Author Topic: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging  (Read 98418 times)

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Re: Props to Passionate Community + Shameless Stream Plugging
Got some (very late) timestamps!

Hidden Text: Show
********** Silent Threat Single Missions **********
0:00:00 - Pre-Stream Banter
0:05:00 - Mission #6: Dead in the Water
0:27:58 - Mission #14: Order of the Eye
0:41:50 - Inconvenient Shivans 1
1:03:19 - Mission #15: Fortress
1:13:12 - Mission #16: Test of Honor
1:19:08 - Inconvenient Shivans 2
1:28:38 - Mission #17: Hunted
1:31:25 - Joe hates rocks
1:40:24 - Inconvenient Shivans 3
1:49:36 - Mission #18: The Master of Illusion
2:06:51 - Mission #19: Into the Fire
2:20:26 - Mission #20: Loner
2:33:00 - Mission #21: The Manhattan Project
2:44:35 - Joe breaks the mission
2:50:13 - Mission #22: Red Herring
3:18:59 - Mission #23: Roadkill
3:27:17 - Inconvenient Shivans 4
3:34:15 - Mission #24: The Sands of Normandy
3:56:00 - Bonk
3:57:20 - Post-Stream Banter

Offline redmagejoe

• Rage Mage of Ill Fated Gaming
    • Steam
Much appreciated my dude. I think last week's episode was probably the most mind-rending of my series thus far. I only give thanks that after this next session I'll (hopefully) never have to deal with such imbalanced, amateur garbage ever again.

... Right? :(
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Available for Voice Acting work!
Email me: [email protected]
Steam me: redmagejoe

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm surprised how poorly those missions aged.  (Or maybe it's FS1 vs FSO balance affecting gameplay again.)  I'll have to replay them on my copy of FS1; it's been a few years.

Order of the Eye, in particular, was made by Peter Drake, an important contributor in the very early days of FS modding.  He created several missions and wrote the documentation for FRED and FRED2.  And Order of the Eye was itself the source for a FRED tutorial.

This mission will involve an attack on a Shivan cargo depot. The GTA hopes to destroy most of the cargo, but steal one container full of warp coils. Furthermore, some Vasudan holy warriors, the Order of the Eye, are debating whether to join the Terran/Vasudan alliance or the Hammer of Light.

Unbeknownst to the GTA, the cargo depot is bait for a trap. When the Terran freighter tries to make off with the warp coils, a Shivan cruiser will jump in to intercept it. The Terrans will jump in a cruiser of their own, and then the Shivans will bring in two more.

The climactic issue of the mission is whether the Terrans can destroy one of the Shivan cruisers before their own is taken out. If so, the Order of the Eye will join them. Otherwise, the Order will join up with the Hammer of Light.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
I'm certainly not undermining the importance of the original missions to the legacy of FreeSpace and the like. I just know that what I played, engine and all, went the way it went on camera. :P

At the very least, I'm hoping it was entertaining to the audience! For now, I'm heading to sleep to be rested for tomorrow's stream. Hope to see you all there!
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Meanwhile, I have at last managed to clobber together a functional setup for the message box. Catch a zip file.

There are two versions of the configs I made: one locates the box above the reticle, and the other under it. There are also separate versions of each for FSPort, because if you place the config not specifically made for Freespace Port in its data folder, the HUD will break quite a bit.

How to install: grab the preferred version of the config without _fsport in its name, and just dump its "data" contents into your MVPS "data" folder. Then do the same for _fsport version, but toss it into mediavps-fsport instead.

Later on, this addition might come into conflict with mods that heavily reorganise the HUD, but if that happens, you can either remove the entire script and its config, remove just the mv_root-hdg.tbm file and end up with the head animation weirdly out of place, or alternatively, preparing a separate HUD config for such a mod should be a breeze for me now.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Six hours of sleep is good, right? Nah, I'll probably go back to sleep, but I saw I had mail.

I gave your thing a try on FreeSpace 2, Mito, and I got error messages out the asshole, back to back to back. Here's just one of the many errors it dumped to my clipboard, all of which involve axmsg-sct.tbm. I had to remove the files because it made missions unplayable, sadly.

Maybe you and Colt put your heads together on this since he's also been working on this via emails to me. In a perfect world, the head anims would stay in the top left. :P

Code: [Select]
LUA ERROR: [string "axmsg-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:354: attempt to index field 'Position' (a nil value)

------------------------------------------------------------------

stack traceback:
[C]: ?
[string "axmsg-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:354: in function 'DrawMessageBox'
[string "axmsg-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:310: in function 'Draw'
[string "axmsg-sct.tbm - On HUD Draw"]:467: in main chunk

Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

Uh, you mean retail FS2, or the latest MediaVPs? God damn it I have no idea what's going wrong in here because I actually have this working in my MediaVPs, and this is just a copy of the files I have...

Also, whaaaaat? Moving the head anis is literally the thing I've been trying to do since last week.

EDIT: okay I seem to have forgotten to toss a couple files, dumb me. Please try it again with this zip.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 06:31:18 am by Mito [PL] »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Looks like I'm wide awake now, because I had the audacity to upgrade Mjn's Main Halls and suddenly my mods say I'm "missing" them. So I'm in the process of reinstalling Main Halls from scratch in the hopes I can ****ing stream in 3.5 hours.

Anyway, I'm running on FSO 21.2 stable, and I tried running MVPS 4.4.2. I loaded up the NECK-BET mission, and immediately got over a dozen error messages. Head ani showed up down below the reticle, and every frame (after hitting Continue) I'd get another error message like it was happening while trying to draw a message box. I can go back and get you each and every error if that would help?

EDIT: Reinstalling didn't work. **** me, what do I do to fix this? I need a solution in 3 hours or less.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

See previous post for msgbox fix.

As for the mainhalls, gah. Looks like a package name changed for a reason and now everything relying on them will crash and burn. Stand by as I search for a quick and painless solution, even if temporary.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Mito [PL]

Apologies for double posting.

In the mod.json file of any mod you want to play (that likely will be MVPS, FSPort and FSPort-mediavps for today), replace
                {
                    "id": "MjnMHs",
                    "version": null,
                    "packages": [
                        "aquitaine_com",
                        "aquitaine"
                    ]
                }
with
                {
                    "id": "MjnMHs",
                    "version": "1.4.3",
                    "packages": [
                        "aquitaine_com",
                        "aquitaine"
                    ]
                }
That will make sure to force the mods to work with the previous, verified version of Mainhalls I believe. Please check if this will work on MVPS while I look around if the rest of the FSPort bunch has similar issues.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Okay, so... let's just in theory say I no longer have 1.4.3. I'm also aware that it's like, 4gb so it's not exactly easy to share... What do?
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

In Explore, you can navigate to Mjn's Mainhalls mod, enter Details, in the topleft corner choose 1.4.3, and then hit Install. Should work.

Meanwhile, mod.json files for fsport-mediavps and ST:R. Seems like Knossos will reject any attempt to Modify and likely Update these, but they should launch just fine.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Nope, dropdown only shows me 1.4.4.

Don't suppose you know of a place where you could upload a ~4gb rar or 7z, do you? :D
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

It needs to be accessed from the Explore tab. From Home tab, you only get the installed versions, and Explore should show all versions available from Nebula.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Aha, so it does. Alright then, I'll get this set up, and... try to get 2 more hours of sleep. At least I'll have a fun little rant to add to my planned pre-stream banter.

Thanks for all of your help, Mito. You're a life-saver.
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

Don't write the bugs off yet! Stuff still might happen.

Also please give the fixed version of message box a quick run if you can, I was really dumb when packing the previous one! :D
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline redmagejoe

• Steam
Both games launch, testing stuff now. Would be really nice if someone could optimize the Radar Icons at some point so they don't make my game **** itself every time I load into a mission for the first time, every time I hit F4 or F2 in mission, and return from those menus. Loading every single icon seems too much, but I don't know that there's any way to check what icons are needed by the mission to load only those.

Message boxes work fantastically in FS2 MediaVPs. Don't know how I feel about the chat "history" being tiny. I worry about the narrative text being cut off by the generic wingman responses and then me having to squint to read it in the top left corner. I guess there's no perfect world, though. It would be nice if there was a way to separate scripted messages from generic responses and display them in separate places.

Well that's not good. FreeSpace Port MediaVPs crashed with the following:

Error: FreeSpace2.fc2(line 7)
Error: Unable to find ship class GTF Myrmidon in stuff_int_list!
File: parselo.cpp
Line: 312

Wasn't getting that before. Happens when I try to load NORMAL FreeSpace Port as well. What the hell is going on?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 08:17:34 am by redmagejoe »
Ill Fated Gaming YouTube

Offline Mito [PL]

While I can't do much in regards to radar icons seemingly caching a bunch of stuff, the font change in message boxes should be trivial. Navigate to data/config/axmessage.cfg, locate "Backlog": entry and change "Font": value to 3. 1 is the small font, 2 is the huge font, 3 is the medium sized font.

As for the crash, please grab a debug log. Something is obviously wrong here and I'm not sure why.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Both games launch, testing stuff now. Would be really nice if someone could optimize the Radar Icons at some point so they don't make my game **** itself every time I load into a mission for the first time, every time I hit F4 or F2 in mission, and return from those menus. Loading every single icon seems too much, but I don't know that there's any way to check what icons are needed by the mission to load only those.
As far as I'm aware the thing that radar icons does that freezes the game up should ONLY happen the first time you launch ANY mission after starting the game, it shouldn't happen each mission and it defintely shouldn't happen for F4 or F2. But that doesn't mean it doesn't. Worth looking into, I've defintely noticed my F2 is taking a lot longer than it should and I hadn't made the connection to radar icons yet
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Mito, Mito, he's our man! If he can't fix it, no one can! Gooooo MITO!