Author Topic: Alpha Protocol  (Read 5234 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, this was part of the Steam summer sale, so I got it.

And so far, I have been enjoying it quite a lot. It's no Mass Effect, and it's sometimes incredibly infuriating (Camera controls are a bit weird, enemy AI seems to work only when it wants to, weapon SFX and music are decidedly mediocre....), but it's also quite rewarding in a way. It has that Deus Ex-ish principle of giving you multiple approaches, and it is actually smart enough to take previous player actions into account when you deal with NPCs.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline mxlm

I rate AP a hell of a lot higher than ME, though ME2 is better than AP.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, I would rate it about as high, if it weren't for the simple issue of Obsidian being really, atrociously bad at QA testing. I haven't come across truly game-breaking bugs so far, but glitches abound. As it is, it's still a good game, but it's just not as good as it could and by all rights should have been.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Why is this being compared to Mass Effect? What are the similarities?

Conversation, influence, alignment.
Could we with ink the ocean fill, and were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill, and every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above, would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole, though stretched from sky to sky!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What he said. Just as Mass Effects' narrative is shaped by the player actions, so is Alpha Protocols'. But Alpha Protocol goes a bit beyond ME in that Mike Thorton has a much wider array of choices, and that AP does a good job of keeping track of where you've been previously, and establishing a good feedback loop between your decisions, and the way the story unfolds.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
See, I agree with mxlm but I preferred ME1 to ME2 (The writing of the overarching plot was far better than the atrocity that was ME2's overarching plot - the individual character stories) and I wasn't happy with some of the changes made in ME2 compared to ME1. For me it roughly goes ME 1 > AP = ME2.

I had a blast with AP, it would've been great if Obsidian could actually QA there games properly.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Luis Dias

To say that AP = ME2 immediately disqualifies you from any further gaming analysis.

I won't even rate mxlm's words for the risk of collapsing the universe.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
To say that AP = ME2 immediately disqualifies you from any further gaming analysis.

I won't even rate mxlm's words for the risk of collapsing the universe.

Or you know, people rate things in different ways, and have these things called Opinions. And in my opinion, well written story and innovation pay for a lot. AP managed one of those (Fairly innovative take on the ME formula, and half-suceeded on the plot front, definitely on the execution of it), whereas ME2 failed in both regards. ME1 had both, because it was breaking a mold and had a well written space opera plot.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I've had this game on my radar for a while. It seems to have its fair share of problems, but anything remotely like Deus Ex is worth a look.

Offline Luis Dias

ME2 is not badly written. The script is robust. However, many people didn't like the main story. I didn't find it "astonishing" but it's not a bad story. It's cohesive, has a point and clearly shows what the reapers are all about and their intentions in ME universe. This leaves out pretty much 80% of the whole game which is about building relationships and get to know pretty much good characters throughout the game, and get side sci-fi stories all the way.

AP has a pathetic main story (and oh boy how badly it starts) and the characters are dull, uninspiring and one couldn't care less about their fates. AP has a pathetic combat mechanic, even ME was better than this, and its 4 years old. AP has dull graphics and the whole game is just hurried to finish.

Not that it isn't worth 5 bucks. It is well worth that price. Not much higher though....

EDIT: Do I need to mention that you can change your hair and your beard ingame and while you are in front of a ****ing WARDROBE?

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
ME2's plot is borderline retarded.  There, I said it.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

Explain.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

Explain.

No.

But I'll point you to a couple of sources (same author) that better explain it than I ever could.

One. Two.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
They, like Luis Dias, do not comprehend a limited viewpoint, among other narrative functions.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
They, like Luis Dias, do not comprehend a limited viewpoint, among other narrative functions.

See the individual arcs for the characters were good. The overarching plot was godawful compared to ME1's. Borderline retarded is an excellent description.

<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Luis Dias

LOL @ NGTM-1R. Stop trolling me.

Raven, what did you think was so bad in ME2's plot?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is a thread about Alpha Protocol. ME2 thread is elsewhere.

Offline Luis Dias

Trying to make a base reference point so we can trash AP's plot to the shredder.