Author Topic: Download link/Related links discussion  (Read 3579 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Download link/Related links discussion
I thought that kind of change is widely accepted, but IMO it's the case of discussing it here to prevent further confusion and verify if the old version is better than the new one I have been adding for a while.

Old section:

Download link

<Link> / [[Link to mod/campaign article]] : <link>

New section:

Related Links

*[[Link to mod/campaign article]]:
**[<link> Release thread | Site's name]
**'''[<link> Download | FreeSpaceMods.net]'''   <--- in bold to make it relevant
**[<link> Promo video | YouTube.com]

In my opinion, there are several advantages:

1) More information. "Download link" either contains a raw download link and a link to the mod/campaign's article. In Related links, more info can be added: links to release/mystery threads, teasers, downloads, videos, etc. etc.

The way links are posted also looks more professional: "Download | FreeSpaceSite.com" seems far better than a raw "http://www.freespacesite.com/freespace/downloads/file.02".

2) Quick information. Many community members can rely on superb connections other members simply don't have. Slow and/dial up connections, sometimes, pose serious problems. I, for example, can't download sites from Rapidshare due to the nature of my connection... I've also had problems with Mediafire and sites that favor community members living in specific countries (such as some American sites). Specifying the name of the site is, IMO, a handy way to solve this kind of problems. Here's an example:

*[[Mod/Campaign Article]]:
**Download | FreeSpaceMods.net                         <--- bolded, because it's the most relevant one in terms of availability
**Release thread | Hard-Light Productions.net
**Release thread | Game-Warden.com
**Official eyecandy thread | Game-Warden.com
**Promo video 01 | YouTube.com
**Promo video 02 | YouTube.com

Obviously, there can be more sections. If a certain asset is used by 2+ mods and/or several versions of it are available (demo versions, full versions, alternate versions, etc. etc.)

It's also possible, if necessary, to divide the section into multiple subsections:

*[[Mod/Campaign Article]]:
**Websites
***Official site | Sectorgame.com                                   <--- may be bolded because it's the most relevant link of its subsection
***Game page | ModDB.com                                                           <--- does it qualify as website?

**Threads
***Release thread | Hard-Light Productions.net                <--- same as above
***Official eyecandy thread | Hard-Light Productions.net
***Mystery thread | Hard-Light Productions.net

**Downloads
***Campaign | FreeSpaceMods.net                             <--- same as above
***Demo | FreeSpaceMods.net
***Campaign | Mediafire.com
***Model dump | Mediafire.com

**Videos
***Promo video | YouTube.com                                   <--- same as above
***Promo video | Hulu (???)

Please note how most, if not all, compatibility issues can be partially solved. I would personally click on the FSMods/YouTube link rather than on the Mediafire/Hulu(???) one.  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:30:27 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Re: Download link/Related links discussion
If I created this, there must have been a reason.

I got no replies on this thread. I was browsing the Wiki today to make additional contributes after a several-days-long absence, and I found out that my account has been blocked and a change of this kind ("Download link" ---> "Related Links") has been reverted again. I considered the lack of replies here as an approval or, at least, as the absence of major complaints about the system I proposed. In other words, I assumed that there's nothing wrong in "Related Links".

Can we please discuss this kind of changes here? I surely did not know that if the number of related links is low, it's more appropriate to keep the old "Download link" section.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Okay, so here's a reply:

I'm not sure we need to play around with all the fancy formatting methods like using bolds or the straight vertical line you're so keen on. As Goober said, clearer is better. There's no need to overcomplicate it just for aesthetics.

A simple
Code: [Select]
*[http://www.mywebsite.com/myfile.zip Download] the campaign herelink will do very well.

As for your suggestion about the section's title (Download link --> Related Links), I'm fine with it, but please be consistent with the use of your capitals within each article. If the article has sections such as "Background and Setting", then it's fine if it's "Related Links". However, if it's "Background and setting", make it "Related links".
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
As I stated above, links in bold are "highlighted" - in other words, they're the most prominent ones of their respective sections. When it comes to downloads, for example, a link to FSMods is much more handy than a link to, let's say, Mediafire.

Code: [Select]
*[http://www.mywebsite.com/myfile.zip Download] the campaign here

But that wouldn't mention the name of the site, which IMO is very important. I've already specified how some sites are unfriendly to certain Internet users.

Obviously, it's still possible to check the name of the sites (right click on the link), but that wouldn't be handy (IMO) if the list of links is long (or people would have to check all links to find the one they're looking for).

In the past week, for example, I added links to ModDB profiles and YouTube videos. Adding those links to "Download link" sections is not as appropriate as adding them to "Related Links". :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
What's the use of bolding the links if there are so few of them? Why isn't sorting the links in order of importance sufficient? And... why should I be bothered by the website's name if all I want is to download a campaign/model? You can add that information if it does matter, but I wouldn't approve of a policy that dictates to name the website.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
When the number of links is very, very low there are no links in bold.

Mentioning the website's name may be useful in a variety of situations, like videos and threads. What if there are release threads of a given campaign in both HLP and GW, and I'm looking for the one posted on GW?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Ideally, the HLP one will be at the top, and the GW one would be under it. That's the order I'd take for granted.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Yeah, it makes sense. Don't forget, however, that we may also have release threads on Sectorgame, FSMods and eventually Hades Combine (if the site will ever get resurrected).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:30:48 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon