General FreeSpace > FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support

Launcher and FS2_open crash at startup under XP

(1/1)

kRogue:
I've got FS2_open to work just fine in Linux, but I also wanted to get it to work under XP.... as of now I have all the files from the installer downloaded to my freespace2 install directory (i.e. launcher, .exes, .vp) when I start the launcher, the launcher crashes with the "would you like to send this crash info to MS box".. if I startup up fs2_open directly, the log complains about seg-faulting in openal.dll... on the other hand, from Linux I have symbolic links set to the .vps, etc and fs2_open works just fine (pretty effects sound, movies, sound).. so it is safe to assume the placement of the files is ok, but under XP (SP2) fs2_open just dies... anyone have an idea why the launcher is not even starting up?

Best Regards

kRogue:
 :D

updating the openal dll's fixed both the launcher and the game crashing at startup... I guess the launcher tried to access the openAL32.dll too...

karajorma:
The XP launcher should have been popping up a warning saying that it couldn't find OpenAL but I guess you must have had v1.0 installed and confused it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version