Author Topic: Raider Wars 3.0 - ANTI-BUG OFFENSIVE Status thread  (Read 15401 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: Raider Wars 3.0 - ANTI-BUG OFFENSIVE Status thread
of course know, that was some irony

- the alt-j bug seems only to exist on PM-Part I
- question about ride of the valk: you are allowed to fly badgers there. I am not sure, but are Badgers able to fly in an atmosphere ? I don't think so. I guess the player is supposed to fly a Valk ( hinted by the title  ;7) but if you have badgers, you won't choose the slugish Badger. Using it, the mission is a lot less difficult
- I am not sure, but I think some of the directives in the last mission are shown to late, the whole destroy Eris' escot stuff (destroy silver and so on). I flew in, took out the sky serpent and I just got the "kill eris"-one. Finally, after the rest of the fighters were busted and the Gorgon had jumped in and had been disabled, some time after it lauched cooper wing, the "destroy silver, (...) gold,... appeared.  :confused: :confused: :confused:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
- question about ride of the valk: you are allowed to fly badgers there. I am not sure, but are Badgers able to fly in an atmosphere ? I don't think so. I guess the player is supposed to fly a Valk ( hinted by the title  ;7) but if you have badgers, you won't choose the slugish Badger. Using it, the mission is a lot less difficult :confused:

welll ... rotv is a story for itself - I'm see cool AI glitch here making all wing do anything but attacking (they run away from the moon like there is no morning)
the problem with the Fury design and atmosphere flight is the Furies lack of aero-dynamics and that the engines are designed for space flight (short bursts...) - the shattered star has no atmosphere and only a limited gravity

- I am not sure, but I think some of the directives in the last mission are shown to late, the whole destroy Eris' escot stuff (destroy silver and so on). I flew in, took out the sky serpent and I just got the "kill eris"-one. Finally, after the rest of the fighters were busted and the Gorgon had jumped in and had been disabled, some time after it lauched cooper wing, the "destroy silver, (...) gold,... appeared.  :confused: :confused: :confused:

the directives in RW's missions are stories for themselves (too) - will see if there is some fixing possible
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I never did figure out what the AI is trying to achieve in ROTV? My only guess is that the valks are trying to get out of the landscape's bounding box for collision avoidance purposes, and I can't honestly believe that. The AI has never seemed that bothered about collision avoidance. So I really don't know. I went though the campaign trying to sort out the directives and in fact objectives to make them more sensible... but I think I ran out of time before getting to Loose Ends :). By all means fix this stuff. You can stop alpha 1 firing in the cutscenes using the lock primaries sexp. I will give you a hand if you like, just drop me a line. I don't think there's much point spending too much time on RW though. Drums of War is a better campaign.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
and more stuff, again posted by myself  :nervous::
1) no problems with the surface in my WIP campaign. The fighters attack, evade and do all the stuff they should do. And they like to run straight into the moon surface while evading. Sure with that collision thing ?
2) I like RW. Story is cool, has some but not too much big battles and it's almost fully voice-acted in acceptable quality. Even included some homages to it in my WIP campaign. (But I like DoW too, of course)
3) in "storm the castle", the second goal just reads as "mission goal text"
4) in "profit & loss", the centauri ani is shown for the first escape pod message. Is this intended ?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
1) no problems with the surface in my WIP campaign. The fighters attack, evade and do all the stuff they should do. And they like to run straight into the moon surface while evading. Sure with that collision thing ?

Maybe it's a fighter vs bomber thing. Have you tried Badgers in your mission? How do they behave? Anyway it's a game engine issue so there's no way it can be fixed in RW.

in "profit & loss", the centauri ani is shown for the first escape pod message. Is this intended ?

Yes. Although I would have preferred a female ani.  :nervous:
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline 0rph3u5

These will be the last changes I will do to RW before I re-pack it and re-re-release it along with the tbl-changes I made

RW3 - The Wheel Turns
-  "disarming" the Mainbots
RW09 - Slipping the Noose
-  "disarming" the Mainbots
- ajusting the internal orders of the Serenity Mainbot (EA Mainbot 3)
RW10 - Pre-emptive Measures, part 1
- ajusting Hermes departure cue
RW16 - Loose Ends
- ajunsting some directives

I guess they will come out on Sunday 23rd or Monday 24th
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Are there any other reproducible and unexplained crashes etc you need me to look at?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Include the fighter bayed Shadow Carrier if it's done.

Offline 0rph3u5

Are there any other reproducible and unexplained crashes etc you need me to look at?

No

Include the fighter bayed Shadow Carrier if it's done.

I'll ask whitelight for it
BUT that will cause some hold up and I'll be gone by Monday 1st

==================

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
BUT that will cause some hold up and I'll be gone by Monday 1st

You're in the same position I was in :). Don't worry about the updated pof then. Campaigns can provide that if needed. Get Hip to build you a nice installer and you're done. Thanks very much to you and Kara. You're both great.

Offline 0rph3u5

all done...
I can ship the patch to the core files anytime you want and a missions-only-patch for RW as well

now I've contacted hip about the installer - and in the meantime I'll do a new complete RW package to make the patch obsolate on a long view

==================

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
The most important thing with this release is to keep the TBP directory clean. That means:

* Don't add extra .vp files (no a-RW-patch.vp or a-Core-3.4-patch.vp)
* Don't add loose in data directories (maintbot.pof needs to go in the core vp and not sit in data/models)

For this reason letting Hip build  a new complete install will probably be easier than making a patch. At this late stage in the game it's better to have a single TBP 3.5 Final download with instructions to completely delete and uninstall any previous versions before installation.

Just make sure this version is spot on if you can ;).

Offline x1jmp

I modified the debug build to not abort on failures (like the standard build).

It crashed when G.O.D opened fire, the last few messages were:
Code: [Select]
WARNING: "Too many ship classes before 'TS Capital'; maximum is 130, so only the first 130 will be used" at ship/ship.cpp:3036
WARNING: "Trying to add a bitmap that does not exist in stars.tbl!" at starfield/starfield.cpp:3109
WARNING: "Failed to add starfield bitmap 'neb_grene4' to the mission!" at starfield/starfield.cpp:3454
WARNING: "EFF: Unable to load all frames for 'narndebris01-glow.eff', stopping at #53" at bmpman/bmpman.cpp:1810
WARNING: "EFF: Unable to load all frames for 'ea-debris01-glow.eff', stopping at #53" at bmpman/bmpman.cpp:1810
WARNING: "EFF: Unable to load all frames for 'narndebris01-glow.eff', stopping at #53" at bmpman/bmpman.cpp:1810
WARNING: "Ship  is not a support ship!" at parse/sexp.cpp:13427
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I just started looking at the code today, so I don't know much about it.
It looks like there's a ship used, which wasn't loaded.

Maybe this is because of the ship class limit? If so, the mission should work fine with an Inferno build (I haven't tested, because I don't want to restart the campaign again).

One time I disabled some subsystems of G.O.D. and the mission ended fine, too.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
The answer to your problem is in this very thread. But I'll save you the bother. Go here:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,49406