Author Topic: Freespace 2 Steam Version Help!!  (Read 7546 times)

Freespace 2 Steam Version Help!!
Freespace 2 was just released on Steam less than an hour ago and myself along with many others are having issues getting it to even run. I Have Win 8.1 -  Pentium 3 - 8G RAM - GTX660m Card. Here are the messages i'm getting. I have searched this on the forum but there is no info as of yet about this issue when referring to a standard Steam install.
Also note that this pops up AFTER I have already configured the game in the Launcher..and it doesn't restart the launcher after the first message...just goes straight to the ERROR message.

"Attention!"
"Please configure your system in the Launcher before running FS2."
"The Launcher will now be started!"

Then I get another message pop up that states..

ERROR
"Freespace2/Fred2 cannot be run from a drive root directory!"

And then it just shuts down

http://steamcommunity.com/app/273620/discussions/0/540743757273937814/?tscn=1402096474

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Freespace 2 Steam Version Help!!
I don't know how to fix that error on retail FS2. Have you tried installing FreeSpace Open?

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I was getting these exact message. I guess we better prepare for a whole load of people coming with exactly this message.

Dungchunker, in short. Install Freespace open.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

I don't know how to fix that error on retail FS2. Have you tried installing FreeSpace Open?

I am installing FSO as I am typing this. I saw a few suggestions of this on the FS2 Steam forums in response to my inquiry on there. Since the default Steam installation location is c:/ Program files x86 and not standard "program files/ games" it still may all be for not..don't know yet.. you have any thoughts on this?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
You can copy your Freespace 2 folder to, say, C:\Games\Freespace 2\ and then install FSO there.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Hey All, torn on if I should reply to such an old thread, but I have the problem that is noted here.  After a decade of realizing I missed Freespace2, I loaded if off of Steam and excitedly started it and *dammit*, the error above.  Someone said to install the files to C:\games\freespace ?  That is fine, but I dont even know where Steam puts stuff.

So if I can move it to C:\games\freespace, then I install freespace open and just run freespace open?

THanks

Scott

So I move the freespace 2 directory to games, and it moved, without error, so now I have this:
C:\games\freespace2
But same error.
I manually run either FS2 or Freespace2 and get the error.

Thoughts....

THanks
Scott

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Just use the installer. : )

Installer Release Thread.

:) ;)

Thanks that did it !