Author Topic: Ship MediaVP images  (Read 5096 times)

Offline carn1x

I was thinking about updating the various images of ships that are out of date in terms of referring to the updated MediaVPs. Is there any etiquette with regards to this? Should I preserve 3.6.10 images and put 3.6.12 alongside them, or just flat out replace them?

More specifically, what tool(s) are recommended for posing the models? EDIT: I just realised the tech room is probably fine for this, but just incase there is a more lightweight option rather than running the game...

And more adventurously, I was thinking it might be nice to provide some animated GIFs based on a capture of tech room models, especially since some models just look fantastic in a moving environment with lighting angles and normal mapping etc. Would there be any objection to this?

just replace the 3.6.10's.... That is what improving means.
About the animated gif's.... Dunno if the wiki can support it, and if it does, add them to a gallery at the bottom of the page. If you don't know how, yell

More specifically, what tool(s) are recommended for posing the models? EDIT: I just realised the tech room is probably fine for this, but just incase there is a more lightweight option rather than running the game...
The ship lab is probably a better option, since it has a pure black background. Press F3 while in the mainhall.

And more adventurously, I was thinking it might be nice to provide some animated GIFs based on a capture of tech room models, especially since some models just look fantastic in a moving environment with lighting angles and normal mapping etc. Would there be any objection to this?
That's definitely possible (most of the weapons have it done that way), but don't make the resolution too high, or people with a slow connection will suffer.

Offline carn1x

Ok cool thanks for the advice guys :D I'll try to keep them small, is it possible to include a mouse hover or other trigger the GIF load with a warning for low bandwidth users?

Even MORE adventurously, whats the possibility of making a sprite that uses javascript to change the image between different frames based on the horizontal coordinates over the image? Obviously this needs Javascript allowed on the wiki, and I'm not sure what rules there are about that, or even if such a thing is possible for contributors? I fully understand if JS is off limits.

get the first ideas done and then we'll think more.. adventurously.. What do you say?

Offline carn1x

get the first ideas done and then we'll think more.. adventurously.. What do you say?

^_^v

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Please no javascript gimmicks. Superfluous, unneeded and potentially annoying.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
We actually had the MVP pictures up on everything at one point, but they were torn down someone.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline carn1x

We actually had the MVP pictures up on everything at one point, but they were torn down someone.

Those bloody Shivans! Is there no level they won't sink to?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think it was Andro, blame him.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

I have a nonspecific urge to blame Blackwolf.

A Feddie Story

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

I have a nonspecific urge to blame Blackwolf.

You wound me. :rolleyes:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
You wound me. :rolleyes:

Like I said, I don't actually remember. :P

A Feddie Story

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
Why were they taken down? I tried to find it in the history before of what happened to them, but it doesn't seem to exist.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Why were they taken down? I tried to find it in the history before of what happened to them, but it doesn't seem to exist.
They were replaced with higher resolution images of the retail models, I believe with the ultimate intention that the MediaVP upgraded pictures would get their own section (as they do on some pages) but this intent was evidently not followed by action.

Offline carn1x

Just in case anybody thinks I've asked the question and then run away at the mere sight of having to actually do anything, I'll be all over this **** in about a week or so when my work schedule decides to calm down :)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
:bump:

Did you look at the file names I upload my retail images under? The original images were deleted because they were unused; I did not overwrite them.

They were replaced with higher resolution images of the retail models, I believe with the ultimate intention that the MediaVP upgraded pictures would get their own section (as they do on some pages) but this intent was evidently not followed by action.

Yes, this was my intent: to upload another image of each and every ship at exactly 480 x 340 pixels at maximum JPG quality - this was why all the retail images I uploaded had the "-old" suffix just before the file extension. However, my MacBook and IBM have Intel cards, which do not render normal maps. After receiving some complaints on IRC, I decided not to proceed.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 07:31:39 am by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Any deleted images can be restored upon request.