Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 92395 times)

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Currently, I'm trying to make my way here:

This is a star in the Berkeley 59 cluster, in NGC 7822. For those who haven't played it yet: In the game, you can scan unexplored star systems and sell the sensor data to a cartography company. Black holes are worth about 35,000 credits each (same value as the ship you start out with--even so, exploration is probably the least lucrative career choice), and apparently the game's procedural star system generator decided to make this cluster very rich with black holes. Most stars in the cluster are accompanied by at least one black hole, but I've seen a few on the map with two black holes, and this one has three.

The only catch is that my FTL drive is limited to 25.76 light years at a time, and the map can only plot a course up to a 100 light year radius (update to bring that up to 1000 Ly coming up soon). To get to my destination, I have to hop from star to star, refueling from hydrogen in the star's corona, mapping as I go.

To give you an idea of how long this will take: I've traveled a straight-line distance of about 400 light years since I set out several hours ago (I took the above picture after traveling that 400 light years). I started my journey here:

(Viewed from Earth using Stellarium)

A couple other glory shots:

The orange giant star Arcturus (α Boötis) from a distance of 1 AU, the same distance the Earth is from the Sun.

The Borogroves are always mimsy when I'm coming in to dock at a station. (Slithy Toves there is a non-player character. The name was probably picked by one of the game's Kickstarter backers.)

Gravitational lensing around a procedurally-generated black hole closer to home. The event horizon itself isn't visible because it's only a few kilometers in diameter, and I'm about half the distance between the Earth and the Moon from the black hole.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline emkay

I don't plan to play it, but if I was, I'd do it that way (hope this is not a re-post - I checked, but may have missed it):

www.youtube.com/embed/PUFIFL7zwXQ

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I haven't seen all that much vibrant multiplayer since I can't say I have seen too many players.

It really depends on where you go. Certain systems are hotspots of player activity and are absolutely stuffed with players.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Mmmmmmm.  That New Imperial Clipper smell.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Luis Dias

It looks gorgeous. It also looks extremely boring, but in the best sense. It is the kind of game that takes its time to unfold, and that time itself is an extremely interesting experience, I'm with little doubts about that. My problem is that I have no time for it at all, so this is kind of the worst game that could ever be pitched to me. Oh well.

Currently, I'm trying to make my way here:

Oh, do you mean here?

also notice my hull at 67%, I tried to scan a black hole that is very close to a blue star, the black hole sucked me out of supercruise. when I fired up my FSD to escape the combined heat from the FSD, the black hole, and the star heated my ship up to 230% and I lost a third of my hull integrity. gotta be careful when scanning those black holes.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, there. I've since returned. I also got too close to a black hole and was pulled out of supercruise. My hull was barely damaged, but that wasn't the first time I'd gotten too close to something and my canopy started to crack that time. The prospect of being out in the middle of nowhere, thousands of light years from any station, with only 7.5 mins of oxygen... :shaking:

I kept her in one piece, though, and finished the survey and made it home safe and sound.
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Kopachris you should try taking a picture of the Betelgeuse star from 1 AU* away. JK, dont, bad things will happen. But if you haven't been there its worth a visit, though.

I'm interested for when 1.1 comes out, it will show the name of the first person who DSS scanned each object. Theres a planet orbiting it very deep within the burn raduis, I scanned it (while in pain). I'm interested to see if I'm the only one dumb enough to have scanned it. hoping to get my name on as many objects in the universe before the update pops, making it obvious which objects have never been scanned.

*edit: I derped and said Ly instead AU
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:41:10 am by Smooticus »

Offline Luis Dias

1 ly away from Betelgeuse seems fairly safe to me ?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, 1 Ly is not an issue.

Getting closer than 30 Lightminutes however becomes problematic.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Yeah I saw my mistake... fixed it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I know we're 8 light minutes from sol. How far is Mars?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Mars' orbit takes it between 1.3 and 1.6 AU from the sun, which equates to somewhere between 10 and 13 light minutes.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Demitri

Apologies for the necro but was just wanting to see what ppl's thoughts are so far with the 1.4 update? Haven't tried CQC yet myself. From what I can tell in general play however is that interdicting and being interdicted (especially NPCs) seems to be a lot more difficult.

On a side note, cannot wait for Horizons.
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie

Offline Veers

This is a good reminder for me to update.. dunno why I let it slide in the first place.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
CQC is extremely fun, but it's been hard to consistently find matches (in the last week, for me at least, straight-up impossible). A real shame because the mode is very well done and a hoot to play.

In other news, the Horizons stuff seems to be coming along nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJv3EXH0yqY

Offline CKid

I have been keeping an eye on Horizons. The SRV is pretty cool, I just don't know if it's worth the price they are asking for. I did play few games in CQC and it is enjoyable, however I just purchased the Fed Drop-ship and have been busy grinding credits to upgrade it.

If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

mate you have made a bad purchasing decision
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CKid

What? The DropShip? Things a beast, just add hull reinforcement packages to all internal compartments and you got a indestructible gunship.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Anyone have problems finding missions since the last patch? I was regularly getting 1 or 2 million credit missions and now I barely find any above 300 thousand.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...