Author Topic: About TBP's availability  (Read 5590 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
About TBP's availability
As someone already knows I've recently realized how many members of the community(including myself) can't DL TBP releases. We know we're missing a recommendable TC and, in fact, we'd like to solve our problem.

TBP downloads are too big and unsafe for people who have slow connections to get. I've personally attempted to DL TBP 4 or so times in the past two and a half years with no avail. Star Downloader didn't help, Firefox's DL bar didn't help, etc. etc.

IMHO dividing the TC in multiple parts should solve the problem. If the package is already divided we'd like to get the links to these alternate downloads. I think many small parts that don't exceed 100mbs in dimensions should work.

:)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: About TBP's availability
There are several locations with the file spit into 100 meg parts.  All are available on the DVD download page as well as links to them in the download section of the webpage.  You also have the option of getting it via torrent. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Really? Where...? I've just checked... :(

Oh, torrents aren't recommendable for internet users like me. I've neved had problems with INFA's Release Candidates, though...Woomeister divided the package in four 100mbs big files(the fourth one probably was of 50mbs, only) to be DLed separately and then extracted&merged at the same time with 7. A similar system should work with TBP. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,56246.0.html

Where it says downloads provided by Hip 19 parts or something close to that.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
You mean those? Oh, I've tried them before...

Both FileFront and MediaFire aren't compatible with safe programs like StarDownloader force me to restart the DL in case of temporary death of the connection. With files that near 100mbs it's impossible for me to DL them without problems...I oftentimes have to reconnect due to various problems.

As for Rapidshare, people who have a connection similar to the one I have simply can't use it. It happened before...the site itself reports that my connection doesn't allow me to start DL files from there.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I'm working on a solution.  Will 25 meg files do?

Where can you download from with success?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:56:42 pm by FUBAR-BDHR »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6d215367928bfcf9d2db6fb9a8902bda

Broken down into 20 meg files.  About 30 are ready for download the rest are still uploading.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
FUB did it again  :eek2:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
20mbs is a bit more reasonable but still hard.

The problem about those sites is the link to the DL. When I try to copy the URL and use StarDownloader I don't get the file - I get the pic displaying "Download", "Download it from here" and such...in order to work, SDler needs pure URL and not good looking DL "buttons".
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Get broadband.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
It's not easy.

Forgive my ignorance in terms of site administration, but can the files be hosted on HLP like the WIP INFA RC?

(on a side note, please remember that Mobius isn't the only one experiencing this kind of problems)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
(on a side note, please remember that Mobius isn't the only one experiencing this kind of problems)[/mobius]

IPAndrews understands.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I am more like "Please solve our problem"(reference to the others) and not "Please solve my problem". I'm generalizing and I'm not asking for direct ad personam solutions. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
A good general solution would be to get broadband. Then your internet connection will be generally faster and your life generally less troublesome. I mean what is it 1980? Are you dialing up one one of those modems where you remove the handset and place it on a microphone and a speaker? You're Matthew Broderick from Wargames aren't you. Admit it. I challenge you to a game of Tic Tac Toe.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
If you can tell me a hosting site that allows direct downloads via url and is free I'll be glad to upload them there. 

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
If you can tell me a hosting site that allows direct downloads via url and is free I'll be glad to upload them there. 

I'm glad you're moderating now :).

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
now that's what I call an egoistic point of view :rolleyes:

FUB, you could ask Primus and his Proxima Fleet files. It allows direct download. However, you better ask him if you can dump 20 bits of TBP DVD on the server  :)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
A good general solution would be to get broadband. Then your internet connection will be generally faster and your life generally less troublesome. I mean what is it 1980? Are you dialing up one one of those modems where you remove the handset and place it on a microphone and a speaker? You're Matthew Broderick from Wargames aren't you. Admit it. I challenge you to a game of Tic Tac Toe.

I use a mobile phone connected to the computer via USB. The connection is damn slow.

As I said I'd like to get the problem solved in a more generalized way. I might get broadband, ok, but how can you expect the others to get it as well? I don't think it's possible to pretend... ;)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
DW-Hunter is looking for ways to use his bandwidth now that the retail files have been ripped out of the installer. I told him to get in contact with you. Did he get distracted by something shiny again? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
He can contact Snail or ShadowGorrath, they're among the few who have similar problems. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon