Author Topic: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask  (Read 168254 times)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Re: Things you want to know about BWO but were afraid to ask
Also the Campaign Restoration Project has been plenty busy on bringing Warzone upto SCP spec with the fancy new backgrounds and whatnot.  That will no doubt be out soonish as its looking quite complete.  Thats upto them.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Ehm... :rolleyes:

Question: Are you using FRED made cutscenes?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
No, important events are done in-mission like FS2 as opposed to by cutscenes. Generally they're triggered in such a way where you won't miss them in the action.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
I mean take off and landing cutscenes in each mission. Are you using them?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Snail

• SC 5

I doubt it.

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
I think the same. Only a mad FREDder like me tries to add in-missions cutscenes :blah:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel

This isn't Wing Commander. BWO is not stylistically departing from previous FreeSpace games. There are a few missions that you launch from a fighterbay but generally the missions start as soon as you arrive using your intra-system subspace drive.

Do you want to have to watch a cutscene every single mission of launching and jumping out? Especially if it's a tough mission where you can die?
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Snail

• SC 5
And what if you want to jump out 5 times?

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
This isn't Wing Commander. BWO is not stylistically departing from previous FreeSpace games. There are a few missions that you launch from a fighterbay but generally the missions start as soon as you arrive using your intra-system subspace drive.

Wing Commander has nothing to do with the missions I have in mind(part of which are already done). In WCS, there are no take off cutscenes. You start the mission in the fighterbay. And there are no landing cutscenes, you actually land on a carrier. As far as I know, only the new autopilot system consists in a cutscene. Rather than using navpoints and time compression, you simply see your fighter as it travels.

Do you want to have to watch a cutscene every single mission of launching and jumping out? Especially if it's a tough mission where you can die?

Ipse dixit, Karajorma docet.
Take a look.

It is possible to skip take off cutscenes if you fail the mission and replay it.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
We do not add things to BWO for the sake of adding them, we're going for the same feel as the original game and so such cutscenes would be frivolous and pointless. There are however missions where you do launch from a fighterbay into an engagement, but isn't the focus of the action or plot.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Mobius: Yep I've seen WCS's auto pilot system and its really neat and the waypoint style play takes me right back to Wing Commander. 

BWO doesn't use that system because, as Ace points out, we're staying within the FreeSpace style of one gameplay area per-mission.  The idea is that BWO is meant to be a theoretical continuation of the FreeSpace storyline.  Not a direct sequel in that we don't deal with Shivans...but a fun diversion sort of like how Silent Threat was...or maybe more aptly since this is a fan addition...the same idea as Derelict or Warzone or Twilight.  So we're staying with the established FreeSpace gameplay.
- IceFire

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
I get your point, but I don't share your opinion about the "original FreeSpace gameplay".

We have cutscene SEXPs, we can use them without changing the original gameplay. There could have been in-mission cutscenes in FS3, who knows?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
We're going by established gameplay. Once again just because we *can* do something doesn't mean that we should. In-game events can drive the plot just as well, if not better, than cutscenes and it doesn't take the player out of the action.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
I like your idea, but:

1) In-mission cutscenes mean a lot of eyecandy. That's something that should be taken in consideration, expecially if we're talking about a major FreeSpace project(in this case, Blackwater Operations);

2) In-game events are good, but they could be sorted in an exaggerate way. In Inferno R1, for example, there continuosly were important events. The result? In the EA-part of the campaign you fight more EA destroyers than cruisers. A bit unrealistic;
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Let me make another point that I'm sure will resonate with most people here.  The missions have already been scripted and finished minus a few tweaks not already found in testing.  Going back again and adding even more features is a trap we previously fell into and we really want to finish BWO sometime this century.

BWO also has a very strong mix of ships.  I'd say if anything, its the Aeolus and Mentu that get overworked during the campaign rather than the large destroyers.  Not to say that we don't have them and thats of course ignoring the prototype Golgotha class but I think you'll find very FreeSpace style gameplay and balance of ships.
- IceFire

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
...ts the Aeolus and Mentu that get overworked during the campaign....
Oh yes... :yes2::yes:

wait... what about the Deimos

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
1) In-mission cutscenes mean a lot of eyecandy. That's something that should be taken in consideration, expecially if we're talking about a major FreeSpace project(in this case, Blackwater Operations);

... and a hell of work for any FREDer... doing a simple cutscene-mission takes about 3 times more time to get it straight and good looking than a standart mission;
y? - one, you have got to deal with a lot of scripted thing to happen you really have to tie up and two, you have to do music and camera scripting which takes a lot of time 'cause there is nothing to do but to try and to try and to try again

eyecandy is not everything (esspecially EC is player dependant) - and it can be create the usual way

2) In-game events are good, but they could be sorted in an exaggerate way. In Inferno R1, for example, there continuosly were important events. The result? In the EA-part of the campaign you fight more EA destroyers than cruisers. A bit unrealistic;

that says alot about how bad the story-to-FREDing transfer in the INFR1 worked (that is why INFR1 joined ITDOH into the campaign trashcan on my computer)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Online Mobius

• Back where he started
Let me make another point that I'm sure will resonate with most people here.  The missions have already been scripted and finished minus a few tweaks not already found in testing.  Going back again and adding even more features is a trap we previously fell into and we really want to finish BWO sometime this century.

You're damn right. I was just saying that in-mission cutscenes would be great. Are you going to add them in a second release(such as a patch)? :)

BWO also has a very strong mix of ships.  I'd say if anything, its the Aeolus and Mentu that get overworked during the campaign rather than the large destroyers.  Not to say that we don't have them and thats of course ignoring the prototype Golgotha class but I think you'll find very FreeSpace style gameplay and balance of ships.

Nice :yes:

... and a hell of work for any FREDer... doing a simple cutscene-mission takes about 3 times more time to get it straight and good looking than a standart mission;
y? - one, you have got to deal with a lot of scripted thing to happen you really have to tie up and two, you have to do music and camera scripting which takes a lot of time 'cause there is nothing to do but to try and to try and to try again

eyecandy is not everything (esspecially EC is player dependant) - and it can be create the usual way

In fact I consider myself a masochist because I'm "cutscening" the whole first episode of Steadfast.  :blah:

Cutscenes are fantastic, but they need time. Sometimes, FreeSpace crashes and I have to check everything to find my error(s) :blah:

that says alot about how bad the story-to-FREDing transfer in the INFR1 worked (that is why INFR1 joined ITDOH into the campaign trashcan on my computer)

I didn't like the massive presence of destroyers, but INFR1 remains one of my favourite campaigns(obvious...for an Inferno Fanboy  :p ).

According to IceFire, BWO will try to keep the balance.  ;7
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
There will not be in-mission cutscenes in BWO. There are cinematic events in the campaign, but they occur in-mission.

There are no plans for a "second release" either. Which is why we're waiting on the first release to have ships HTLed. There will be one release of BWO.
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
No possiblility of the split voice acted / non voice acted version? Or was that ST:R I was thinking of?