Author Topic: *SPOILER THREAD* Star Wars: The Last Jedi  (Read 103326 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: *SPOILER THREAD* Star Wars: The Last Jedi
TM criticizing a movie's writing pretty much counts as a ringing endorsement of it.

Offline Lorric

Persoanlly, I thought i was a flaming, stinking turd the likes of which is seen once in a millenia.

Sometimes you just need to save a line for posterity.
I didn't catch that typo! :lol:

That is a god tier typo. :)

Offline Luis Dias

I will never sympathise with this kind of hatred some people seem to foster to incredibly mundane things in our culture like a rather otherwise good movie. It's something I just can't empathise, my neurons are unable to square it.

I mean, I didn't like the prequels but I didn't hate them. They were just disappointing and a lost opportunity, not THE WORST WRITTEN THING IN A MILLENIA. I watched them on theathers and I wasn't mad at the end of each one, I just shrugged them off, and kept watching them with a smirk on my face whenever they ended up on tv or something.

Even when Plinkett distilled them, I enjoyed the distilling for uncovering of exactly what it was that made them less good than the originals, but there was no rage in there. I mean, not even RLM were ENRAGED by it at all.

I happen to have this habit of spoiling the least I can before I watch a show, and so for a ludicrous example of this, I didn't even know Korra was a sequel to Avatar before I watched it. Luckily I watched Avatar before Korra.

Now, after watching Korra, I realise that in the internet, there's this whole hatedom around Korra and the weird similarities and parallels to the other current hatedoms (like in TLJ) are astounding. It mostly also boils down to how dare they do something different. How dare they subvert expectations in their own ways and not in the ways I imagined they should. How dare this new thing not be the exact same thing the old was, and how dare it have some flaws of its own, rather than just repeat the old flaws of the old.

And then, of course, there's the gender thing. It's getting tiresome, and I hope people are catching up to it?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:06:36 am by Luis Dias »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh come on.

I really was going to stay out of this thread, but this is just too silly. Rian & friends are now blaming Russian trolls trying to rig the election for TLJ's mixed response.

Link

I guess those bots are posting all the YouTube videos and arguing on forums, too? Bryan See?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:14:03 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Oh come on.

I really was going to stay out of this thread, but this is just too silly. Rian & friends are now blaming Russian trolls trying to rig the election for TLJ's mixed response.

Link

I guess those bots are posting all the YouTube videos and arguing on forums, too? Bryan See?

No, simply put Star Wars was part of the attempt to use toxic fandom to radicalize the political discourse on social media, basically they added bots to the real people to make the hatedom feel a bit larger and more toxic to create a feedback loop and in general contributing to poison social media.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Rian & friends are now blaming Russian trolls trying to rig the election for TLJ's mixed response.

Link

I can't at all draw that conclusion from the article you linked. Clicking through to Rian's twitter statement the article itself links just gives me this quote from Rian Johnson:

Quote from: Rian Johnson
And just to be totally clear: this is not about fans liking or not liking the movie - I've had tons of great talks with great fans online and off who liked and disliked stuff, that's what fandom is all about. This is specifically about a virulent strain of online harassment.

It's just the same "Bullies using bots to make themselves look bigger then they actually are" which we've seen for years. It hasn't got anything to do with your critique of Star Wars.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 03:55:49 pm by -Joshua- »

Oh come on.

I have my doubts about the study that claimed all this but it was made by some rando academics, not some unified effort by 'Rian and friends' that you seem to be tilting at.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Oh come on.

Link

Why is bots influencing a movie reaction somehow less credible than bots influencing an election, something which actually matters?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh, I'm absolutely sure that bots were an issue. I'm not doubting that. But the TLJ warriors are, as expected, latching on to this. Articles have already started to pop up... "See? TLJ was good, you were influenced by bots!"
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah, that's idiotic. But the fact that idiots are taking this the wrong way doesn't mean Rian Johnson shouldn't have made the point that bots were being used to harass people online.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luis Dias

"Idiots are idioting on the internet" is quite inevitable nowadays. On any side of any idea.

Even though I'd defend this movie from criticism, it's really utterly unreasonable to suggest the movie doesn't have its detractors at all. The movie is quite divisive.

But the information that russian bots were even interested in fueling this divide at all is the most interesting thing to have come out. Like, this is something at the same time seemingly 100% silly and yet, it makes so much sense. The idea is to perpetuate division and rage on the western internet, and apparently sowing it in culture wars about the media we consume is quite effective.