Author Topic: Battlefleet Gothic: The RTS  (Read 35986 times)

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Re: Battlefleet Gothic: The RTS
Heh beat me to the post, just heard about this on FB. Have been looking forward to them (TechnologyFTW!) and didn't realise they were going to add them to the pre-order too. :yes:
*drools at Eldar ships*
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Eldar are part of the original four race line-up ... but they have not been in the Beta because there were issues with their balance that appeared during the closed beta (same with Orkz); they will come "next week"
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Leave my lance boats at home?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline 0rph3u5

Eldar have only a 6k range on most of their weapons, so you might hang on to stuff that is going to shoot them on the way in and the way out

Tindalos also opened a poll in their forums, on what faction the community wants added:
http://forum.battlefleetgothic-armada.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1866

Please support either Tyranids or Craftworld Eldar - This game need a Battle for Iyanden-expansion :D
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
As a longtime reader of 40k books and having played tabletop, I'm pretty firm with the backround, so I know about the Astartes fleet, chapterserfs and so on^^
I was just wondering given they will likely get Battle Barges as BBs and strike cruisers, complemented by Gladuis, Hunters and Nova frigates... their rooster seems to be a little small :D

But Gloriana class BBs would be way too overpowered.

Why? just give them a high point value.

From what I've seen, the Gloriana would behave like a souped up Emperor battleship

In fact, the TT actually has a Gloriana battleship as a usable ship: the Vengeful Spirit (albeit it is a chaos vessel)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:00:54 pm by rubixcube »
Stuff

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
In fact, the TT actually has a Gloriana battleship as a usable ship: the Vengeful Spirit (albeit it is a chaos vessel)

Don't recall that ever being explicitly statted for Gothic. (In fact, I'm pretty sure the concept of the Gloriana as a class is younger than the last real updates to Gothic.)

The closest thing to a Gloriana that has been statted is likely Terminus Est. And even that's a poor approximation, as the Gloriana-class appears to be a significantly more "modern" Imperial-type design compared to the older ships usually found in the Chaos fleet.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

Don't recall that ever being explicitly statted for Gothic. (In fact, I'm pretty sure the concept of the Gloriana as a class is younger than the last real updates to Gothic.)

The closest thing to a Gloriana that has been statted is likely Terminus Est. And even that's a poor approximation, as the Gloriana-class appears to be a significantly more "modern" Imperial-type design compared to the older ships usually found in the Chaos fleet.

It was in the BFG [Rulebook] 2010 Compendium on page 111, it's worth 410 points (the conqueror is also there on page 113), there is however, no unique model for it, just a generic Despoiler model.
I'll attach some images of the pages if you wish to have a look

[attachment DELETED!! by Strong Bad]
Stuff

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Eldar have only a 6k range on most of their weapons, so you might hang on to stuff that is going to shoot them on the way in and the way out

Eldar have holofields in lieu of the typical void shields.  On the TT they force a right column shift in the gunnery tables for weapons batteries decreasing the number of dice you roll for your batteries.  However, with other weapons types such as ordinance and Lances, Eldar get to roll a D6 that nullify the damage on a 2 and above.   I don't know how Tindloss intends to implement them in the game but on the TT this renders Lance boats pretty ineffective.  I will probably be taking my Dominator, Tyrant and Carnages out to face them, at least initially.

Eldar in general have probably been pretty quirky to implement.  The aforementioned holofields, solar sails that dictate maneuver performance based on orientation to the sun, torps that get to reroll for hits, higher crit chance when they do get hit, etc.  Not to mention the default behavior for ships engaging in the frontal arc is pretty derpy.   Instead of doing something smart like making boom and zoom attacks they pretty much move up to range then sit and blap away(this is why I typically take Swords instead of Firestorms).  If the Devs don't improve that logic then I suspect we will need to micro the crap out of Eldar ships.

Offline 0rph3u5

Eldar in BFG:A will work quite a bit differently from the TT, if the closed beta testers are to be believed (they are cryptic about it but a few bits have risen to the surface) - But we all just have to be patient to see how it works out

(and please don't start another bellaching "The sun is setting on the Eldar empire"-discussion here ... I have done that so often and without playable Eldar Corsairs its really jumping-to-conclusions-squared-times-stupid-squared)

==================

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I don
(and please don't start another bellaching "The sun is setting on the Eldar empire"-discussion here ... I have done that so often and without playable Eldar Corsairs its really jumping-to-conclusions-squared-times-stupid-squared)

I don't know what this is so I probably won't.  Really the main obstacle I see is handling a fleet dedicated to prow weaponry with the current "stop and pew pew" behavior for ships set to frontal arc fire.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It was in the BFG [Rulebook] 2010 Compendium on page 111, it's worth 410 points (the conqueror is also there on page 113), there is however, no unique model for it, just a generic Despoiler model.

It also, like I suspected, doesn't refer to the ship as a Gloriana because the concept of the Gloriana didn't exist at the time, and the list of known Glorianas conspicuously doesn't match up to that of Chaos battle barges in several instances.

The two share a name but not a concept. They're probably not to be considered the same.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever

It also, like I suspected, doesn't refer to the ship as a Gloriana because the concept of the Gloriana didn't exist at the time, and the list of known Glorianas conspicuously doesn't match up to that of Chaos battle barges in several instances.

The two share a name but not a concept. They're probably not to be considered the same.
that's is probably true I suppose
Though that being said, I would love to see a gloriana in bfga
Stuff

Offline crizza

The Gloriana Class Battleships first appeared in the Horus Heresy books and colected vision.
Since BFG is older I suppose they still have that battlebarge concept.
In the books, there are still battlebarges but the Gloriana class are large scale command Battle Barges, around 20km each and are the biggest knowns imperial ships after the Phalanx and Furious Abyss-class vessels.
The Vengeful Spirit during the Horus Heresy and the Vengeful Spirit, flagship of Abbaddon the despoiler are in fact one and the same.
Vengeful Spirit aside, there is a second Gloriana confirmed to be around in 40k, the Conqueror.

Few days from now, my new GPU will arrive and then I can finally play this too :D

Offline 0rph3u5

I don

I don't know what this is so I probably won't.  Really the main obstacle I see is handling a fleet dedicated to prow weaponry with the current "stop and pew pew" behavior for ships set to frontal arc fire.

It's about arguing with people who think the TT game should be recreated to the letter (the wierdest discussion was based on the closed beta and how the Eldar Corsairs faction simulates Holofields not with the accuracy mechanic but with armour mechanic ... the person who started that one clearly had no idea about game development and/or engineering of any kind)

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

The "what's you favorite faction poll" spiked last night and Tau gained a considerable number of votes. And that after the Dev Account in the Forums issued a statement that the results of the poll were not binding. The moderators over there are now scrambling to figure out how legit those votes are.

The internet is a wonderful place.

==================

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
The "what's you favourite faction poll" spiked last night and Tau gained a considerable number of votes. And that after the Dev Account in the Forums issued a statement that the results of the poll were not binding. The moderators over there are now scrambling to figure out how legit those votes are.

Oh dear. Aren't the Tau on practically the opposite end of the galaxy to the Gothic Sector? :lol: Confess I'm a shameless fanboy for them but would be immensely surprised if they ever got put in officially.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline 0rph3u5

The "what's you favourite faction poll" spiked last night and Tau gained a considerable number of votes. And that after the Dev Account in the Forums issued a statement that the results of the poll were not binding. The moderators over there are now scrambling to figure out how legit those votes are.

Oh dear. Aren't the Tau on practically the opposite end of the galaxy to the Gothic Sector? :lol: Confess I'm a shameless fanboy for them but would be immensely surprised if they ever got put in officially.

Yup, but this isn't about SP

Eldar unlocked, still at work

==================

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Had my first battle with the longears. They play interestingly. Instead of void shields, they mount holofields, which absorb a portion of the damage received based on the speed with which you move. At maximum speed, they will absorb 80% of all incoming damage, and while Eldar ships suffer from having the Fragile modifier (meaning that enemies get a +100% increase on their crit chance), this means that you can tank a lot more than you think you can.

And that is completely necessary: The ships in the light Cruiser tier only mount forward-facing weaponry, meaning that you have to dart in and out of fights in order to get damage in.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Are you using Shift to chain maneuver orders?  The forward only arcs seemed to demand a considerable amount of micro considering the default prow attack logic was to roll up to the range, stop and derp away.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, I am. I am microing their movement as much as possible; luckily, Eldar have enough speed to actually disengage from a fight if necessary. They do not get the Imperial boost or fast turn or the Ork long boost, instead they have a short sharp speed burst on a very short cooldown.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns