Author Topic: Release: Incursion and Return to SOL (SCP edition)  (Read 14941 times)

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Release: Incursion and Return to SOL (SCP edition)
Incursion and Return to SOL (SCP edition)

A campaign for FreeSpace 2 by MAW

Upgraded by Macfie

Incursion - Nine years after Capella is destroyed, the Shivan menace resurfaces.  But where are they coming from?  Even if the GTVA discovers the Shivans source of origin, can they be stopped? 

Return to Sol - The prospect is near of Sol finally rejoining the GTVA using a human made Knossos portal.  But those who oppose change will do anything they can to stop it.

Since the the upgrade was done by only one person, this is not a complete upgrade.  Everything was done to make sure the campaign could be played with the latest nightly and would be compatible with the media VPs.  The starfield.pof was added to all the missions but no further work was done on backgrounds.  A couple of the missions were rebalanced to keep them playable, but other than that the gameplay has been left the same.  Limited testing was done.

Both campaigns are in the same folder and share assets.  There are three campaign files.  You can play the incursion as a campaign and the return to SOL as a campaign or play both together as one long campaign using the Incursion_Return campaign. 

The campaign is designed for use with the 2014 edition of the mediaVPs.  This also requires a nightly build created after 1/1/2014.

There is also a mod.ini file labeled mod.ini.3612 for use with the MediaVPs_3612.  To use the MediaVPs_3612 just delete or rename the mod.ini file and rename the mod.ini.3612 to mod.ini.

On gamefront: http://www.gamefront.com/files/23964746/Incursion_Return_7z
Moddb: http://www.moddb.com/groups/freespace-campaign-restoration-project-team/downloads/incursion-and-return-to-sol-scp-version
freespacemods.net: http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.914

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 07:02:43 pm by Macfie »
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Lorric

Re: Release: The Incursion and the Return to SOL (SCP edition)
Heyyyy! Thank you very much! I will be sure to play these (through 3.6.12) and then you'll have one more test. If I have any trouble I'll let you know, and if I have no trouble, I'll let you know that too. :)

BTW, it's not The Incursion, it's just Incursion.

Did you enjoy playing the campaigns? I'm going to do the big campaign. One big monster campaign! :D

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
Re: Release: Incursion and Return to SOL (SCP edition)
good job :)
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

I get no speech in the briefings or flight even though I have TTS enabled. Would be great to see voice acting added someday. Got a few campaigns to play before this one but it looks good from what I have seen.

Offline Lorric

I get no speech in the briefings or flight even though I have TTS enabled. Would be great to see voice acting added someday. Got a few campaigns to play before this one but it looks good from what I have seen.
Ah yes, I was going to mention this too to you earlier today as a potential addition to your list, but got interrupted.

I've played through the first 6 missions already now of this new update, and everything is proceeding smoothly and I'm having a blast. I was wondering about the possibility of nostalgia goggles for this campaign, but it's just as good as I remember it so far.

Offline Macfie

That's the problem with nightly builds they don't have TTS available.  If you play it with 3.7.0 and the mediavps_3612 you should have TTS.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
That's the problem with nightly builds they don't have TTS available.  If you play it with 3.7.0 and the mediavps_3612 you should have TTS.

I noticed something was missing since I started to use the last nightly. But thanks Macfie, awesome work. :)
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline CT27

Thanks for your work on this Macfie. :)

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Hey Macfie, I noticed the first problem with your release: The Olympia ship is apparently not able to get any weaponry installed on, so it is basically a defenseless flying piece of junk in the missions where you are forced to use it. My guess is that the ship's weapons table is using old values. If I knew the slightest thing about tables I'd have checked myself. Unfortunately, I don't.

Offline Macfie

Post a log.  I did not have the problem when I tested it and no one else has identified the problem.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Congratulations on the upgrade. Even though I may not say it, I DO appreciate every effort to maintain the classic originals.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Macfie

Hey Macfie, I noticed the first problem with your release: The Olympia ship is apparently not able to get any weaponry installed on, so it is basically a defenseless flying piece of junk in the missions where you are forced to use it. My guess is that the ship's weapons table is using old values. If I knew the slightest thing about tables I'd have checked myself. Unfortunately, I don't.

I played through again with no problem.  The problem is not a table problem.  Something went wrong for you when you played the secret base mission.  An event in secret base unlocks the weapons for the Olympia.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
I played through again with no problem.  The problem is not a table problem.  Something went wrong for you when you played the secret base mission.  An event in secret base unlocks the weapons for the Olympia.

Might have to go back to that mission then.

Offline Lorric

I'm afraid I've encountered a problem. On the 12th mission, "Trapped", when the Harpo arrives to repair the Hatenkh, it just sits there (Harpo, Elysium transport). I've played the mission twice. I'm using 3.7.0 and the 3.6.12 media vps and it's in the big campaign. Can you offer any help with that please?

Offline Macfie

I think this  is a problem with the old mediavps_3612.  I think the Sobek model may have been updated and the docking points changed in the mediavps_2014.  I'll take a look at it tomorrow after work.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:26:19 pm by Macfie »

Offline Lorric

I'd say try and play it with one of the recent nightly builds.  I didn't really test it with 3.7.0.
Maybe I'll wait for the next stable release. Why would it be the difference though, do you know?

Offline Lorric

I'll drop my pilot here for if anyone would like to test it, so you can go straight to the mission.

Offline Macfie

The problem is with the Sobek.  The original 3612 model had docking points labeled blahblah.  The upgraded version had it labelled as upper dock.  Since the mission didn't have a valid dock point for the Harpo it didn't dock.  The upgraded Sobek model has been out since September of 2011 so I didn't realize it wasn't in the 3612 mediavps.  I've attached a modified mission for any one using the original 3612 mediavps without the upgraded Sobek.

Offline Lorric

Ah, thank you. How do I put it into the campaign though?

EDIT: I have Descent Manager VPVIEW32 V2.0. I know how to open VP files and extract from them, but unless you can't make changes, I don't know how to do anything to VP files.

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Look in Incursion_Return/data. Add a /missions subfolder, and put the fixed mission in there.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial