Author Topic: TBP on Linux/MacOSX  (Read 254095 times)

Offline Nordwin

Hm, well, I have a question about the Linux builds:
How do I run an INF build with it? because I only have one executable. And another question: how can I tell TBP to use a mod directory.. because, for obvious reasons, I don't want to have to install every mission and campaign into the main folder.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Well let's take the second part first since it's easy.  Simply make a shortcut or whatever your they are called and add -mod <directory> to it.  For multiple mods just put a comma between the directories.  http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Command-Line_Reference#-mod

The other part is a bit more difficult since I'm not familiar with the OS.  I'll have to do some research on that one but if you have a 3.6.9 or 3.6.10 Inferno exe give it a try.  You can always compile it yourself if you have the means.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You'll have to find someone to compile an Inferno build for you or compile it yourself. You need to add INF_BUILD to the preprocessor flags in order to make it build in the Inferno changes.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline antz

Hi,

I'm trying to install the OSX version of TBP, and am following Tinman's instructions from earlier in this thread.... I've downloaded the core VP archives from the freespacemods mirror, but I can't get access the MacOS X TBP build using the link in Tinman's signature (I've been trying for a few days, given that "due to high traffic the links for WCS and TBP will not work until 2009-01-01").  Anyone know when/if the download will become available again, or if there's anywhere else I can get the application from?

Thanks,

Antz.

just grab the latest FressSpace SCP nightly build for OS X and drop a copy of it in your Babylon Project folder and double click. That should do it.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,173.0.html

Somewhere in the data folder is a file you can edit that has the command line options for TBP (i think thats where it is - but I'm not at home and TBP is there on my external HD) in case you need to edit it. Don't remember if i had to, or just did to reduce the ambient brightness.
Macbook Pro 2.4GHz, 4GB, OS X 10.5
http://arvidtp.net

Offline Nordwin

well, I am gonna try adding it to my softlink (that's what it's called here)...

for the INF build, I think I'll have to compile it myself.. but with gcc it shouldn't be too hard to do..... i hope :D

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
I'm sorry, the links are dead for now. I'm looking for an alternate place to put the builds up.

However, since the graphic issues are quite well resolved, I will u/l a recent build for TBP and WCS as soon as the changes are committed to SVN.

Until then, Echelon9s rosebay-build is best to use at this time  :D

Edit: 2009-01-03 the recent 3.6.10 (rev5028) build for MacOS X is now available

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
If you want you can email me a copy of the 3.6.9 ones for TBP and I'll upload them to my server. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Tinman

I don't have the Mac OS X codebase with the updated PBO crash fix(20080620) from taylor, and the "normal" final SVN codebase 3.6.9 has this PBO fix not included. So I don't like to share an 3.6.9 build for standalone mods with this issue when I cannot resolve it. 

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I don't have the Mac OS X codebase with the updated PBO crash fix(20080620) from taylor, and the "normal" final SVN codebase 3.6.9 has this PBO fix not included. So I don't like to share an 3.6.9 build for standalone mods with this issue when I cannot resolve it. 
The quick fix for the PBO problem is to just comment out the line that says "Use_PBOs = 1;".  I can't remember where it is off the top of my head, and it's in a different place in the current code base, but it should be in gropengl.cpp in the init function near the bottom of the file.

Offline Tinman

I try to get a 3.6.9 build ready for TBP - in the meanwhile the recent TBP 3.6.10 build is available (that TBP link in my sig now works)

Edit: The TBP 3.6.9 build is now available (thanks taylor). Yo can use both. On most PPC Macs the 3.6.9 will work well, AFAIR MBP with ATIX1600 may run into graphics mismatch. If so I recommend the 3.6.10 build.

The difference to the "normal" fs2_open builds is just that with TBP builds the prefs and pilot files are in its own folder  "[your home folder]/Library/TheBabylonProject/.." so you won't get into trouble mixing fs2 and TBP pilot files or command-line settings.

Offline antz

Thank you all for your help.... I've just fired up the game and it looks great!! 

Offline Tinman

for all Mac users I compiled an inferno build so you can hopefully play this nice TBP  Guardian Of Light DEMO 2 (INFERNO build required)

to download use the link in my sig (right button "save as...")
Extract the archive. (use 7zX http://sixtyfive.xmghosting.com/ to extract the archive)
Copy the "TheBabylonProject 3.6.10 INF" application to the "The Babylon Project" folder and you're ready to go.

Offline Nordwin

Hey guys. after several months without a computer fit for TBP or anything comparable, I now have one again.
But I got a problem: I thought I copied all files from my TBP folder from my old computer to the new one, but obviously I messed up somewhere along the way. Anyway, long story short: I don't have all the files needed for TBP anymore.
Now the problem is, that I don't have a Windows computer at hand to reinstall it and copy the files again, so:
Is there any way to get all files on a purely Linux system? Maybe extracting them from the TBP DVD?

Or is the only way to find someone running Windows, asking them to install it and copy the files to a Flash Drive?

Thanks in advance, guys,

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Which files are you missing?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
yip extract them and side them across, do you know what you need exactly.... or do you need a screen shot of a TBP folder?
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk

Offline Nordwin

hm,  not good.......
I extracted those cab's, but I didn't create any folders... so I now have all the files together in one folder....

I'll try FUBARs way, if that doesn't work I'm just gonna ask a friend of mine to save me the trouble and install it on his windows machine. If I can't make it to TBP Multiplayer time tonight (which I, if FUBAR's link doesn't save me, won't), I might as well wait a week.

So, thank you, guys!

Offline Nordwin

OK, now I have TBP again... and it even starts up. But as soon as I click on "Continue" (after selecting a campaign), TBP crashes and I have the following output in the bash:

cholme@chris-laptop:~$ ./fs2_open
open /dev/[sound/]dsp: Device or resource busy
(null): "DirectSound could not be initialized.  If you are running any applications playing sound in the background, you should stop them before continuing."
ERROR: "Could not load exp04 anim file" at fireball/fireballs.cpp:697

Everything up to the ERROR-message takes place before TBP actually starts. it looks like it has something to do with the sound, but since that's not my number one priority, I won't look into it until the rest works...

Now, the error that crashes the game is an interesting one.. because I can't really see what could be the cause of it... do you know what might be the problem?