Author Topic: I would like to have the documentation on the Throttle gauge  (Read 2903 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I would like to have the documentation on the Throttle gauge
Let's make this quick, I got other aspects of this problem I want to get back to.

Very brief overview, I have been thinking on how to give better information on the movement that is not z-axis dominant (so everything that is not foward or reverse speed). I just finished building the first very rudimentary and barely adequate custom HUD gauge for that purpose.

However the real estate of the HUD I have put it in - to left of the section of the throttle for the afterburner segment and above the gauge for the afterburner energy (see attachment if its still there) - is also where the number for the current speed goes when you fire the afterburner.

What I would like is the move the number for the current speed from the left to the right side of the throttle gauge (where the numbers for min and max speed are located), however the documentation in the wiki is incomplete - so here we are.

Anyone knowes how to resolve this situation?

[attachment deleted to save space]
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 06:05:00 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline 0rph3u5

Re: I would like to have the documentation on the Throttle gauge
*Bump*
Changed the title of the topic to make it a bit more clearer.

This is not a complicated issue - and not one where I am trying to recruit someone to do my work for me. I will do the work, when I know how to correctly do it.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
While the documentation on the wiki is incomplete, having complete documentation wouldn't help with your problem, because the functionality you want does not exist: while you can change the offset for displaying the current speed, it always assumes it will be on the left-hand side of the throttle gauge (its position always has the current width of the display string subtracted from it).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline 0rph3u5

So, I am back to moving that new custom gauge - and it looked good where it is now.

Still, it would be nice if that fact were in documentation in the wiki.

Thanks for information, anyway.

==================