Author Topic: [FA] - Getting the ball rolling  (Read 33825 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
[FA] - Getting the ball rolling
That doesn't matter.  He still needs the newer fred if he's going to be using any of the new SEXP's, the #2 reason (after spec) that FSO is supposed to be so much of an improvement.  Technically, you should have a set of PCX files around for any tga (non-glow, non-spec), jpg, or dds files simply to allow FSO to run without any flags should you need it to, but that's another discussion for another day.  If you can't help him resolve his mission difficulties (and if it requires that he learn Fred_Open then, by God, he needs to learn on Fred_Open) then don't comment in the threads.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
And lets not ignore the fact that FRED2 and FS2 Retail  would have had EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 04:12:03 pm by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Yeah . . . just a few days ago I asked about this exact same error in making an FS2 retail mission.

Offline magatsu1

Originally posted by TopAce
I don't know how much time the JPG-TGA support has been implemented, but I am pretty sure the SCPers had enough time to have FRED support it.

maybe they had better things to do...:rolleyes:
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Or maybe Bobboau and Kazan both quit and now we're looking for graphics coders... :rolleyes:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
Yeah . . . just a few days ago I asked about this exact same error in making an FS2 retail mission.

Which is why I remember the problem's solution so vividly :D

Offline Pilot Of The US

• aka Blue Thunder
    • RNI Shipyards
anybody gonna answer my question??

Offline mr.WHO

Mission 7 is ready, now I'll start mission 8 but I have two major problems:
1) I have alpha wing in mission 7 which is completly destroyed at the end. When I start mission 8 (red alert) they appear as dead in wing window, but in the mission THEY ARE ALIVE with 0% hull.
2) I've a red alert flag at GTCv Julius, he's ending mission 7 with about 90% hull, but In mission 8 it have full 100% hull, Do I do something wrong?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Pilot Of The US
ok, now for my mission (7, campaign 1). Im not totaly sure about the enviroment. Is the ship that the player has to disable, heading for capella? which would mean the player would be in EP or is it the other way around?

Missed this one. Since the previous mission was in Polaris I'd guess that you're in EP with the ship heading for Capella.

Black Wolf is of course the ultimate authority on the subject since he wrote the mission brief :)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by karajorma

Missed this one. Since the previous mission was in Polaris I'd guess that you're in EP with the ship heading for Capella.

Black Wolf is of course the ultimate authority on the subject since he wrote the mission brief :)

The ship is heading for the Capella node in EP, aiming to use the device and ETAK to send a message through.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by mr.WHO
Mission 7 is ready, now I'll start mission 8 but I have two major problems:
1) I have alpha wing in mission 7 which is completly destroyed at the end. When I start mission 8 (red alert) they appear as dead in wing window, but in the mission THEY ARE ALIVE with 0% hull.
2) I've a red alert flag at GTCv Julius, he's ending mission 7 with about 90% hull, but In mission 8 it have full 100% hull, Do I do something wrong?

I suspect that both of those may be due to bugs rather than anything you've done wrong. I'm not that skilled with red-alerts as I've never written a mission with one in (or at least written and tested one) so I'll leave it to someone more skilled to figure it out.

The thing about the wingmen showing up with 0% status is a FS2 bug as far as I know. If you do some of the red alert missions at the very end of the campaign you can see them in action . . . Maybe you can just put in some sex p to make them go away (ie if hits = 0 then self destruct?)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Sounds like a reasonable idea. Don't know how well it would work in practice though.

I'd suggest using ship-vanish rather than self destruct though. Much cleaner.

Offline mr.WHO

hits = 0 then self destruct it's not working, they don't want to self detruct. I deciede myself to set red alert flag only for Alpha 1, the rest of the squad will be dead.
Mission 8 is almost done, I only need to do debriefing ,whole mission looks like the battle from FS2 Outro.

Offline Fergus

I can do Retail mission 6, depening of course if my mission 4 turns out to be complete rubbish in its currently finished(hopefully) state.
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by mr.WHO
hits = 0 then self destruct it's not working, they don't want to self detruct. I deciede myself to set red alert flag only for Alpha 1, the rest of the squad will be dead.

Try Hits less than 1 rather than equals 0. Basically you should only ever use the = operator when working with variables. Almost everywhere else use the greater than and less than operators instead.

And use ship vanish rather than self-destruct.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
[rant]
now this just sucks. Really. I created a full-blown mission, and then FRED goes and #_)$(@)_%*_)@#%) things up and now i cant even access the backup!! Which means I have to go and create everything all over again, but then it also means it can get corrupted again because #)$@()$ FRED refuses to do any #$@#$ thing without screwing it up!!!
[/rant]
[proper thinking]
Some help in getting this darn thing running again? :(
[/proper thinking]
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm looking into it already Singh :)

Offline JR2000Z

Singh, I got a question with the storyline for Campaign 2 Mission 3.

Spoiler:
In mission two they were going for the Nebula - Gamma Draconis node. In mission 3, is it the same node?
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
The original plan is to go for that node - but it changes after the Annatet goes boom, so the answer (for mission 3 at least) is yes. ;)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(