Poll

Is The Babylon Project games better than Babylon 5, I've found her?

Yes
7 (36.8%)
No
0 (0%)
Like Both
7 (36.8%)
Don't care
5 (26.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: December 10, 2006, 11:32:47 am

Author Topic: B5 games  (Read 8269 times)

I've played both games and I found that the Babylon Project is better by far.
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I haven't played IFH's second release yet so it would be somewhat unfair to comment.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
I have played both and each is good in different way. IFH is hardcore space sim, very realistic due to newtonian physics and have good controls if u got used to them, u have to think to hit your target. TBP is easier to play and have better graphics if u tweak it, but Space dream factory is working on new engine that could cancel that. Its up to you what you like better. For relax - TBP, for hardcore space sim - IFH
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Yes, i like both.

IFH has more Babylon 5 Feeling because of it's physics and controls.
But TBP is good, too. Because of better graphics and you can relative easy create complete new missions for it and it's easier to play and you don't have to follow a one hour tutorial ;)
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

I agree with you guys, IFH has a more space sim feel than TBP, but TBP has a broader storyline than IFH. By the way, Theres only one release for IFH, right?
We Live for the One
We DIE for the One

Offline starfox

Both are great in their own unique way, as described above, IFH for hardcore simulation, and TBP for more relaxing arcade experience.
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
I think the babylon project is way better  :p
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
navigating hyperspace is nightmarish in i found her
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I had the most fun in IFH playing around with my Starfury around Io transfer station. The physics are a blast, and I love the challenge of hyperspace navigation.
What I've found lacking is the combat part. Fighter combat always comes down to circle strafing the hell out of each other, it gets boring for me very quickly.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
You should have asked me for some BHX movie footage before posting this :P. The truth is I like the idea of IFH. It has a lot going for it. At the end of the gay though it's just not as much fun to play as TBP when I can fire up TBP and see spectacular battles with a hundred plus ships duking it out. So i guess which you prefer depends on what you're looking for in a game. IFH is good though. Takes me back to the days of playing Warhead. Another very good underrated game.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 05:17:57 am by IPAndrews »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
At the end of the gay...

Which end, may I ask? :p

Anyway, the games aren't directly comparable IMHO.TBP, being based on FS2, scores on overall gaming experience, but a hardcore realism freak would definitely enjoy B5:IFH way more, what with not having to be plagued by WW2 combat mode.

Also, it's very possible to dogfight successfully in IFH once you get used to it, as was said. It's completely different game in fundamental principles compared to FS2, and I like both in a very different way.

What was worst in IFH used to be an annoying bug that made the game run slower or faster, because the game didn't support dynamic CPU clock speeds. Thus, when the game started, it registered CPU's idle clocking speed as max speed, and when the CPU clocked up, it caused the game to run faster. I suppose it is, or it will be fixed, but I haven't had time to DL/install the latest IFH release(s).
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Yes funny typo.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 07:04:42 am by IPAndrews »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Anway what I want ideally is both. Something with IFH's physics and TBP's action. I was hoping the Sierra game would be all that.

Hello, i hate to be the intruding n00b but...

how/where can i get the B5: IFH game?

Im a loyal fan of Babylon 5, have been since it first aired on TV. the only game before i knew about this FS2 mod was a time-waster "try-to-zap-the-shadow-in-your-starfury" game that was about 2 MBs.

Thank you for your time

JCM_TexasRedNeck - Forum N00b 

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Fury voted Don't Care.

After some heavy drink and stuff TBP is allot easier to play the IFH.  Or maybe it is just me.   One thing I like about IFH is the jumppoint effect, but fighting in IFH ends up like bullfighting game just head to head ramming. 

thx, its much appreciated

-Tex

All I can say is, Minbari Nials kicked my a#@ to h@^ before I even shot a single shot at them in IFH. Now that is demoralizing! If that is how it would really be like if I was in B5. I would have died in my first E-M War mission  :rolleyes:!

Graphic wise, I'm not exactly sure which one takes the cake although I DID like the booster effects in IFH. The way a Starfury boosts the necessary engines to rotate and stuff. I found it cool and I often find myself going into third person to admire the boosters and play in 0-G. On a term of scale, TBP gets it because I never got to enter any cap ship fights (although fighter melees in IFH were quite interesting). I'm feeling drowsy now so I think I'll stop.
I have created a masterpiece.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Also its a pity IFH lacks mission/campaign editor like FRED and moddability. Thats one of the main reasons I also prefer TBP at the end of the day.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.