Author Topic: In-game Graphics Options?  (Read 1403 times)

In-game Graphics Options?
So, I've been enjoying FSO with the 2014 media VPs. However, I noticed recently in game that the detail settings are not maxed out. Both, model detail and nebula detail are set at 4/5. I'm just curious with how much FS has evolved do these in game settings still have any effect? Should I increase them to max or leave them be?

Secondly, does anyone know a good link where I can compare the different lighting presets available in wxlauncher? I know there's a page here on this forum, but none of the example images load up.

Thanks!

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Re: In-game Graphics Options?
So, I've been enjoying FSO with the 2014 media VPs. However, I noticed recently in game that the detail settings are not maxed out. Both, model detail and nebula detail are set at 4/5. I'm just curious with how much FS has evolved do these in game settings still have any effect? Should I increase them to max or leave them be?

Because Models still have several Level of Detail stages, yes the model detail option has still an effect, at least. On 1/5 Model detail, the game looks bad even with MVPs  :D

Secondly, does anyone know a good link where I can compare the different lighting presets available in wxlauncher? I know there's a page here on this forum, but none of the example images load up.

3.8.0 uses a complete new lightning system. So all old lightning presets are somewhat irrelevant. Currently the option in wxlauncher so has a complete other effect than in previous builds. All example images are not representative anymore.

Here is a discussion about that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:32:58 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Thanks, after reading the discussion I've gone with these settings for now:
-ambient_factor 65 -no_emissive_light -spec_point 0.6 -spec_static 3.0 -spec_tube 0.4 -bloom_intensity 30

One more thing, the engine glow from ships has a flickering effect that looks a bit like an unwanted artifact at times, depending on which angle you're viewing it from. Can I disable this somehow to see how it looks without?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Remove the -fb_thrusters commandline argument (listed in the launcher as "Enable Framebuffer Thrusters")
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns