Author Topic: A question RE: Fan Fiction  (Read 2585 times)

Offline NickM

A question RE: Fan Fiction
Guys:

I know written short stories & fan art are forms of fan fiction but has anybody ever thought of doing 'short films' as a form of fan art? I mean use the FRED system & other software to 'short stories' like the visual equivalent of 'radio dramatizations' like 'Big Finish' does for Dr. Who or Blake's 7?

I've seen some on-line players who 'edit' their missions both from cockpit view & external camera views to give the impression of a movie track rather than just a mission in a campaign;

Thing is, I don't know if there are copyright restrictions or prohibitions of say the Freespace or wing commander universe that prevent somebody from doing something like that.

Any information is helpful;

Thanks ahead of time.

Re: A question RE: Fan Fiction
That'd be completely cool, we already have similar projects that haven't had any issues. Just don't try to make money off it.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline NickM

Thank you for the feedback; as for making money, I doubt I can even come close to creating such a project :D

But then again who knows? The Terran Kilrathi War and the Earth Vasudan wars lasted 'decades'; I'm sure there were some backwater skirmishes that didn't need a frikkin' carrier battlegroup.

Offline NickM

That'd be completely cool, we already have similar projects that haven't had any issues. Just don't try to make money off it.

Honestly I am thinking more along the lines of 'Blue vs Red' or whatever it's called.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
To my knowledge, nobody's used FSO for machinima yet; on the other hand, fully-voiced in-engine cutscenes are a thing, and functionally indistinguishable from machinima.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline NickM

Machinima? So that's what they call it.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Thing is, I don't know if there are copyright restrictions or prohibitions of say the Freespace or wing commander universe that prevent somebody from doing something like that.

If you are in a territory that has a "fair use"-policy (e.g. the USA) you have grounds to argue that fan fiction is fair use as commentary/satire of your reference material* as long as you make no money of it (through add revenue, merchandise or similar). However, companies based/doing buisness in the US have the obligation to challange any supposed use of their copyright, otherwise they lose their claim on the copyright (that's how fan projects get shut down).

If you live somewhere that doesn't even acknowledge the concept of fair use (e.g. Germany) you wholly at the mercy of the licence holders.

Since both Freespace (licence and copyright held by Interplay) and Wing Commander (licence help by ???, copyright held by EA) are held by US-based companies, you might be looking a throny prospect.

* (Note: you actually have to comply with a certain ammount of actualy engagement in terms of commentary for that to apply but there are grounds to argue that inserting your original characters in a universe and then have them react to it counts as commentary of a sorts - but take that with a huge helping of salt)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 05:25:35 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Since both Freespace (licence and copyright held by Interplay) and Wing Commander (licence help by ???, copyright held by EA) are held by US-based companies, you might be looking a throny prospect.
It's no more thorny than the existence of mods set in those universes.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.