Author Topic: Bonehead maneuver  (Read 3638 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Folks,
I need to FRED a bonehead maneuver  :mad:... and this thing kills me  :mad:...
 why? you'll see soon enoug

jump points and stuff are working fine so far... but the explosion of the JG is a problem

first I used the Supernova sexp but since the sun is on the opposite side of the jump gate it looks pretty stupid when the showave moves towards the gate  :mad:
second try was a explosion placed by a sexp...a) explosion radius is set to 1100 (radius of JG) but there is no explosion to be see at all... b) the shockwave can't be seen at least I did not see it when playtesting... c) 1.000.000 damage for 60.000 raduis but the Aurora you're flying (which was near the center of the jumpgate) survives with 1% hull when everything else goes down in the radius  :mad: :mad:

can someone help me out here?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
This is probably not very efficient way but how about creating a table entry for explosive crate - easy if you are using builds that have XMT support - (some basic container/waypoint whatever) that has shockwave damages, speeds, names etc. the works defined. then making it stealthed, non-collideable, non-visible and in the grand finale destroying it and the jump gate via sexps.

As said this is most likely not the best way to do such an effect but it might work pretty well.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
    • The Babylon Project website
There was a sort of bonehead maneuver effect on Raider Wars mission 9 named 'Slipping the Noose'. Filename rw09 - stn.fs2.

If you fail the mission and let the Gibraltar hit the jumpgate, you see a EMP effect coming on after which jumpgate explodes and kills everything in the mission area.

Sexp for EMP effect on rw09:
Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( explosion-effect
)

And for the hollywood bang effect:
Code: [Select]
$Formula: ( explosion-effect
)

Keep in mind that the hollywood bang explosion effects area inside 30 km. So you have to change the radius for the explosion.

And for some reason the effect doesn't always work the way it is intended.
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
second try was a explosion placed by a sexp...a) explosion radius is set to 1100 (radius of JG) but there is no explosion to be see at all... b) the shockwave can't be seen at least I did not see it when playtesting... c) 1.000.000 damage for 60.000 raduis but the Aurora you're flying (which was near the center of the jumpgate) survives with 1% hull when everything else goes down in the radius  :mad: :mad:

can someone help me out here?

Sounds like something has set Alpha 1 to be ship-guardianed to me.

I've got no idea why you didn't see the explosion but using explosion-effect as above should work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

2 Big Sorrys:
1. I mixed up some arguments.... so the explosion type was set to 15 while the shockwave speed was 2 (since there is no explosion type 15 in the tables it was not shown) - corected that... now there is a giant explosion in the middle of the JG but still no noticable shockwave (except the ones for the Gate's arms and the Omega in front of it) :mad:
2. I forgort that this had been a playtest and during Tests the guy who did the last steps of the mission always sets ship-guarding onto the players craft (to ensure that the testers survive the mission)

I too though of the explosision from RW but this was no ture bonehead maneuver... but I think the difference from blowing the gate conventionally and with the power of two jump points is minimal
I will see want I can do with it...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
1. I mixed up some arguments.... so the explosion type was set to 15 while the shockwave speed was 2 (since there is no explosion type 15 in the tables it was not shown) - corected that... now there is a giant explosion in the middle of the JG but still no noticable shockwave (except the ones for the Gate's arms and the Omega in front of it) :mad:

Shockwaves have two components. The speed and the blast. Have you remembered to set the blast to something noticable? The first one in darkblade's post does not have a blast set which means you'll see the shockwave but you won't feel it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

:cool: :cool:
yeah!!! it works now
1.000.000 damage points wiping away everything in their path...  and a great shockwave accompaning them :nod: :nod:

the only thing that is missing now would be a cool 3d shockwave but that's a matter for the SCP guys

==================

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
the only thing that is missing now would be a cool 3d shockwave but that's a matter for the SCP guys

Have patience.  :nervous:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!