Author Topic: help with Operation Black Sun  (Read 3916 times)

Offline darkmax

help with Operation Black Sun
Hi all. First aof all I would liek to give the the people who made this game possible, yes including the original FreeSpace people, my sincerest appreciation.

Now. I was playing the phase 2 of Operation Black Sun, when I ran into a unexplained problem. I had disable and disarmed the Volchon and rid us of the Primus. When the EAS capital ship flew ion, it appeared as 0% hull integrity and from that point on the game will not progressed.

Please advise me on how to proceed.

BTW, Merry Christmas

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: help with Operation Black Sun
When/where did you get the file from?  I remember there being a problem with the special hits at some point but I thought it was fixed. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
yes, the current version seems to work properly (Single and Multi). Try downloading and replacing with this:
http://proxima-fleet.com/files/download.php?id=19
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline darkmax

thanks for the link. I'll try to replace it now. the file I had came from the DVD version which I downloaded, however I cannot remember which server it was. I just know it was in 19-20 rar parts.

Offline Vidmaster

DVD version is enough, since that tells me that your copy of Operations is outdated.

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline darkmax

Thanks Vidmaster. Is there links to the latest versions of all the missions and the game core itself? I have been experiencing random blacking of my screen just when the game starts (after briefing). Only when I move the mouse does it actually show some image but as soon as I stop it turns black.

Anyway, the issue is two fold, I was also stuck in a single forward position, unable to move.

Frustrating.

Offline Vidmaster

well, all links in the post your campaign download link here always point to the newest stuff.
Still, Operations asside, the DVD should be up to date. (maybe FortuneHunters had an update, not sure :wtf:).

The problem you describe is probably related to your video card drivers. I hand over to FUBAR, he's more into those things.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
3.4b was the final version.  There are links to the current versions of the campaigns stickied in this forum and available on the webpage.  You can try a newer 3.6.10 exe but note that it is not supported and there are no guarantees that you won't experience other problems. 

Was posting at the same time as Vid and he's right make sure your video drivers are up to date. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline darkmax

Thanks Vidmaster. In that case, I should not need any more updates.

FUBAR, I have some beta nvidia driver that is not yet signed by MS, but works fine. They are absolutely the latest though.  I was wondering lowering the resolution would do it....

Also apparently the version I have is 3.6.9

Thanks for your quick answers.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Are you running wide screen?  3.6.9 really only had support for 4:3 so you can try that.  Otherwise if you have the latest drivers you should be OK.   One thing you can also try is turning on window mode (under dev tools in the launcher) to see if something is popping up in the background that is taking focus and then closing when you move the mouse.  Normally that would cause a lockup though but you never know.   

Offline darkmax

Wow! that's fast! Thanks!

Yes I am running widescreen. I was just thinking if it was the issue. I'll try 4:3 and see if it still gives me trouble.

Tried, but still the same. I tried several lower resoltuion as well. It still flickers in and out of black with the HUD on top.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:22:04 pm by darkmax »

Offline Vidmaster

Widescreens are not a problem, I am using 3.6.9 on a widescreen all the time.

You know, in-official driver sounds suspicious  :lol:

Offline darkmax

:lol: :lol: well, it's a beta driver. usually these are ok... but it might not be here.

Offline darkmax

Installed the WHQL driver and it does nothing to that issue. It remains a blackscreen unless I move my mouse constantly. Even then, all it does is just flicker a background image and not move. However the HUD is always on, even the radar is actively moving. Strange.

Just a note. I wonder if this is any help... the Raider Wars gameplay background and elements work in 3.6.10r. However, the HUD is still stagnant and will not move. Interestingly, I noticed that there is no ship model displayed at the right of the bottom center. Or for the left, when hostile target is selected. RADAR is working, Targeting is also working. But no speed can be adjusted.

In summary I am static, dead in space. After a while, it just froze all over.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 05:33:35 am by darkmax »

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Is this working now too since you did the reinstall?

Offline darkmax

Yes, it seems to be working 90% of the time... Should have done a sweep to get rid of all those things left behind by an uninstall. Anyway, the only issue now is that in certain campaign it will randomly crash, causing a whiteout before telling me to close the program.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Which campaign? 

Offline darkmax

Really can't remember now... there were 2 of them. When I come across again, I'll let you know. Thanks.

Offline Vidmaster

Smells like FortuneHunters and not using the INF exe to me :shaking:

Offline darkmax

Well, that should not be it as I have not played in the Fortune Hunter campaign since the reinstallation....