Author Topic: E3 2018 *Spoilers*  (Read 5709 times)

Anyone have thoughts on the conferences so far and what they've seen?

Of the three I thought the Xbox one was the best, they have the greatest variety and showed a few great-looking upcoming games.

EA was EA, lots of sports with a bit of whatever sprinkled in there.  Hard to hate it, but hard to get excited either.  Though the gamespot people I saw didn't seem to understand that the C&C game is not a C&C game but a Clash Royale competitor with C&C theming.

Bethesda is more disappointing each year, particularly as a single-player gamer.  Doom looks great but it was just a teaser.  A few trailers for SP games were shown, but the trailers showed less than **** (Possible SC competitor) and might as well not have had more than a verbal mention. And the new fallout game is some destiny-apeing multiplayer experience.  OH wait, Rage 2 looked great.  Damn show is so long I forgot about it, and I literally just finished watching it.

One thing I noticed overall is a much greater injection of women into the conferences and their games.  New Wolfenstein game and Gears 5 have female protagonists. BFV showcases women a lot more, much to the ire of youtube commenters, and any live-action game vid of course has at least half the gamers represented by women. It's a good change from booth babes and Elizabeth relegated to Bioshock Infinite's back cover, but it does seem a bit bandwagon-y.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:47:50 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
My current favourites:

Cyberpunk 2077 because OF COURSE:

Anthem, because a) No pvp multiplayer at launch and b) I want a Destiny in my life and since Destiny isn't that good at being Destiny, I kinda want to see what a post-BF1 lootcrate disaster Bioware can do with that formula:

Ace Combat 7 because it's ****ing Ace Combat in Strangereal:
<Video not yet posted>
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
My two cents:

1) Metal Wolf Chaos XD - While the tag line ("Mech America Great Again") might have been a lot funnier when From Software and Develover Digital probably made the deal (i.e. before 2016 US presidental election; but then again Develover Digital has made a brand of full frontal irreverence) but so much "I want this"... It might be carthartic to revel in the pulpy OTT version 'murciana japanese developers cooked up...

2) Cyberpunkt 2077 - "I would like to return your protagonist, please"; I don't know much about the Cyberpunkt-RPG liscence CD Project RED is using but to me one of the most interesting components of Cyberpunk, as a genre, is how augments/cyberspace-"stuff" allow you to get away with physical feats and intimidation without having to rely too much on conventional definitions of "powerful" or "imposing" physique ... but then we will have to wait and see, considering the inital announcement contained the promise of customizing your way to play, including sufrace level non-combatant starter kits...

3) Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Why is the set-up so familiar? Not in the sense that "yeah, its a new entry into the Soulsborne-subgenre from From Software" but I think I heard that exact set-up before (like it is an adaptation of something)

4) Sea of Solitude - Looks very promising...

5) Anthem - It's nice to see more of the world and set-up though nothing in the gameplay actually capitvates me - partly because how non-commital the whole approach to the Kit is (I like a bit of commitment to my bit in RPG) and because all of classes (and the combo-system ported over from Dragon Age) incooperate some of my buff or debuff-slinging gameplay preference, while non being a Full Support I would crave to play as after Destiny.

6) Fallout 76 - (Disclaimer: Not a Bethesda-fan) *the rant previously located here was cut because it was besides the point* Well, Fallout 4 set the stage for a Fallout-survival game... here it is - trailer is nice though *the sarcastic attack which previously occupied this space was removed because it didn't add anything to any possible discussion*

7) Life is Strange 2-prequel - It's going to be free and a test for if continuing on with LiS is good idea. (Before the Storm might have been excellent addition (if not outright better) but there is virtue calling something complete).

EA was the "we listen"-converence of this year's E3 ... It was always a toss-up between Microsoft and EA which one would be the more awkward one, between SW: Battelfront 2 and all moves Microsoft seems to be making to save the Xbox One (e.g. all the Gears of War)

ps. Battlefield V looks so wierd from my point of view, when you consider that I was almost part of that development as a consultant...

EDIT:
One thing I noticed overall is a much greater injection of women into the conferences and their games.  New Wolfenstein game and Gears 5 have female protagonists. BFV showcases women a lot more, much to the ire of youtube commenters, and any live-action game vid of course has at least half the gamers represented by women. It's a good change from booth babes and Elizabeth relegated to Bioshock Infinite's back cover, but it does seem a bit bandwagon-y.

The gaming industry has had historically a much larger female workforce than most people are aware ... which in part has something to do with the focus of the games press on the team leads/producers as more than public spokepersons, a hint of the western cultural prejudice towards the "solitary creative genius" and a pinch of marketing to a "core audience". Especially the last part is showing that it is past its half life in the marketing research (e.g. shifting definition of Play in the culture generally is shifting the gendered aspect of Play, e.g. which kinds of toys are approriate for girls/boys/non-binary children etc etc)...

... but the push might have hit the E3 harder than any other trade-show, mostly because it is the biggest press conference plattform all year AND located in the US.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:06:56 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Oh yeah, Sea of Solitude is definitely my winner for the most promising non-franchise title so far.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I personally am glad they're doing an online Fallout. The maps always seemed empty of life to me and hopefully they'll do something more like GW2 that has events running throughout the day with or without player intervention instead of a bunch of NPCs standing around waiting for someone to do something.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I too am looking forward to enjoy a carefully crafted Fallout experience with cool characters like _xXx_pussyripper420_xXx in it. Really fits the universe, that.

EA was the "we listen"-converence of this year's E3 ... It was always a toss-up between Microsoft and EA which one would be the more awkward one, between SW: Battelfront 2 and all moves Microsoft seems to be making to save the Xbox One (e.g. all the Gears of War)

What do you mean "all the Gears of War"? Gears 5 is totally expected addition to the franchise.

What was interesting is that they bought a whole bunch of studios this year. Ninja Theory? One of my fav devs is now microsoft? Hopefully they don't get screwed up or something and keep delivering phenomenal experiences like Hellblade.  Still need to play Heavenly Sword and DMC from them.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I too am looking forward to enjoy a carefully crafted Fallout experience with cool characters like _xXx_pussyripper420_xXx in it. Really fits the universe, that.

Couldn't you name yourself something similar and run around in an evening dress and hammer hitting super mutants in the junk?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Fallout, to me, is a story about yourself. If you decide to run around in a tutu murdering everyone, that's your decision, your will inflicted on the world. Introducing other jackasses like you into that world breaks it, IMHO; it's no longer a Fallout game. Fallouts, to me, are single-player experiences with well-crafted, sometimes even highly reactive stories, and it is incredibly hard to do those in a multiplayer game.

Fallout, to me, is a story about yourself. If you decide to run around in a tutu murdering everyone, that's your decision, your will inflicted on the world. Introducing other jackasses like you into that world breaks it, IMHO; it's no longer a Fallout game. Fallouts, to me, are single-player experiences with well-crafted, sometimes even highly reactive stories, and it is incredibly hard to do those in a multiplayer game.

Also no VATs, a very green looking wasteland, what seems like no story conclusion but a perpetual world that will be online for "years to come" seems like it's basically Rust or some other survival game with Fallout theming.  Hate this online **** that everyone's moving towards, I want to play games and finish them, not subscribe to them for years on end.

Seems I missed a conference yesterday too, Devolve? Too much **** to watch.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I'm still cleaning up from my reaction to the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer.

Also hype for Doom Eternal.

Those are the two big ones so far.

Offline 0rph3u5

First, a correction to my opinion on Cyberpunkt 2077: Custmizable characters are still being teased, so ... less concerned now.

What do you mean "all the Gears of War"? Gears 5 is totally expected addition to the franchise.

1. Gears of War 5
2. Gears of War: Tactics (aka Gears of War meets X-Com)
3. "that Gears of War-FunkoPop! mobile game"

*so much vitriol to direct at Bethesda's run with Fallout, still so unhelpful*
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

First, a correction to my opinion on Cyberpunkt 2077: Custmizable characters are still being teased, so ... less concerned now.

1. Gears of War 5
2. Gears of War: Tactics (aka Gears of War meets X-Com)
3. "that Gears of War-FunkoPop! mobile game"

I didn't see that tactics trailer at all. Maybe the gamespot vid I was watching cut it out? I didn't watch it live. Weird.
I saw the FunkoPop but thought that was just advertising toys.

Anyway- tactics seems fine to me. Halo has Halo Wars and Spartan Assault, would make sense for a Gears game in another genre.  FFG already has a turn-based Gears boardgame as well.

*so much vitriol to direct at Bethesda's run with Fallout, still so unhelpful*

Everyone is jumping on the multiplayer online bandwagon. Not sure if this is closer to Rust or like an Anthem/Destiny.  Doesn't seem like you can play it alone though without other players on the map. Haven't played FO4 yet so- I'm not too pissed but also not an iota interested.  Rage 2 is probably the game that looks the most interesting to play from the conference, looks a bit like Bulletstorm meets doom & mad max.

Offline 0rph3u5

Just done with Square Enix... some interesting stuff...

1) Lara Croft and the Temple of Doom ;)

2) Babylon's Fall looks cool but I wish there was more substance, Plantinum has been hit-or-miss for me

3) Octopath Traveler ... If a Switch didn't mean 2/3s of an entire month's worth of rent and utilities, I would be so pumped...

Everyone is jumping on the multiplayer online bandwagon. Not sure if this is closer to Rust or like an Anthem/Destiny.  Doesn't seem like you can play it alone though without other players on the map. Haven't played FO4 yet so- I'm not too pissed but also not an iota interested. 

To be fair, my beef with Bethesda's take on Fallout is not mainly about gameplay... Despite the player freedome in Fallouts 1, 2 & New Vegas there is a (maybe two) thematic throughline to original creators' vision that Bethesda seems to be completely deaf to. But considering how these discussions tend to go (poorly), I shall hold my piece for another time and place. PM me if you want me to post the short version in its own topic.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:45:57 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

Offline 0rph3u5

Currently watching the after-action segments on Ubisoft, before watching the whole thing tomorrow...

1) Beyond Good and Evil 2 - Where did they get the footage from Guardians of the Galaxy 3? /kiding. Sorry, no gameplay here but I approve of using a planet's rings as visual analogue to drift ice. (+1 for ice being one of most beautifuly materials known to mankind)

2) Assasin's Creed: Odyssey - I've been out of love with Assasin's Creed for a while now (actually since Edward Kenway failed to capture my attention like Ezio Auditore, sea chanties or no), but this looks like a point where I might re-enter... mostly because I recently researched the Peloponnesian War as inspiration for a FS2 campaign and I am intrigued how the AC team deals with the problems on sourcing the history (Thucydides doesn't deserve a break, no matter his reputation)
(I wonder when the first inapproriate Lysistrata-joke is going to drop... anyone who frequents reddit got an ear on that?)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:35:15 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================

This thing from Square Enix and Platinum Games. What is it? Who knows! But Squeenix x Platinum gave us Nier: Automata, so I'm interested.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Cyberpunk looked great. But when the hell is it coming!
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

The release date is right there in the title.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm not waiting until 2077. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

One of screens had during the press converence had a secret blink-or-miss statement in it:

Quote from: secret message from the press converence
When? When we told you we would only release the game when it's ready, we meant it. We're definitely much, much closer to a release date than when we were back then :), but it's still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us - it's the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

==================