Author Topic: [Ubuntu] My ship just spins.  (Read 3642 times)

[Ubuntu] My ship just spins.
Well I got fs2_open_3_6_9 installed and somewhat running using the instructions from the FreeSpace wiki on this page: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Fs2_open_on_Linux.The problem I'm having is when I start the training campaign, my ship siiting in place spinning on a diagonal axis down and left.  I have no clue what could be causing this or how to fix it.  I thought it might be because I had my Saitek X45 plugged in, but that wasn't it.  Anyone have any clues?  Thanks.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: [Ubuntu] My ship just spins.
Well... I'm not a Linux guru, but for starters, what are your commandline options?

I used the suggested startup script but without the -jpgtga option.  That option always gave me an error so I deleted it out of the script.  Here are the contents of the script:

#!/bin/bash
cd <my directory structure>/fs2_open
./fs2_open_r -spec -glow -mipmap -orbradar -mod Media_VP

And no, the script does not actually say <my directory structure>  ;)

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
This also happens under MacOS X and my Saitek Cyborg evo at the first mission every restart of the game.

You have to move all axes to full over. Full up, full down, full left and full right.
After that everything works as expected (for me at least).

I'll try that.  It seems it was my controller afterall, so I just started using my track ball.  Problem with is you can spin the ball so fast.  If you spin it too fast it can't track the it very well.  Now the [roblem I'm running into is thet every few minutes, the game goes into pause and dumps to the desktop.  The speech track keeps playing but the game is paused.  I have to click on the game in the toolbar to bring it back up and then un-pause it.  The only other process I have running is BOINC with SETI and Rosetta.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,45480.0.html

The original post sounds like a familiar problem. I could be wrong of course.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,45480.0.html

The original post sounds like a familiar problem. I could be wrong of course.

Same symptom of a different problem.  I have a Microsoft Office Keyboard.  I tried the autocal suggestion above and now when I plug in my joystick my ship doesn't spin, but the joystick still doesn't work with the game.  I get no movement at all except when using the keyboard or trackball.  Right now I'm having to track down an unrelated problem before I can do anything else.  I frelled my sudo rights yesterday but fixed them as root in the recovery mode boot.  Hmm, that rhymes...  But now gstreamer doesn't see my soundcard.  I can look in my hardware information and see it all just fine, but for some reason it won't work.  I have a post in the Ubuntu community forums about it but so far no replies.  I realize this isn't the place for it, so if anyone has any suggestions to throw my way, please shoot them to me through a PM.  If anything works I can post in the Ubuntu forums with full credit to whomever helped me.  I'm a Linux noob but I kinda like it.  It makes me use my brain like DOS used to do.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Used to?  You know, WinDOwS does have a fully functional command prompt!  :D  It's actually quite powerful in XP, especially when combined with, say, Services for UNIX 3.5 and/or Cygwin... ;)  (I have only scratched the surface of those commands... :( )

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Used to?  You know, WinDOwS does have a fully functional command prompt!  :D  It's actually quite powerful in XP, especially when combined with, say, Services for UNIX 3.5 and/or Cygwin... ;)  (I have only scratched the surface of those commands... :( )

Technically speaking, the Windows command prompt, post-Win 98, is actually a DOS emulator running on Windows.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
How about that new tool that they are using, I forget the name, --EDIT: Windows PowerShell-- I'll look it up when I get home.  I know it's a DOS emulator, but it is allowed to interact with Windows... what I'm getting at is that it is better to use it and the Control Panel, rather than just using the Windows GUI.  BTW, Safe Mode with Command Prompt boots you straight to the cmd.exe instead of explorer.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 09:04:20 am by jr2 »