Author Topic: Starshatter: The Gathering Storm  (Read 2674 times)

Starshatter: The Gathering Storm
The spacesim genre is not dead (I feel happy! I feel Happy!)! Starshatter: The Gathering storm is the latest Space Combat game rolling of the production line.

I have played the demo of an old version before and I really liked it, you can set the realism level (from Wing Commander style to I-War 2 Style) as you like. You can command an entire fleet (well, not when you are in a fighter) and, the game is mod-frendly (command a fleet of Shivan Jaggernauts !!!)

Looking forward to playing this game, I am.

Re: Starshatter: The Gathering Storm
Its mostly an art overhaul to take advantage of the work Milo did writing a Dx9 renderer (4.0 was Dx7.) But you also get full voice overs (ala Falcon 4.0) in combat. That includes the AWACS functions. New music and intergrated cutscenes as well. Owners of 4.0 are eligible for a discount.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I almost bought it while I was in the states, then I figured I could just get everything it offered by modding Freespace 2 :)

Still, nice to see new sims coming out even these days.

Offline Dysko

I was going to open a topic to ask about this game, but looks like you preceeded me :)
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

With the release of 8800 Vista drivers I installed and played a bit of GS over the last three days.

- Graphics

Its looking quite beautiful. High poly ship models. The capital class seem much larger now. Specular and bump mapping really add to the depth. Explosions and missile trails received a bit of attention. When your in atmospheric flight you'll notice a much prettier horizon effect. Planets have much higher resolution texture maps and look much improved. Alliance Fighters now feature unique 3D cockpits but they're not functional and not as detailed as one might have hoped for. They would be, however, wonderful combined with TrackIR as you need a c. to orient yourself. My version is incompatible with GS and so I can't comment on it. In all GS looks more modern and less indie. You could punch it up a bit more if you wanted to... but it looks quite good as it is.

- Sound

GS has full voice overs for radio traffic, intel reports, and in engine cutscenes. For the most part they are quite competent (which was a bit of a surprise... VA is usually the first casualty). The production of the clips is a bit simple though. You'll get an actor reading his lines (or Milo :) ) rather than an actor reading his lines with bit and pieces layered in to recreate lets say... a press briefing. I've found it very nice to just listen for Control (your AWACs) response rather than read the small print at the top of the screen.

- Gameplay

Much the same as SS 4.0. Milo said he has rebalanced at least the first campaign but I'm not far enough in to give an opinion. He also worked on the mission templates for the dynamic campaign. Again not noticing to much yet. Lastly the difficulty levels were tweaked... I'm currently on medium and it seems pretty competent. Once I've completed this campaign I'll try it again on hard and see how it goes. Easy is supposed to be easier and hard harder.

- Conclusions

Milo makes a game I like quite well. The addition of cutscenes really adds to the narrative. Its a prettier game this time around with most of bugs rounded out. A demo is in the pipe... if you like space sims (with an emphasis here on Sim Lite) you should check it out.

Offline Dysko

I updated it to 5.0.1, but I have some errors: some times the HUD doesn't show up, and every time I'm flying an atmospheric mission my fighter just keep stalling (unless I use the accelerator, but it uses a lot of fuel) until I crash. Did anybody experience these?
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

The games pretty damn fun. The "Wing Commander" style combat is a little more floaty than I would have liked, but overall it's quite good. The dynamic campaign gave things a sense of importance than other games usually lack i.e. every fighter I frag is one less the enemy has to work with.

I updated it to 5.0.1, but I have some errors: some times the HUD doesn't show up, and every time I'm flying an atmospheric mission my fighter just keep stalling (unless I use the accelerator, but it uses a lot of fuel) until I crash. Did anybody experience these?

I can't speak for the HUD but the second is actually a feature. Due to gravity you'll have to expend fuel to stay aloft. Your also not supposed to spend too much time on each fighter mission 10 minutes or so tops. There was a bug in 5.0 that ment fighters used their fuel at cap ship rates (but without the benefit of fusion reactors). Doublecheck that your running 5.0, the patch seems to leave the old executable around. You want to be running stars.exe