Author Topic: SH Gargant?  (Read 138660 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You guys (all of you), stop trying to pass off wild speculation as fact.

And Akalabeth Angel, you should save that idea.  Maybe we should make a write-only forum where all the disused campaign ideas can go. :)

Why don't the community members just email Volition if they have questions about Shivans and stuff? Should I try to email them?

I think dozens of people already have, assuming that anyone still remains, and assuming that anyone who remains still remembers.

Why don't the community members just email Volition if they have questions about Shivans and stuff? Should I try to email them?

I believe people did exactly that years ago. All they got out of :v: was "Think of the Shivans as a symptom of a much bigger problem." (Paraphrased)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Ok, the problem with emailing them is this:

"Hey look, another email from some fan who expects us to tell them something we have refused to tell everyone else who has asked us!  :rolleyes: "

--Random guy from :v:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I highly, highly doubt that anyone at :v: would be able to tell you anything along those lines...mainly because that information never existed to begin with.  There was never any sort of development process that had started for a third game; beyond the vaguest idea of what sorts of mechanics they might have wanted to include, no one would have come up with any concrete details for a continued storyline in the first place.  This mythical "FS3 plot locker" that some people seem to think exists at :v:'s office simply doesn't.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
it couldn't hurt if Derik made a FS3

Ok,

a) it's Derek, not Derik...

b) you don't pronounce it "ffffffffssssssssssssssssthree", you pronounce it "effff esss threee", so you say "an FS3", not "a FS3", and anyway you don't really even need an article, just say "FS3"

c) The problem with Derek Smart making FS3 isn't that it wouldn't have the originally planned story, it's that, as Derek Smart himself said, the gameplay would be nothing like FreeSpace; it was pretty much going to be a free-roaming game with afaik no missions, probably minimal plot, etc., basically a pile of crap.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

And Akalabeth Angel, you should save that idea.  Maybe we should make a write-only forum where all the disused campaign ideas can go. :)

Call it the Junkyard Nebula Debris Field if you want to. ;)
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

Call it the Junkyard Nebula Debris Field if you want to. ;)

What about specific release subforums in "Missions and Campaigns" and "FreeSpace Modding"?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
it couldn't hurt if Derik made a FS3

b) you don't pronounce it "ffffffffssssssssssssssssthree", you pronounce it "effff esss threee", so you say "an FS3", not "a FS3", and anyway you don't really even need an article, just say "FS3"

No, I pronounce FS3 like Freespace 3. So when I see the letters FS3, I always imagine I'm reading it as Freespace 3. Now does that make sense that I say a FS3 or you still don't get what I mean? A FS3 = A Freespace 3. Man, you are so picky like many on the forum. Maybe if you knew why I said that, you would have understood in the first place. Now you should be able to understand.

Whatever. Does this mean you agree with everything else (particularly part C)?

does Derik Smart still plan to make a FS3?

Shall i prepare the ritualistic forum burial for you now or later?

Thou hast uttered a word that shalt not  be spoken here.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Actually, he said three unspeakable words. Good thing he misspelled Derek.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Droid803

Can't people take a joke?
(´・ω・`)

Well, to be fair, High Max, whenever anybody mentions "Derek Smart" and "FS3" in the same sentence it's usually to make fun of the idea. Naturally they thought to make some jokes on the subject as well.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

If Volition keeps getting emailed about this, how do you know an employee won't just make something up on the spot to explain it?

I remember hearing that during the running of the original Star Trek TV series, people kept calling the producers and asking what Mr. Spock's first name was, (the only clue was that in one episode he said it was unpronounceable to humans). So an employee finally got tired of it and told them it was some huge long ridiculous word he just made from typing random keys on his typewriter, and for a long time people actually believed it.
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Well, to be fair, High Max, whenever anybody mentions "Derek Smart" and "FS3" in the same sentence it's usually to make fun of the idea. Naturally they thought to make some jokes on the subject as well.

To be fair, Dark Hunter, whenever someone mentions Derek Smart or FS3 and isn't joking then 10 other people jump on him either telling him to effectively shutup, or start making jokes of their own. It's like to the forums have come to a point where people can't have meaningful discussions about these things without at least one or five people putting in their two bits why FS3 or Derek Smart is a bad idea.

Offline Droid803

To be fair, Dark Hunter, whenever someone mentions Derek Smart or FS3 and isn't joking then 10 other people jump on him either telling him to effectively shutup, or start making jokes of their own. It's like to the forums have come to a point where people can't have meaningful discussions about these things without at least one or five people putting in their two bits why FS3 or Derek Smart is a bad idea.

Possibly because it has been discussed to death already...
And nothing that's said will change anything?
(´・ω・`)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Hooray, you've inspired me to make a topic in General FreeSpace Discussion (topic title starts with "Aardwolf Waxes Poetic")

Possibly because it has been discussed to death already...
And nothing that's said will change anything?

"What's your favourite fighter?" (and any variation thereof)
     "What's your favourite campaign?"
      "Too much Freespace"

Have both been discussed to death as well. You don't see people jumping all over the initial poster whenever it comes up. Not to mention the fact that just because you were around when it was discussed the last time, doesn't mean that X or Y person was around or took any notice. New people are coming back all the time. Let them talk about what they will, I would rather see a post about Derek Smart or Freespace 3 than the multitude of posts where some idiot just says " :nod:" or uses some other smilie, or their entire post is nothing but a quote of someone else's post, or something like "QFT". At least posts or replies about FS3 or DS have the potential to be interesting.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I seem to be getting flamed for the thread I posted in General FreeSpace Discussion...

Offline eliex