Poll

What should determine if a new user-made weapon should be included on the wiki?

Has a new/custom weapon model
0 (0%)
Is a featured weapon in a major campaign/mod
1 (5.9%)
Does an interesting/unique effect (ex: rainbow swarmers)
0 (0%)
Options 1 and/or 3
6 (35.3%)
Options 1, 2, and/or 3
8 (47.1%)
Other (please state in a reply)
1 (5.9%)
Snuffleupagus
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: June 02, 2015, 07:37:02 am

Author Topic: User-Made Weapons Page: Adding new Entries  (Read 8232 times)

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
User-Made Weapons Page: Adding new Entries
Hello all! Poll time.

With the newly added User-Made Weapons page on the wiki, we need some help in figuring out what exactly should go up there, and to do that we need to know what qualifies said weaponry.

Most options should be self explanatory, while Options 4 and 5 simply mean that a weapon qualifies if any of the selected criteria is met. For example, Option 4 means that a weapon would qualify if it had a new weapon model or did something interesting, but not if it was a featured weapon in a major campaign/mod.

Option 2 does posit an interesting statement for a "major" campaign or mod. To clear that up a bit, we'll go with "Any mod that is part of a hosted project, and any released campaign that has had the Announcement spotlight" for now.  :nervous:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: User-Made Weapons Page: Adding new Entries
This is the (very WiP) page that is under discussion:

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/User-Made_Weapons
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Option 2 and 3 may be good for actually populating the list, but I don't think it needs to be as big a priority once the initial work is done.  1 I think is of minimal importance personally, since you hardly see the weapons anyways, though is obviously of more importance to secondaries since they will actually be rendered in a mission.

Anyways, once a list is populated based on 2 and 3, the first thing to do would be to cull the list to remove weapons that are extremely similar, and after that, when it comes to adding new entires, the first question should be, "How is this different from everything else on the list?"
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
1 I think is of minimal importance personally, since you hardly see the weapons anyways, though is obviously of more importance to secondaries since they will actually be rendered in a mission.
So will the primaries.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline BirdofPrey

Huh, didn't realize that existed.  I can't say I have noticed it being used anywhere.

Still, I think interesting weapons with an old model is more useful than the same weapons with new models.
Of course there could be a section for just the weapon models like how there's a repository of user-made ships, but plenty aren't really statted all that much
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Huh, didn't realize that existed.  I can't say I have noticed it being used anywhere.

Still, I think interesting weapons with an old model is more useful than the same weapons with new models.
Of course there could be a section for just the weapon models like how there's a repository of user-made ships, but plenty aren't really statted all that much

as both z64555 and  Black Wolf say this is a new page under development
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

One of the initial reasons for the page's existence was to showcase the weapon models. As AdmiralRalwood pointed out, primaries can have models, and also some folk will appreciate the .tbl entry for some interesting bullet/bolt effects.

Similar and/or upgraded versions of weapons could possibly be grouped together. Perhaps have the basic weapon a full tech/description entry, and include a table comparing the similar weapons power, firing speed, etc.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline BirdofPrey

One of the initial reasons for the page's existence was to showcase the weapon models. As AdmiralRalwood pointed out, primaries can have models, and also some folk will appreciate the .tbl entry for some interesting bullet/bolt effects.
This is supposed to be a modding resource right?  If that's the case, models shouldn't be the only/main consideration.

Similar and/or upgraded versions of weapons could possibly be grouped together. Perhaps have the basic weapon a full tech/description entry, and include a table comparing the similar weapons power, firing speed, etc.
That was my thought as well, though a more click heavy alternative would be to link to any pages other, similar weapons have.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

This is supposed to be a modding resource right?  If that's the case, models shouldn't be the only/main consideration.

The page has tags for Custom Model, Custom Tech Model and Custom Effect.

Also I have an issue with the alignment in the Icon Key as shown in the attachment.
System
Windows 7
Chrome Version 40.0.2214.115 m
And Version 41.0.2272.76 m (when checking the version chrome wanted to update. ctrl+f5 the tab and the issue persists on the newer version)
1920x1080 Resolution
GeForce 750 GTX

edit:  added attachment

[attachment deleted by nobody]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I chose 3 with option 2 being a close second.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@headdie: Can you check if you still have the alignment issue?

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
thats done it, thanks :)

All three seem like a good idea to me, honestly. Having such entries set up would really help after all. Made sure to vote for it.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
I think that separating Terran\Vasudan\Shivan\Other weaponry would be good to see.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Eh, maybe if there's enough to warrant sorting. I doubt there'll be much to put into any category except for "terran".
After all, retail FS2 used "terran" missiles for everything.

And categorizing primary effects is just silly.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Capital Ship weapons could be sorted by species,like separating MVas,MBlue and MRed.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I'd think that'd be obvious enough from the color itself though. I'm not a fan of making arbitrary distinctions like that (oh, this was *intended* as a vasudan weapon so it should be classfied as such even though the same effect would work for a terran/shivan/other), or just having sparsely-populated categories in the first place.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline BirdofPrey

Separating by race seems arbitrary since weapons can be used on any ship that allows it, so being set up as a Shivan only weapon in ONE mod means nothing for the others.

Options 1, 2, and/or 3.

Especially more Weapons Glows and effects., if i discharge the GTB Athenas Mk2 and use it like a Heavy Interceptor. no problem. 

if i like to use the weapon effect and sound to make another weapon typing a new table. is also ok.  I Think.

I strongly suggest that you change the wiki page so it doesn't default to linking to a weapon's individual article. Very few weapons outside of BP have them, and redlinks are ugly and distracting.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.