Author Topic: I cannot find a few old mods  (Read 13099 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: I cannot find a few old mods
It seems multiplayer demo is much more common than singleplayer beta ,of course I would like to have both of them on FSMods ,though I still have data files ,without .exe they are useful only for modding , .eh files can't be read by FS ,and changing extension to .vp fools only VPViev 2.0 (I tried that on 1.0 and got an error).
I never had singleplayer beta ,it appears it wasn't very popular ,but it has things like SW interface ,so I can use it for my mod. Also ,if there is anyone still interested in Imperial Alliance I can make update to singleplayer version ,porting models from multiplayer one (UV Mapped and with right number of turrets).
I (or somebody else) can even try to make campaign for it ,because this ,FoTG missile release and some old FS1 model set are only SW mods ever released for FS engine.
I'm big SW fan ,and I think something is better than nothing ,so even poor quality SW mod is better for me than lack SW mod at all. I think lot of SW fans will be pleased with re-release of IA ,and maybe there will be even some fan campaigns (at least one - my own).

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I have IASetup.exe, which I believe is the multiplayer demo, and ia16mgfx.zip, the 16 million color texture update, named "Imperial Alliance Multiplayer Demo GFX Update 1.0"  If those are already going to be uploaded to fsmods, I won't mess with it, otherwise I'll upload whatever no one else has.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes ,those are multiplayer ones. It will be good to have them uploaded ,but what I'm really missing is singleplayer version. I hope somebody still have it ,I haven't heard of it apart from it's thread.

Offline Rico

I recall there was a cruiser called the olympic or olympia, it was almost flat so that the weapons had a great field of fire, anti fighter cruiser, anyone happen to have that on their HDD? with an upgrade it could be a nice cruiser (it use to be on HLP download section years ago)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
If you mean this (attachment) ,it's here ,in Into The Halls Of Valhalla campaign: http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.38
It's currently labeled "LPC Galleon" ,but you can copy it's entry from .tbl ,paste into text file ,rename the ship to
GTC Olympus and then rename text file to: Olympus-shp.tbm (in fact ,only important thing in name is
-shp.tbm ,"main" name can be anything. Also be careful to not get something like olympus-shp.tbm.txt ,because it will not work).
The campaign itself also deserves to be played ,if you want ,you may download my HTL Valhalla path
http://www.freespacemods.net/download.php?view.523 from FSMods ,so you will get upgraded Raynor model.
I hope that is what you wanted ,and I really recommend this campaign ,it's set in derelict continuum and very good.
You can also look for the prequel "Police Action" ,it's on FSMods.

[attachment deleted by evil Tolwyn]

Offline Rico

that looks like it (updated), thanks  ;)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I wish it was all that easy.
Unfortunately Imperial Alliance is not a ship burrowed in the campaign release ,so It's much harder to find.
Some people have multiplayer version ,but nobody seems to have singleplayer one.
I hope somebody with singleplayer one will respond.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I don't believe it was ever released publicly like the multiplayer one.  I think it was an internal testing release only, so odds are not a lot of people have their hands on a single player version.  Has anyone uploaded the multiplayer one and the patch yet?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I think it was released ,it seems at least one person ,Black Wolf ,downloaded and rated it ,and judging from discussion in the release thread http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,26249.msg528061.html#msg528061 he wasn't part of the team. So it was most likely public. I don't know if anybody else have it ,maybe I should PM Black Wolf.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
There's no mention of it on their website in the web archive, so if it was public, it was in the forums like the multiplayer one, but I'm pretty sure even then you had to get some sort of beta tester access for it.  Plus, the code is so old it won't hardly run on newer PCs.  Can't change the resolution, D3D only, etc.  It's pretty rough, but if you can get it running, then have fun.

Also:
Imperial Alliance Multiplayer Demo
Imperial Alliance high-res TGA textures patch

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Thanks ,I think I will just ask Black Wolf about beta ,as I recall IA is dead ,so maybe it can be released as a dump.
In fact ,I'm searching for this old and outdated TC because I want to use some of materials included in it.
Of course I will play it just because of curiosity ,but I don't think I will be making missions for it on a larger scale if there will be low intrest in it. Also it's the last lost mod on the list.  :)

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
The resources are pretty low quality, you'd be better off asking MetalDestroyer for his Homeworld SW mod conversion.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I had and enjoyed SW Warlords on my old computer ,and when I will install HW2 on my new one ,Warlords will be the first mod I will install. I want things like mainhall to use in my SW themed TC. Interface is one of the things unavailable from Multiplayer demo.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I mean MetalDestroyer converted the Warlords models to Freespace ones.  They're probably better looking than the stuff IA was using.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Thats wonderful ,I didn't even knew about those models conversion ,but I have another plan.
I would like to know how to convert models from XWA Upgrade project to .pof .
The only problem is ,the made just for player models with modelled cockpits and capital ships have very complicated hierarchy. That means in for example fighter ,pilot model consist of countless small models and I just got lost with them. I had no clue what to do ,now thanks to BSG mod alpha (which also has ships with enormous number of hierarchy levels) I can reverse engineer ship with similar complication level and learn how it's done. It will take a lot of time ,but I hope results will be at least close to quality of some older models in mediavps.
I will also UV map those models ,and make shine maps via Infran View (believe or not what I have so far using this method is quite decent). The reason for this is I want to have all manned fighters with cockpits ,and I use "show ship" flag to show them (in FS2 I use it with excellent results). As I mentioned I would like to use SW interface from IA ,and multiplayer version lacks certain things (numerously mentioned mainhall for example).

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
It's been done before as well, but at least DarkSaber doesn't like people doing such things with his models.  There's a big rant on his website about it.  You're better off with the Warlords ones really, MetalDestroyer is a lot friendlier.  Read DS' most recent newspost.

It is possible to convert them, but I don't know how.  The ones I've seen have the cockpits deleted and the windows textured over.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
AFAIk no one has done any in ages...
It's a bit of a process.

Aside from that, what is this all about?

Any mod that is a WIP and NOT downloadable has no credits or link ect available to the public anyway (like most of MY projects, none of them are "releasable" anyway)

I know for a fact some of his work is on my back burner (for PERSONAL converts) as well as many of the ones the original team did (and they secured them for permission, but later on decided to eventually replace them for HTl versions - the new thing on the block back then lol).

AFAIK no one else aside from IA people use them, have used them, or will use them.

SO what in hades is going on?

Example: Someone can't give me permission 3+ years ago and revoke it out of the blue just because someone else (unidentified) did something wrong. That's the silliest thing I ever heard of. Try applying logic like that in the real world.  :)

Now if he stated something like "Future inquiries will be refused" that I can understand. Like what happened over at SCF3, one of the authors pulled all his DL links because of some jackass raped several mods and never credited ANY of them! Then he tried to justify it on TOP of that! And note it wasn't for personal it was for a MOD he was going to RELEASE as "his own".

That means his website would basically have no downloads. As no one can "steal" what you don't make avaialable... But then again just like that situation I mentioned THOSE culprits already have the models so the damage is done and you'd only punish other future modders.

REPUTATION is everything in the modding community. It also reflect on you how you handle those situations as well as your own personal behavior both as an artist or a mod maker.

I hope he comes to his senses.

"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
There's no mention of it on their website in the web archive, so if it was public, it was in the forums like the multiplayer one, but I'm pretty sure even then you had to get some sort of beta tester access for it.  Plus, the code is so old it won't hardly run on newer PCs.  Can't change the resolution, D3D only, etc.  It's pretty rough, but if you can get it running, then have fun.

Also:
Imperial Alliance Multiplayer Demo
Imperial Alliance high-res TGA textures patch

Holy ****. Old is right. That launcher has to be about FSO 3.5. Doesn't even let me play it either; says I have no RAM.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah if you have over a certain amount, older versions of FSO would roll over and think you have negative ram.  It would be nice if we could integrate their codebase and then use the assets to 'remake' IA.  It did have a certain following.