Author Topic: [FA] FRED Academy Sign Ups  (Read 34384 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I will also be available for help: You can find my ICQ number in my profile. It is 235325080, by the way.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

At the risk of sounding noobish...
What is an ICQ number and what do you use it for? Because I don't have any chat clients like that (if thats what they're used for)
My friend's a computer geek and all I got was this crappy signature

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
ICQ is a chat program as you guessed. You are assigned a unique number to identify yourself rather than using a unique screenname like many other chatters use. (i.e no more conversations with John_4735231 :D )

You can use ICQ itself to connect or trillian which I personally prefer.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Y halo thar.

Is it too late to sign up? :D

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
It's never late until FS is alive. Just tell us whether you want to be a master or an apprentice.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Oh im very much in the apprentice stage at FREDing.
Plenty of ideas, too little experience to execute them. :D

On that note :P

Im trying to create some VERY simple missions (We're talking 1 objective, 2 ships here) to try to the hang of things, and no matter what i do:

A: The campaign wont save where i tell it to
B: It crashes the came as soon as i attempt to load the briefing room.
C: When i try to use the branches in campaign editor to make a failed objective restart the mission, i cant get it to load the objectives of the mission for me to select. It just says String or Number (Number greyed out)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 09:43:22 am by 2233 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
1. What do you mean? Do not make the campaign file yet, finish the missions first.
2. There are several reasons FreeSpace can crash. What version of FreeSpace are you using? Retail Volition Freespace or the Source Code Project release?

Well the problems i have creating missions come mainly in the last leg, where i am putting them into campaigns, so i thought id create a simple campaign, to try to figure it out.

And im using the SCP, release 3.6, the mission fails to load and it brings up an error in a warning window.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Take my advice: Do not put the missions into a campaign yet. Test them individually in the missions simulator. Or are you able to test the mission only WHEN it is not in a campaign?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It's not too late Calaerial. That's why I directed you over here :)

I'm assuming that you'd want to use FRED2_Open to build missions for the Academy.

If so head over to this thread, pick a mission from campaign 3 and get to work. :)

Could anyone tell me how to set an arrival event so that a wing of ships can jump in at a certain waypoint along a path, since at the moment its only allowing me to select the path, but not the individual point.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
I can't see what you mean. What about you kara?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Calaerial
Could anyone tell me how to set an arrival event so that a wing of ships can jump in at a certain waypoint along a path, since at the moment its only allowing me to select the path, but not the individual point.

Seperate the original path into two paths Path A and path B. Path B starts from the first point you want the wing to go to and ends up whwerever the original path ends. Path A is the rest of the original path.

Tell the new wing to follow path B. Tell anything else that was following the original path to follow path A and then add an Event that simply says that when the waypoints are done for those ships that they should follow path B.

Sometimes the simple things are the easiest :)

:) Works perfectly

Also, is there any way to lock a non-player ship to a certain max speed?

I have a mission with a mixed convoy of Poseidons and Tritons, but the Poseidons travel 20m/s faster than the Tritons, so they smack in their engines, and once they get past they speed off faster, ruining the whole convoy effect :)

Use cap-waypoint-speed to stipulate what speed you want the ships to travel.

It's under "change", so you could have something like this:

--when
-----has-time-elapsed
-----cap-waypoint-speed
-------GTFr Trition 2

And then do the same for all of the freighters in the convoy.
    Also, it's a good idea to have them with different waypoint paths, like if you have two columns of freighters have two parallel paths instead of one dot in the distance where they're all going to (to eventually collide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 07:12:12 pm by 1332 »

oooh, good idea :D
Thanks muchly.

Well i think ive gotton the basics down, but the thing that really strikes me is that the mission ive created is....boring.

Functional, but boring.

:(

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's the real skill in FREDding, making the mission interesting :)

I'd offer to look at this mission but I'm really swamped right now so I'm only playtesting mission for MG or the FRED Academy at the moment. Post it up though and I'm sure someone will give you some feedback.

Sadly, it looks like I'm gonna give up my mission, mission no. 5, because I've had no time for the last while maybe I'll do a mission for an upcoming campaign, because I like this fred academy thing.
Keep up the good work!
My friend's a computer geek and all I got was this crappy signature