Author Topic: Experimental Project  (Read 12863 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Experimental Project
Check Ctrl + Shift + Alt + M to select non-magnifold edges, and check the edges around missing faces. This causes problems like this sometimes, but not likely this time. Try removing doubles and recalculate normals on your model.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
 The texuring willtake a while but I'm getting closr....

(to undersand texuring in blender at all.) :snipe:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:05:18 pm by cahdoge »
Understanding do you me?

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
You don't do the actual texturing in Blender, all you really do is a UVW mapping. You can do some Vertex coloring, but that's not going to be detailed at all.

You first map the model, create a blueprint of sorts that shows where your wireframe is, and then you use a image editor of your choice such as Photoshop or GIMP to make the actual texture.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
You know that texturing a model that is verry complex and dispalayed very huge by UV-mapping and using one texture is verry inefficent and uses a lot of graphical memory.

It's better to tile the texture so i can use a 750x750 texture and it looks detailed. When i do it the way you tell me i would have to use a texture with arund 10000x10000.
Understanding do you me?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Do you know that tiled textures generally look awful regardless of how "detailed" it is?
It is not better to use a tiled texture.

You might want to tile parts of a uvmap texture, but don't use tiles...that's an archaic method of texturing things as far as FS modding goes...
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
It's not a crime if you're using tile textures under one condition: Model is UVed on single, big map [or 2 big ones] and you're using parts of tile textures and copypaste them on actual uv islands. Many textures was made using this method, or baked. Everything is permitted as long, as you care about total amount of textures used by the model. The smaller the count - the better it is for the engine.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Aesaar

You know that texturing a model that is verry complex and dispalayed very huge by UV-mapping and using one texture is verry inefficent and uses a lot of graphical memory.

It's better to tile the texture so i can use a 750x750 texture and it looks detailed. When i do it the way you tell me i would have to use a texture with arund 10000x10000.
It won't look detailed, it'll look terrible.  For tilemapping to look even slightly passable, you need a whole lot more than just one texture.  And even then, the detail will look really washed out.

UV mapping is both more efficient and looks better.  Actually, IMO, a UV mapped flat grey texture with baked ambient occlusion looks better than any feasible tilemapping, and that'll remain the case until FSO can do real-time AO.

Betrayal's idea is how I did my TEI ships originally.  It's a good place to start, and is a massive improvement over standard tilemapping because, as I said, having baked AO and glows makes a world of difference.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:30:07 pm by Aesaar »