there is non-canon content on that page it should be clearly marked. That is IMHO info being non-canon doesnt really make it any less valuable.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
AFAIK that information was extrapolated from the dates given in command briefs, and was included solely to maintain continuity. It's 'fanon', that is, something not explicity defined, but generally agreed upon by the fan community for the sake of consistency.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Maybe a fanon template is in order?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Absolutely goddamn not. Fanon is anti-thought.

It's possible the dates were specified in a lost VW or VBB post by someone with knowledge, too, as they were in the old wiki as well. I know that those for FS1 were.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Take a look at the NTF rebellion talk page. Since we're relying almost exclusively on command briefings for dates, we can never get an exact canon date for anything as missions may have taken place days after their preceding command brief.

I added a note at the top saying that the dates are estimations. Note that the FS1 timeline says that all dates are estimations as well.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Take a look at the NTF rebellion talk page. Since we're relying almost exclusively on command briefings for dates,[...]
Ehhh... what Command Brief dates are we talkin' 'bout here, exactly? I've never seen any dates in FS2.

I completely agree with Snail on this one. If there is non-canonial information in an article, it must be marked as non canon. A wiki is a compilation of facts, no fanon RefBible.

Someone - I don't know who exactly - originally put the dates there. Now that I think of it, it appears that FS1 had dates in their command briefings but FS2 did not.

I went back through the article and clarified this.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Oh, it's not that I wanted to have those dates to be removed. I found them quite interesting. My point was just that they should be marked non-canon specifically. ;-)