Author Topic: Shivan fighters  (Read 12429 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Grunt minion22 edited the descriptive statistics for some Shivan fighters (Maneuverability and Armor). He said he had a source, but he wasn't specific about it. Previously, they were just "N/A", as they should be according to the retail tables. Whatever he found there must be something fan-made. We have a couple of strange things here: Allegedly, the Aeshma's maneuverability is "Excellent" and the Nephilim's armor is "Light Capital".

Does anyone know where these pieces of info come from?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:47:03 pm by TopAce »
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Qent

No idea, but I tried it, and he's right. With just a single TBM (no MediaVPs) allowing me to fly a Seraphim, I can see those descriptions. Who woulda' thought....

EDIT: Here's the relevant shp.tbm:
Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes
$Name: SB Seraphim
;; Note no descriptions here.
$Allowed PBanks: ( "Subach HL-7" )
$Default PBanks: ( "Subach HL-7" "Subach HL-7" "Subach HL-7" )
$Allowed SBanks: ( "Rockeye" "Tempest" )
$Default SBanks: ( "Tempest" "Tempest" "Rockeye" "Rockeye" )
$SBank Capacity: ( 40, 40, 80, 80 )
$Flags: ( "player_ship" "bomber" )
#End

EDIT2: I believe it's hard-coded. In missionshipchoice.cpp circa line 1070 you can find some of those strings.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 06:59:59 am by Qent »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
But...the Aeshma having "Excellent" maneuverability is just...WRONG.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I suppose those stats don't have to correspond to in-game stats. I hear that's similar for the Prometheus S, right?

EDIT: After reading it again, You probably knew this already, though.

Offline Qent

Actually in this case, they do correspond to in-game stats, but they use a different scale from Terran and Vasudan craft (which have proper descriptions).

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Who committed this (atrocity)?

I'm guessing this was put in as placeholder text for ships without anything in the statistics fields...?

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Is the Aeshma actually good for anything? At all? Besides being cannon fodder?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It'd be good as a cargo container if it could dock with freighters.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
But...the Aeshma having "Excellent" maneuverability is just...WRONG.

For reference, its $Rotation time is 3.3, 3.3, 3.7. That's not bad, but I wouldn't call that "Excellent," given that the Perseus has 3.3, 3.3, 3.3 and its maneuverability is only "High".
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
The Basilisk, at least would be deadly with a human pilot flying it. The AI just doesn't know how to fly a Basilisk at all.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The Basilisk, at least would be deadly with a human pilot flying it. The AI just doesn't know how to fly a Basilisk at all.

Well the Basilisk is slow and unmanueverable, even in the hands of a human pilot it is still cannon fodder for space superiority fighters and to some degree intercepters because it is too easily outmanuevered. They are hoowever major threats to freighter and cruisers, I suppose it could be thought of as the shivan equivelent of the Aries.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

In a head-to-head fight Aeshmas are fairly competent. The Shivans have a known problem with assuming a single pass will be enough.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Aeshma is basically a lighter version of the Basilisk, isn't it? Assault, swarm missiles, etc....

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
to some degree intercepters
When a Perseus can easily take down six Basilisks in a single pass if you do it right? :P

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
The Perseus is really more of a space superiority fighter, though...

...However, that's still a good point!  :P
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Yuuz

When they appeared in FS1 I thought of the Basilisk as being the Shivans Herc. Pretty much everything they had was the alternate version of what we had, but a bit better, more dangerous, and more specialized at what it did. The Basilisk AI can be taken down super easy by the player in any fighter, but get behind the squad and start firing, but you, or any bomber or cruiser are caught in front you will get mincemeated.

I do not see the Nep having light capship armor.

The Seraphim? Definitely. It takes almost as many hits as a cain class cruiser...

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
to some degree intercepters
When a Perseus can easily take down six Basilisks in a single pass if you do it right? :P

I was reffering to afterburners with guns, namely the Serapis and the Horus. 
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Can anyone verify if the SCP really did add this "feature" before I revert the changes?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I do not see the Nep having light capship armor.

The Seraphim? Definitely. It takes almost as many hits as a cain class cruiser...

The Nephilim and Seraphim have the exact same armor/shield stats :wtf:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Snail

• SC 5
placebo