Author Topic: Official Robotech Mod Thread  (Read 139535 times)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Official Robotech Mod Thread
Ouch, can it really tranform itself into robots ??

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but I allready madea SDF-1 for the Robotech mode (in cruiser mode) and am currently working on the soldier mode..

Not bad models though.:D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

That's not a problem,

You should post a Screenshot from your SDF1, we could see what kind of texture and what kind of SDF1 you chose (Robotech or DYRL).

No it can't transform itself, but you can use the function in Fred2_open

"Change ship Model"
I'm using it to transform, but you can't use it to transform your Valkyrie from the Gerwalk to fighter or in Mecha-mod: when you use this function you get a Lag, impossibiliy to use it a lot of time.

For modelling, i'm using a CAD software, i export in *.STL (stereolythograpy or simulation model), after i use a converter to put it in *.Lwo. And i work the *.lwo in Truespace. (Not very simple, isn't it?! :) )
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 05:02:07 pm by 3004 »
°(-_-)°

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I don't have any screenshot on my HDD anymore I think..

I'll have to check or make a new one:D

I sent the model to GSG some time ago and he's been using it since. perhaps he has a good scrinie somewhere?

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
[color=66ff00]Very nice work Rowhider and welcome to HLP. :nod::yes:

I'm glad to see that you've not been put off by the fact that Trashman has built a model of the same subject, any attempt to enrich the Freespace experience is valued.
Be sure to post anything else you are working on and don't be afraid to ask questions as there are a lot of talented people here capable of helping you or pointing you in the right direction.[/color]

Thank you Maeglamor, i've a lot of things to learn, that's why i'm there: I'm only skilled of one Week in the FS2 modding (lol).

At this moment, my first problem is to design the model without curves, only with lines to get the minimum of polygons.
the Bodolza's Fortress: 1900 polygons (for a very simple model)
My SDF1 in cruiser mod: 3700 polygons
in Attack mod: 2600 polygons (i progess in my design)

What kind of maximum number of polygons can you advise for a model easy to use?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 02:42:51 am by 3004 »
°(-_-)°

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Here's a little pic:

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
It depend of the size of the ship and the design.
But for a good playing condition, I think 5k (or perhaps 10k) poly is enought for a cruiser/destroyer.

For fighters/bombers, you have to make a model less to 2k poly, if you want to put an outnumbered of ships in mission.

I think, others modders can tell you more detail about it ^^ I'm just a novice (remember my X wing  ^^ ).

Yeah that's true MetalDestroyer, but i don't know for you but when i use the cob2pof converter, it need about 5 sec to convert the model with 4000 poly: i don't know if that's possible to make a bigger model without an error at the conversion. For information, when i put more than 10 big cruisers, Fred2_open lag or crash.

For your Xwing, you said that you get difficulties to transform it in POF: it was a "Group" or only an Object? At the moment, i never met any problem of geometry.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 04:03:57 pm by 3004 »
°(-_-)°

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Hum i don't remember if it was object or group.
I think it was made by several Objects, go here :
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,29571.0.html

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Very NIce work, I noticed you got TV sdf-1 versus Macross Bodolza base! The TV RT one was diff, more vertical then horizontal but that would be still cool to have as Ryunne was working on a MACROSS version mod but disappeared last year.

I am incorporating elements of Macross into the Macross TV oriented mod. If you wouldn;t mind maybe we could ask Trash to help you refine the fortress a bit.

It sure would be great to have a new modler to help us out. Would you consider joining this mod Team (which currently only consists of me as overall coordinator and Trashman as chief modler) We had two other member but one dropped out indefinately and the other was a 7month waste of time.

On the plus side we have talented allies in the HW2 arena like Accused Raptor and  Ancient Angel (most of the new RT2 works are from thier direct support!) So while they are not official team members (being too busy) they have contributed probably HALF of the mod's total content so far. Thanks guys!

I'll re-post some pics in a sec to show current progress.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Getter Robo G

Image Recap:

Current Invid forces:

Mission 1:

Some of the REF fleet:

Invid Invade:

The new Red Green and Blue Alphas (you can turn to battloid mode) we currently have no gerwalk mode for Alphas, need them made!)

Very old shot of the original mod, and the main reason to do this, I AM KHYRON! I had fun killing all the micronian scum!

Lastly SDF-1 in action:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/getter_robo_g_2004/detail?.dir=ef5a&.dnm=bb7a.jpg&.src=ph

Hope you all enjoyed the walk through memory lane...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Wooh, i didn't know that the Macross mod had so progressed! That's an excellent job.    
For the mix between the DYRL and the TV for my models: That's just because i think the SDF1 with the two boats is a little bit funnier than with the two ARMD.

In your mod, you respect the scale? For exemple, the ARMD is much too big in the original Robotech mod by rapport with the Nupetiet.

1.2km for the Macross
4km for the Nupetietx
2km for the Thuveri Salan...

http://www.merzo.net/
I think than everybody know this link.
I divide by 10 the scale of my Bodolza's Fortress (60km for 600 in reality)
°(-_-)°

Offline Getter Robo G

We try but certain issues IMHO afected gameplay so we fudge certain sizes... While still up in the air I am also considering enlarging Zentreadi ships.

Final size for SDF-1 is 4km.. Since this is from the PLAYERS perspective interaction with the ship is cruicial so to maintain belief we used the majority of shots from the show comparing how the VT's look to what part they were against (laning bays, bridge, ect...) of course this means Prometheus and Deadelus are way huge, but the main ship looks awesome so in the end it is a trade off). We had a Huge discussion on Game Warden (Matt's Site, and the Mod's host) about size and series content there so if you are interested in what was covered go take a look. Please read all the stickys to get caught up.

http://www.game-warden.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

I'll repost one more photos from there but one of the main recreations used was  the landing in the bow bays as there are several on each side of the main guns. To be more realistic and game friendly (plus it looked a hell of a lot cleaner) we had only 4 each modeled.

(Max chases Miriya into the landing bays)
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/getter_robo_g_2004/detail?.dir=ef5a&.dnm=ec8c.jpg&.src=ph

One of the coolest things I've done so far is that mission although it was with the Original skinned orion as a stand-in. In that same mission You notice someone targeted for destruction, and another major character is killed off. Back then you only heard what happened inside the ship. In the future Trashman figures he can make a city scape as a seperate model and link mission directly upon entering the landing bays (like when Khyron Invades through a Deadelus attack.  

I made a demo video (really crappy visuals) with my comp and vcr of the "blind game" episode. First time around it took me 5 HOURS to realign all the asteroids. I had to remake the mission 3 times over!!! so over 15 hours of tweaking to aproximate that episode he he...

http://www.game-warden.com/robotech/BlindGame1.mpg

I only copied 3 mins of game footage but it follows the episode closely.  If you noticed the mission is completely voiced. My mian goal was to immerse the player in the RT universe so I did a base voice library nearly 1 gig large from all the DVD's. Whenever possible the campaign woudl focus on episodes that involved combat in order of the show (Boobytrap, Blitzkrieg, Farewell Big Brother, ect..) BUT there will be surprises in between as well :D ..

I lost my movie making capability for now but in the future I hope to make clear quality cut scenes and then learn how to insert them in between certain missions, but that will be FAR into the future.

Below you can find screenshots from a little mission i've done this week with the scenario of the Episode "BlitzKrieg"

It is possible to add transparent texture (a ratio of transparency)?
On my planets Jupiter and Saturn i've done rings but i'm not really glad from the rendering, maybe than if i make a lot of little rings instead of a big with a unique texture...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 12:33:53 pm by 3004 »
°(-_-)°

Offline Getter Robo G

I had some ideas about that mission (but I have no real skills so they might not work) but I would like to discuss them with you later on.

I don't know if you noticed my recruitment attempt. Are you interested in helping us out?

For instance we have MANY Zentreadi ships posted on our to do lists including the one you have seen attacking sdf-1 (Thuveri Salan - Khyron's  Type).

If you decide yes, then please register at Game Warden as the mod is Hosted there by Matthew Papa.

If not, then I still wish you luck with your efforts independantly. many of us have visions of how this type of mod should be.

l8tr.

Geter Robo G, i'm trying to join Game Warden forum, but i need the name of a referrer: what is the name i should use?

I don't know if i could help you, i'm a rookie, but why not...
°(-_-)°

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Rowhider

It is possible to add transparent texture (a ratio of transparency)?

Yes, just modify the alpha map on the texture.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
HM...what should I do about heavy turrets in soldier mode?

I mena, we knows FGS2 engine doesn't support rotating turrets on the sides.. so should they be pointing in the normal (rest) position or towards the front (where SDF-1 is facing in soldier mode)?

When SDF-1 is in the main cannon fireing positions, it doesn't use normal turrets anyway (or does it?)

Offline Getter Robo G

Rowhider you shouldn't need a referer, but use the name Star Dragon, that's my original handle (before there was soem sort of security porblem on my end) and the one I am registered on GW as.

Trashman:  I was thinking of simply having a regular single turret invisible between the arms as tehy only fire it forward in every known instance (facing hed on) so teh glow will appear as in show between the gun arms  []+[] or something like that...   Ignore any side turrets that would normally rotate, make them single point non rotating but increase their FOV to compensate.

My main concern is to also have the deadelus attack version in the punching pose...

Also Carrier-less vesion of SDF-1 Cruiser Mode needed for missions 1&2... They wont be attached untill mission 3 (Transformation)... Technically they are towed to SDF-1 at END of misssion 2 (space fold)...