Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422748 times)

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.10.1 (combined launcher/installer)
@Nikogori: At some point the nightlies got a newer SDL version which uses different GUIDs for the joysticks. Now I have to update Knossos to automatically detect which GUIDs to use based on the SDL version. It'll get solved eventually (I already have a solution in mind) but it'll take some time unit it's done. Until then you can either use an older build or put the correct GUID infs2_open.ini manually (your joystick's GUID appears in fs2_open.log).
@ngld: Has there been any luck incorporating the fix for joysticks and SDL2 into Knossos?  I've tried to follow your instructions, but I must be doing it wrong somehow.  I found an old fs2_open.log and copied the GUID from there, but it is exactly the same as it is listed in my fs2_open.ini.  Only things I can think of is that this log file isn't as old as I thought it was, or that I'm not modifying the correct fs2_open.ini.  Is there a particular location I should be looking for these files?  I'm just using search and looking at whatever turns up.

Sorry, this is probably pretty basic stuff, but it has stopped me in my tracks.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I haven't been able to fix the joystick issue, yet. You need to copy the GUID from a new fs2_open.log. After all, the problem is that the newer builds use a different GUID than the old builds and Knossos still generates the old GUID. That's why the old log matches what your fs2_open.ini already had.

:banghead:
I knew it was going to be something obvious like that!
So, I should run a debug build in Knossos? Or do I need to run one from the wxlauncher?
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Either will work.

That worked!  Thanks!
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Is it possible to add something like "File was last updated on:" for those who are using the FSNebula links for regular (non-Knossos) installing?

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Done. I've also added the version number.

Wow, that was quick! :)

Is it possible to have the dates also for the individual files? Because there are questions like this here: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94378.msg1870434#msg1870434 , and I remember that I had to re-DL Exile some time ago, while only a few files had been updated.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Both values (version and last updated) are already stored in the database as such it was easy to display them on the page (less than 20 lines change).
I don't store when individual files are uploaded. I'd have to check past releases and then check if the package was changed since then. I'll probably add it but it might take a while.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.11.1 (combined launcher/installer)
So... I finally got another release done. This one fixes a the usual bugs that were reported and also adds a bunch of new things:

• mjn improved the update notifications on the Home tab, added notifications to the save buttons and fixed a few inconsistencies.
  • I've improved the FS2 build selection. Knossos should now automatically use 64bit builds if possible.
    There's also a new field in the FSO global flags section which allows you to manually select a build if you want to.
  • The joystick selection should now work even with recent nightlies.
  • The global flags section can now be applied to all installed FSO versions.
  • The top bar now notifies you when FSO is launching or running.
  • Knossos should only complain about running tasks if it's installing a mod or doing something important which can't be interrupted.
    This will hopefully make this message less annoying.
  • m!m found (and fixed) a bug which caused FSO's stable releases to become invisible once you told Knossos to use nightly builds.
  • If a mod can't be installed (or launched), you'll get a much clearer error message.

This release is 0.11.1 (with no 0.11.0 announced here) because I ran into a problem with the Windows build of Knossos:
The Windows build has been 32bit so far to ensure compatiblity with both 32bit and 64bit computers. One of Knossos' dependencies (PyQt5) is missing a few components in its latest 32bit release. I can't find any official announcement so I'm not sure if it's intentional or an accident. However, if it's intentional, I won't be able to provide 32bit Windows builds in the future. For the time being, I've solved the issue by staying on an older version. Now my questin is: Would this actually be an issue for anyone here? I plan on having the next version of Knossos automatically report the system's architecture (32/64bit) to see how many would be affected by this change but I wanted to ask beforehand.

Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.11.1 (combined launcher/installer)
I'm having an issue with in game resolution. After updating Knossos yesterday it doesn't matter which mod I run, the game will always run at my native desktop resoultion (2560 x 1440) no matter what I set it to in Knossos options. I scale down my in game resolution so I can read the text much easier. Any ideas on how to fix this? it worked before updating.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.11.2 (combined launcher/installer)
@Airborne2: Can you tell me what VideocardFs2open is set to in your %appdata%\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\fs2_open.ini?

I've released 0.11.2 which fixes a few UI bugs, allows you to save packages once again (weird bug caused by outdated dependencies on the CI) and reports your processor's architecture.
Since no one complained about it since my last post, I'm assuming that 64bit builds won't be a problem but I'll wait a few weeks before I make any decision on that matter.

It says OGL -(1360x768)x32 bit which is what I'm trying to run it at but it doesn't seem to be working.

On a side note is sorting mods using the option in the upper right of knossos not fully implemented yet?

Edit:After some more testing it actually does seem to be running at the proper resolution but the UI isn't scaling properly in every mod. For reference I first installed Inferno: nostos and finished that, then Exile and finished that followed by blue planet complete. I recently installed between the ashes and that's when I first noticed it. I thought it was just that mod but exiles UI is small now as well where it wasn't before. It's also possible exiles UI was always that small and I've just already forgotten that. either way this issue seems to with the UI itself and not the games resolution which might not even be related to knossos.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 04:23:18 am by Airborne2 »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
It says OGL -(1360x768)x32 bit which is what I'm trying to run it at but it doesn't seem to be working.
Not sure why it's not working then. Knossos is doing exactly what it should. FSO is just ignoring it. You can try putting -res 1360x768 in Settings > Global Flags > Custom Flags and hit "Apply to all".

On a side note is sorting mods using the option in the upper right of knossos not fully implemented yet?
No, it's one of the things that aren't finished, yet. I also have a tagging system planned which will allow you to filter the mod list by TC, engine builds and other stuff (like language).

No, it's one of the things that aren't finished, yet. I also have a tagging system planned which will allow you to filter the mod list by TC, engine builds and other stuff (like language).

I'll be looking forward to that. I was interested because it seems at least one new mod was added to the list but I don't know which one.

Also I edited my previous post if you could look at that.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Mods can tweak the HUD (including its size). Here's one example that might help you.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:54:48 pm by ngld »

Offline wistler

Hi,

I've come back to FreeSpace after a long time and wanted to say that Knossos looks dope! You guys have done a great job.
I had an issue with downloading Knossos as it was flagged by Norton and Windows Defender as being unsafe (and auto deleted). This might new people off from downloading and proceeding past that point.
This point might have been raised earlier in the thread (I wouldn't know as i never learnt how to read!  :shaking: )

Keep up the good work.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
AFAICT most AV programs consider Knossos "unsafe" or w/e because it's a "rare" file (which means that not too many people used it).
According to virustotal only 2/65 AV programs consider the installer suspect and 4/68 think that Knossos itself looks suspicous.

Some of the tools I used to package Knossos (NSIS and PyInstaller in particular) have been used by malware authors as well but that alone shouldn't be enough to make a file supicious. The best way to find out why your AV flagged Knossos would be to ask your AV vendor. In any case, I can't really do anything about it...

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Mhh.. i encountered a strange error.

Actually i am not able to create a mod that has one of some other mod as a dependency.

I get a "requires 'FSO' which is missing" error message. But this one disappear if i delete the Mod as an Dependency, so it has nothing to do with the FSO package. The change between the last nightly and last official executable made no difference.

I can create and start mods that has mods like Dusk Wars, Exile, Burning Heaven, FreeSpace Port, Shadow Genesis or Scrolls of Antankharzin as an dependency, but i get the error message with Mods like Blue Planet Complete, Between The Ashes or even The Aeos Affair.

@Novachen: Sounds like the version requirements on FSO are conflicting. I should improve that error message. In the meantime, can you open the %appdata%\knossos\log.txt and check if it contains a message like "No version of mod "FSO" found for these constraints: ..." ?

The new error message is much clearer.
The problem for the said mods is, that all of them require a ==3.8.0-2 version of FSO... so they do not support a newer version, which is conflicting if i create a mod for them that is using a Nightly one, not to say about, that Knossos uses 3.8.0-3 by default now.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
I'll reach out to the mod uploaders and tell them to fix that. I guess we'll need some proper guidelines on dependencies (as a rule of thumb, you should always allow newer versions of FSO but keep most mod dependencies locked to their current version).