Author Topic: Player file problem radar-related  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Player file problem radar-related
Hello ! Just got an error while playing Burning Heaven, during a mission (don't remember which one : it's the one I have to "dive ! dive ! dive !" while crossing the path of an Hecate destroyer).

Using Nightly 3.8.1.20180104_c496a08. My log is uploaded here :

https://fsnebula.org/log/5a52313ecb8db13e6821cc94

Seems to have corrupted my player file  :blah: It's related to a radar problem ? ("Player file has invalid radar range -1")

Using Knossos 0.7.8, if I delete the current player file in the appdata/roaming folder, I can play normally again. If not, the error appear in EVERY mod I launch.

Any idea ?
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Player file problem radar-related
Unfortunately the "PLR" part of all pilot files is read each time FSO is run. This is why the error occurs in all mods unless you remove the "Satellight Burning Heaven.plr" file.

And double unfortunately, the only way to recover the pilot file is to use a hex editor program (e.g. https://superuser.com/questions/14465/hex-editors-for-windows) and (probably while reading the source code) find the invalid radar range setting & change it to a correct value.

If you just want to play all the missions through, you could instead use the tech room, press CTRL-SHIFT-S and play each mission individually.

And lastly (because I'm not sure if this will work) you could try this:

1) remove the "Satellight Burning Heaven.plr" file
2) save the "Satellight Burning Heaven.Burning_Heaven.csg" file somewhere
3) open FSO & create a new pilot named "Satellight Burning Heaven"
4) close FSO & copy "Satellight Burning Heaven.Burning_Heaven.csg" to its original location (overwrite any existing files)

That should give you a fresh PLR file while retaining your campaign progress. In Theory.

Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Re: Player file problem radar-related

And lastly (because I'm not sure if this will work) you could try this:

1) remove the "Satellight Burning Heaven.plr" file
2) save the "Satellight Burning Heaven.Burning_Heaven.csg" file somewhere
3) open FSO & create a new pilot named "Satellight Burning Heaven"
4) close FSO & copy "Satellight Burning Heaven.Burning_Heaven.csg" to its original location (overwrite any existing files)

That should give you a fresh PLR file while retaining your campaign progress. In Theory.

Alas, already tried, but it wasn't working :( I'm not too far in the campaign, I will try again and hope for a better outcome ! (And a better number of kills too  ;) )

In fact, I really wonder if it was a problem with the mission or the code. Since it was radar-related, as we travel enormous distances in this mod, I thought it was maybe mission-design related !

Anyway, a big thank you for your answer  :yes: . My best wishes for 2018 !
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.