Author Topic: Wanderer 080727 or r4722 build  (Read 19620 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Wanderer 080727 or r4722 build
Well it defines the turret fov as in degrees in total on both sides. So setting it to 300 allows turret to rotate 150 degs to left and 150 degs to right.

EDIT: I was in coastal artillery.. we had guns with real turrets (fov 360 degs :P)
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

MK 86 5" ftw!

I started as a CIWS tech to begin with... R2-D2 with a hard on... 20mm rotating Gatling gun 5400 rounds/minute... love that system...

then i upgraded to a Tomahawk tech... i set Baghdad on fire =p

yay i found a bug!

i mean... doh i found i bug  :nervous:

Code: [Select]
$Subsystem: Turret04a, 5.0, 3.0
$Default PBanks: ( "Heavy Ion Cannon" "Heavy Ion Cannon" )
$Maximum Barrel Elevation: 80
$Turret Base FOV: 320
$Flags: ( "use multiple guns" "fire on target" "reset when idle" )
$animation: triggered
$type: initial
+relative_angle: 270,180,0

this is an aft facing top side turret that should onry shoots at stuff behind the ship. Firstly, base FOV breaks it and lets it shoots at stuff thats infront of the ship. Secondly, when it resets, the turret barrels go to 0 instead of 180 (the base turns to 180 but the barrels move to 0... looks like a transformer  :lol: ). The fire on target works wonderfully well. I likes that a lot. I think the reset thing should be tweaked a bit tho... I'm not to particularly fond of it reseting between shots. IMO it should only reset when theres not a target in range or in FOV. I do like the reseting tho.

Edit: i'm also guessing that 1.6.9 doesnt support wide screen either, eh?

Edit agains:

i changed the turret angles to 90,180,0 and that fixed the transformer thing... but they are still shooting things infront of the ship
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:39:37 pm by Vertigo 7 »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Sorta expected this one... First of all animation code has precious little to do with turret uvec and fvec. So if you have top deck turret its front points forward and guns by default straight up. To get the turret to shoot target exclusively behind the ship you would need to to set the actual fvec to point straight behind (and uvec straight up as well as these have to be defined together). The animation code thing is something i need to test to figure out what is going wrong with it. First thing that comes to mind is that the first value is way too high (usually from 0 to 90) http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Animation_Code

Also the code allows for the animation code to force the barrels beyond the actual 'targeting limits'

As for the delay before reseting.. i could make that something that can be set via tables as well as the speed (as a multiplier) of the reset action.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 03:41:15 pm by Wanderer »

yeah i started looking at the anim code. it never gave me any issues before cuz 90 and 270 are the same deviation, just different directions to get to it. When i first made the table i was looking at it as a circle, not a total if that makes any sense. but anyways, thats fix0red... so the fvec and uvec, i know they go in the pof, is there a particular syntax i needa use?

edit:
almost forgot... i like the delay on the reset idea... tabled entries sounds good to me =D

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
hmm... There seems to be the list of the optional entries that can be placed to the properties field... i could pull the list from the code but not today (too tired)..
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,54757.msg1119019.html#msg1119019

ok i just wanna make sure im doing this right...

if i set a fvec of 0,0,1 for a top side turret, then by default the turret faces forward. if i set a fvec of 0,0,-1 then by default it faces aft, correct?

It looks like i need to table tweek to make this work right... if i use 0,0,1 for a top side aft turret, it still shoots at stuff in front of the ship but 0,0,-1 makes the turret barrels face at 0 with my base at 180, ergo transformers! so actually if im using 0,0,-1 then my relative angle should be 90,0,0 for my aft turrets and should allow the fov to work like its sposed ta?

Edit:

I don't think this is gonna work =/ setting fvec of 0,0,-1 for a top side aft facing turret does turn the turret base to face aft but the barrels stay in place so it looks all weird. they do turn like they are sposed to with the base FOV and fire in the proper direction but the barrels are folded over from the back side of the turret base instead of the front  :( :( :(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 04:55:25 pm by Vertigo 7 »

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Hmm..  :ick: yeah.. forgot to mention that.  :doubt: That if i understood your problem correctly. Basically the fvec and uvec are not resetting the turrets facing. They are redefining what game considers to be turrets front and up side. So you need to make the turret model (in some modeling proggie, i think pcs2 can't do that - yet anyhow) face the direction you want to get the fvec to point to.

yeah, i decided id try to flip the turrets around in TS. worked like a charm =D

Offline Topgun

I noticed that the radar tends to stretch the images. why? to what?
I can't tell if it stretches them to a square or to a power of two. is this what is supposed to happen?

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Well.. i tested in using square dds textures (as compressed dds files generally are). Didn't even thought there would be any other still in use :P

I'll take a look at it though, 2D or 3D or both?

Offline Topgun

well, most of my tests are with 3d. so I would need to check if it has the same problem in 2d.
if you want I can go test now and come back in 15 min?

Offline Topgun

3d only. I have attached two .dds's, one stretches, the other, does not.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Where can I get the radar icons? Can't seem to find them in your last build's thread.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Topgun

I am working on those. they still aren't done. If you want to can help me with testing :nod:.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Sure why not? :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Topgun

ok, well, we need to wait until the stretching bug is fixed first to start testing.
if you want to help with making the radar blips, then you could start by extracting the last frames (the brighter ones) of the briefing anis of the vasudan ships (don't extract the ones from the "fade icons"). I already have the Terran ones done.
EDIT: tis goes for anyone who wants to help. oh, and don't do the fighters or the bombers.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Erh, I don't even know how they're supposed to be done, besides save them in DXT5.

Offline Topgun

just extract the last frame from briefing anis that are in sparky.vp.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Didn't someone already make a pack that did the same thing?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays