Author Topic: Ascent: Frontier Elite 2 the MMO (Playable game with Kickstarter)  (Read 2592 times)

Ascent: Frontier Elite 2 the MMO (Playable game with Kickstarter)
I've been playing this free MMO for a few weeks now. It's pretty interesting! Here's a link to their Kickstarter: http://kck.st/1CAk0M1

They only need another $15K to finish up, and they're running out of time. Since I like this game, I've actually backed it myself, and am asking you all to do the same.

What do I like about this game?
1. There are full sized planets. A whole galaxy full of them, actually. Look!

2. Seamless transition between atmosphere and space. You can colonize planets anywhere you like (outside the 8 starting systems)

3. A very friendly community!

Now, despite the fact that the developers have a Kickstarter, they've got a leg up on some other Kickstarter Space MMOs for a few reasons

1. The game is live, and playable right now! Go to www.thespacegame.com to try it out!

2. They've put up a clear budget regarding what the money is for.

3. They've already got a small but very dedicated and friendly playerbase (The standard way to get rid of your older ships is to give them to new players giving them a leg up)

4. The game has premium play, but it is very cheap. Three dollars gets you a month of full premium, and there are three sections that each cost 99 cents, in case you only want to experience one aspect of the game.
This is my only contribution to FSSCP

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Ascent: Frontier Elite 2 the MMO (Playable game with Kickstarter)
I give them credit for their cheap prices.

Anything else noteworthy about it?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I give them credit for their cheap prices.

Anything else noteworthy about it?

Um, colonization of upwards of 270 billion star systems? You can create your own colonies and trade between players for resources.

These mods are made from natural code that we pump in from retail. If you tried to run one, it would be like standing outside with nostalgia and pure awesome shining on your face. It would also set your computer on fire, so don't actually do it.

:confused: Why did my thread get stickied? I think you didn't click the "delete thread" button correctly, Scotty! Whatever, doesn't matter. Thanks, that's cool!

So, I may have advertised the existence of this thread (and the fact that it was stickied) over on the Ascent website. If you get some stories here, that's why.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I certainly didn't do anything.  Somebody else did it.

Offline swumpex

Thanks, Inglonias, for the intro and the thread!

Hi everyone, Chris here - I make up 50% of Fluffy Kitten Studios, the developer of Ascent! We think we've got some amazing features in game, and I encourage you to check it out. We've been developing full time for over a year, and I believe that we're doing some things that are unprecedented in gaming. What we have so far is all the work of one (creative, genius) person - we're running this Kickstarter to improve our graphics and UI, which will ideally make us more accessible to a wider audience.

If you have any questions about what we're doing, post here or drop me a line! Happy to have a chat

cheers,

Chris

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
heh, cool. now fire your art department and get a new one. those ships are ugly.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I saw this the other day and got hung up on the 270 billion systems to explore bit because it's absolutely ridiculous from a game-design perspective. 90% of those won't ever be used and all it'll serve to do is thin out the playerbase over a bunch of needless systems. A couple thousand systems is even stretching the limit of feasibility.

I like the concept, but that one detail bothers me because I've played stuff like FreeLancer mods that had faaaar too many systems for the playerbase, and beyond that, had far too many 'empty' systems.

e: That's not to say that makes the game bad, it's still quite interesting.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:57:11 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

The obvious question as a consumer is "what does this offer that Elite Dangerous doesn't?"
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.