Author Topic: Release - Starfury HUD Mod  (Read 1586 times)

Release - Starfury HUD Mod
Here is the release of a modified HUD from Diaspora (Thank you DIASPORA Team!)  for TBP Aurora and Thunderbolt fighters.  No other ships are affected and will continue to use the default HUD.  All of the required resource files are stored in a vp file that goes into the root folder.  The table tbm file is separate for easy modification and goes into the data\tables folder.

Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8alkci1iz2qq07/TBP_HUD_Mod.zip?dl=0

Here are some screen shots from the cockpit release thread.

https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=96828.msg1901173#msg1901173

Re: Release - Starfury HUD Mod
I updated the zip archive with a tweaked TBM file.  There were some text overlaps with subsystems on the target monitor and the kills count.  Fixed.

Offline wesp5

I haven't checked this HUD out yet, but we had a lot of overlapping to fix with the current HUD on lower resolutions. Did you test those as well? Also wouldn't it look kind of bad if we "borrowed" a HUD from another mod for TBP?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Everything in Diaspora was released under a CC licence. As long as they credit us, people can do whatever they like with all the stuff from Diaspora. 
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline wesp5

That's not exactly what I meant. I meant it would look better if different FS2 mods have different dedicated HUD layouts :)! Assuming that the TBP layout is indeed unique, I never played FS2 itself, I think it should be preserved.

As far as I'm aware TBP HUD is stock /default Freespace 2 HUD and never had anything custom designed for it.  I could be wrong, I was never a part of that team.

I ported the Diapsora HUD over for my own use primarily, (like all of these recent releases) and also shared them with the community for anyone that was interested in using them.  Personally I like the HUD and feel it works well for EA fighters.  None the less, it may not be to everyone's liking.

I didn't do any extensive testing beyond the fact that the HUD was designed for at least 16x9 format monitors or above.  If someone is trying to play TBP on a 4:3 monitor in 2020.....well, use the stock HUD.  I don't remember when 16:9 format was released but it's been a while.

Oh and I was in no way suggesting that this be incorporated into the next release of TBP.  More of an "add on" mod for those that want to use it.

Offline wesp5

As far as I'm aware TBP HUD is stock /default Freespace 2 HUD and never had anything custom designed for it.

As I wrote, I don't know that either, but comparing the two, the Diaspora HUD appears to be much smaller and more crowded...

I didn't do any extensive testing beyond the fact that the HUD was designed for at least 16x9 format monitors or above.

I just tested the HUD at the lowest 4:3 resolution and it worked fine, with only the same overlaps the normal HUD has as well!

Oh and I was in no way suggesting that this be incorporated into the next release of TBP.  More of an "add on" mod for those that want to use it.

I know, but I seriously hope all your cockpits will end up in core TBP so I had to take a look at the HUD too :). I think it needs some improvements anyway: the background for the targeted objects isn't transparent and the outline of your own ship is too bright! Or is this reflecting shield or armor status or something? Also target reticules for guns and rockets look much worse than the original, especially the later is really jittery and jumping around a lot.

Glad it works at 4:3 just fine.  Improvements are welcome :) as are suggestions.  The HUD elements are the same as they were in Diaspora with some changes.  The center throttle and threat arc were modified by me with the graduated gauge bars.  On the armament loadout display I did make the pixel thickness 3 instead of 2 on the outline, that was required as it wasn't completely rendering the TBolt's model.  That feature is literally rendering the mesh of the model.  I don't know of anything I can do regarding it's brightness.

Offline wesp5

Can you post some comparison shots of your HUD with that of Diaspora? Googling it I find many FS2 game HUDs but don't know which is which ;).

My Diaspora install is pretty customized.  Maybe though.

Offline wesp5

Okay. I must correct my initial claim though that your HUD works in low resolutions. I forgot to save the resolutions when I tested! In fact there is nothing visible from your HUD in the 4:3 resolutions at all except for the wingmen. It looks almost normal at low 16:9, but here the wingmen windows are much too large, and it only starts looking okay beyond 1280x800 (16:9 or 16:10). So this is fine for your specific resolution, but not at all for the core TBP mod. Your cockpits with my HUD table work great though :)!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 03:45:35 pm by wesp5 »

I know, but I seriously hope all your cockpits will end up in core TBP so I had to take a look at the HUD too :). I think it needs some improvements anyway: the background for the targeted objects isn't transparent and the outline of your own ship is too bright! Or is this reflecting shield or armor status or something? Also target reticules for guns and rockets look much worse than the original, especially the later is really jittery and jumping around a lot.

I adjusted the targeting reticules for missile lock and lead site.  The missile lock one is still the same graphic but now it's spinning and smooth looking vs jumping all over like it does in Diaspora.  The lead reticle was replaced with a different smaller one.

Download updated in first post.

Another slight change.  With the Thunderbolt's hardpoint display it was difficult to tell which missile was selected.  I've added a second hardpoint view that show's them as viewed from the front.  I couldn't figure out the correct command to get a rear view.  Top is Top, Front is Front but I don't what is Rear.  Everything I tried didn't work.

In any case, I adjusted the positions slightly and updated the archive in the first post.

Increased the size of the gun lead site by 50% to make it easier to distinguish from the flight path marker.  Archive updated.