Author Topic: Resolution issue on 5:4 aspect ratio monitors.  (Read 1508 times)

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Resolution issue on 5:4 aspect ratio monitors.
I currently have a 1280x1024 native, but on any builds after 3_8_0, the entire game- menus, loading screens, flight- Is highly zoomed-in and cropped. I would produce a screenshot but those are not working either. (pressing the screenshot key after 3_8_0 no longer does anything)

This happened on 3_8_0 final and 3_8_1_20171231_8cf0e8e (which dropped last night as of this posting) It did not occur on 3_7_5 or 3_7_4.

I tried changing the resolution in the launcher options, and several of the Debug flags, but setting the res to anything other then native just made the problem worse.

Tested two different monitors, both are 5:4. As I said the current one is 1280x1024, I can't remember what the other one was exactly, it may have been 4:3, but I no longer have it so I can't check.  :blah:

In all cases my system specs are an Intel Core i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz Processor with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 Video card.

Here is a Log file.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:28:51 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Resolution issue on 5:4 aspect ratio monitors.
Screenshots should also be in %appdata%/HardLightProductions/FreeSpaceOpen/screenshots

From your log:
Code: [Select]
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1920x1080 with 32-bit color...
Are you sure the resolution is set correctly?

I tried to run FSO at 1280x1024 and it seems to be looking normal:

Can you try setting/unsetting the "stretch interface to fill screen" flag (in the "Gameplay" section) and see if that makes things better for you?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
Are you sure the resolution is set correctly?

Huh, Windows, NVIDIA, and the Launcher all say 1280x1024. . .   I did some digging and made a Log with 3_7_5 and got this:
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1280x1024 with 32-bit color...

Then I ran 3_8_0 and again got:
Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 1920x1080 with 32-bit color...
Following though on a hypothesis, I ran it at 640x480 and (among some complaints) a 3_7_5 build outputted this:

Initializing OpenGL graphics device at 640x480 with 32-bit color...
but 3_8_0 STILL ran at 1920x1080 when I did this.
No matter what I set my res to (using the launcher), every 3_8_0 build I run is locked at 1920x1080. :wtf:

Conclusion: 3_8_0 builds are not registering changes made to the resolution. (at least for me)

If you want me to dump the full logs, just ask.

Regarding screenshots: I checked that filepath but got nothing, it's probably just a side affect of whatever this is.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:30:16 am by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Try starting the exe with the commandline parameter "-res 1280x1024". That should force the engine to use that resolution; it should suffice as a workaround for now.

Offline m!m

Also, is your wxLauncher version up to date? You can find the newest version here: https://github.com/scp-fs2open/wxLauncher/releases/tag/0.12.0-rc.2

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
Try starting the exe with the commandline parameter "-res 1280x1024". That should force the engine to use that resolution; it should suffice as a workaround for now.

That did it! Thanks!

Also, is your wxLauncher version up to date? You can find the newest version here: https://github.com/scp-fs2open/wxLauncher/releases/tag/0.12.0-rc.2

Actually, I'm still using the old 5.5g launcher, going to switch to Knossos soon.tm once I get some things in order.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
5.5g is somewhat incompatible with 3.8.0. It can't set the resolution, for example.