Author Topic: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?  (Read 64520 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Post Capella, would another Colossus be built?
Mobius has a point... but the truth is, depending on how hard it is to reverse-engineer the Knossos, they might even take 40 years, if they hit the wrong kind of obstacle.  Physically building the Knossos structure isn't a problem; reverse-engineering, designing, testing, and building the electronics are.  Oh, and Mobius, unless that Vasudan Commander was a complete dumba**, where do you think he pulled his estimate from?  The news?  No, don't think so.  Fellow soldiers?  Don't think so either.  Umm, hmm, perhaps he got briefed by the scientists working on the project!  (Sorry, but I had to play devil's advocate... I'll be interested to hear your reply.  :D )

Oh, and kies?  We know its a fictional universe... really.  You can trust us on that.  ;)

Offline Kie99

Why would you trust a Vasudan Commander who barely knows what the Terrans are capable of? A member of the military has no clue on space building. And we're talking about something able to reopen the SOL jump node, man!

He has more clue than you, a human on Earth, 300 years behind the times!  This is incredibly obvious, wake up!  He's bound to know more than anyone in the real world.

Good Lord, I'm debating about this as if it was reality.  This is perfectly simple, real people know less about the technologies and space capabilities of the GTVA than highly ranked people within the GTVA's military.  I have nothing more to say on the matter.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

:eek2:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
That was a Vasudan who loved Ancient artifacts. He/she might have exaggerated, in my opinion. A Terran would have said something different.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Mobius, kies, both of you read my post @ the top of the page.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
And read my previous posts. We all know the Vasudans and their particular behaviour. A Terran would have said "Oh, what a  pity..it just blew up! Well, we built the Colossus in 20 years...it was a secret project...I think we can build up another hula-hoop in less than 10 years".
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Physically building the Knossos structure isn't a problem; reverse-engineering, designing, testing, and building the electronics are..  ..perhaps he got briefed by the scientists working on the project!

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Which, according to you, is possible. :rolleyes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
We kow that the GTVA is very adept at reverse-engeneering alein stuff...look at shield, beam cannons, dragons and maras... that didn't take decades.
Also don't forget the GTVA has studied the ancients since their discovery (30+ years), so re-buulding the Knossos isn't nearly as big of a deal as you make it out to be.
Now if tehy have never seen alien tech before or if they knew nothing about the ancient, then I'd say - sure.

But thte GTVa has acess to tech from 4 different races and a lot of experience with tinkering.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

What do you reckon?  Would the GTVA concentrate its resources into making more destroyers and corvettes, or an improved Colossus design, bearing in mind that it would take significantly less than 20 years to build another one.  The Colossus was a success at what it was designed for, crushing rebellions and eliminating destroyers, and any attempt to emulate the Sathanas would fall woefully short with the GTVA's tech level.

i think this was supposed to be the topic. don't you?  :nod:

it would be better making more research into destroyers capable of standing better ground with armour to withstand a shivan juggernaught and at the same time, be able to fire back and get a bit of bite. the corvettes need more upgrading.

20 years for another colossus?, if i was the head of the GTVA i would say a big 'no way'. look at the offset; the colossus requires to be maintained daily, continuous shipments of combustable explosive gases, and thousands of men, and looking at the tech level the GTVA are thousands of years behind the shivans in technology (stolen shivan shields is an example).

if the colossus would not make much of a dent in one sj, what you think 2 of these ships will do? it might destroy one sj, but what about the other 90 + sj's out there?. executing the better part of valor is the answer, give up and find another answer.
This is my signature.

Offline Kie99

We kow that the GTVA is very adept at reverse-engeneering alein stuff...look at shield, beam cannons, dragons and maras... that didn't take decades.
Also don't forget the GTVA has studied the ancients since their discovery (30+ years), so re-buulding the Knossos isn't nearly as big of a deal as you make it out to be.
Now if tehy have never seen alien tech before or if they knew nothing about the ancient, then I'd say - sure.

But thte GTVa has acess to tech from 4 different races and a lot of experience with tinkering.

Yeah, the Vasudan commander knows that as well, and he gives the estimate of "Decades", we have no reason to doubt that, between A Flaming Sword and the end of FS2, that timescale would only increase with the loss of Capella and the massive casualties taken.

What do you reckon?  Would the GTVA concentrate its resources into making more destroyers and corvettes, or an improved Colossus design, bearing in mind that it would take significantly less than 20 years to build another one.  The Colossus was a success at what it was designed for, crushing rebellions and eliminating destroyers, and any attempt to emulate the Sathanas would fall woefully short with the GTVA's tech level.

i think this was supposed to be the topic. don't you?  :nod:

it would be better making more research into destroyers capable of standing better ground with armour to withstand a shivan juggernaught and at the same time, be able to fire back and get a bit of bite. the corvettes need more upgrading.

So why not use the better armour on Colossus II.  You're going to need a monster of a ship to defeat a Sathanas, and the purpose of another Colossus would not be to defeat Sathanes.

20 years for another colossus?, if i was the head of the GTVA i would say a big 'no way'. look at the offset; the colossus requires to be maintained daily, continuous shipments of combustable explosive gases, and thousands of men, and looking at the tech level the GTVA are thousands of years behind the shivans in technology (stolen shivan shields is an example).

if the colossus would not make much of a dent in one sj, what you think 2 of these ships will do? it might destroy one sj, but what about the other 90 + sj's out there?. executing the better part of valor is the answer, give up and find another answer.

It wouldn't 20 years, all designing and prototyping is already done.  The building of a second Colossus would be much faster than that of the first, and the ship would probably be superior as well due to new reactor tech.

Furthermore, the Colossus is not supposed to take down multiple Juggernauts.  the Shivans are so, so far ahead of the GTVA, that the GTVA won't catch up for centuries anyway.  Colossus II would ensure rebellion could never happen because it would be so easily crushed within days.  The only realistic hope of stopping the Shivans if they decide to exterminate the GTVA is the destruction of Jump Nodes, and example being 2 or 3 Meson loaded destroyers in every system.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
look at the offset; the colossus requires to be maintained daily, continuous shipments of combustable explosive gases, and thousands of men ...

Where did you get that information from?  :confused:

Offline wdarkk

Really, IMHO the terrrans' best option would be to put the Helios into mass production asap. Who cares how much damage a sathanas can do if it's had its four main cannons blown off?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This thread is getting tired.  This thread needs to sleep.