Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134710 times)

Lots of toilet paper being hoarded in the UK for some unknown sheeple reason.
My guess is that someone made a comment about "**** hitting the fan" and people interpreted that a bit too literally. :P

Over here, they're also hoarding bottled water for some reason.

Offline Dysko

Here in Italy people hoarded pasta.
I know, it sounds so stereotypical, but it's true :nervous:

I really hope it doesn't end like last time though.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Mother ****er.

POLITICO: Trump’s travel ban sidesteps his own European resorts.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/12/trump-coronavirus-travel-europe-resorts-126808
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Mother ****er.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/12/trump-coronavirus-travel-europe-resorts-126808

What a ****ing idiot.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Here in Italy people hoarded pasta.

Hoarding pasta makes sense though. Water will still be available so as long as you have some way to make sauce you've got a meal right there.

Hell, pasta and noodles were the majority of what I ate while I was quarantined for a week.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Mother ****er.

What a ****ing idiot.

True as you tell it, NeonShivan, but that's not news, though. We've known he's a ****ing idiot for years. What amazes me are all the ****ing idiots who still support him, even when it's been blatantly obvious for years that he's too corrupt and incompetent for the job he now holds. Only thing to do is to outvote them come November and tell Drumpf "YOU'RE FIRED!" so loudly that even he could understand it.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Luis Dias

It's not really much worse than the flu. It's just that the world already has the flu.

Influenza has a faster spread and higher mortality rate.  In short, don't panic about coronavirus but DO go get your damn flu shot (it's free in many countries).

sigh...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
On a scale between Ebola and Flu, the coronavirus is definitely at the flu end of the scale. Spanish flu has about the same mortality rate as Covid-19. I was NOT underestimating how nasty influenza is. H1N1, for instance, killed at least 150,000 people in 2009 and infected somewhere in the region of a billion. That is despite it not being particularly more lethal or contagious than seasonal flu strains. What made it scary was that it didn't disproportionately affect the elderly.

If Covid-19 had been competently managed it couldn't possibly have killed anywhere close to that number nor infected as many people. In China (which absolutely should have been the worst case since it was the start of the outbreak) it has killed just over 3,000 people. The figures should not have climbed much from there. But thanks to the incompetence of various governments, pissing away the lead time that the Chinese quarantine bought the rest of the world, Covid-19 is back in the running.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:01:01 am by karajorma »

Spanish flu has about the same mortality rate as Covid-19.

Quote from: Wikipedia on Spanish Flu
It infected 500 million people around the world,[2] or about 27% of the then world population of between 1.8 and 1.9 billion, including people on isolated Pacific islands and in the Arctic. The death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million[3] to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in human history.

:nervous:

If you were referring to swine flu, swine flu had a mortality rate of 0.1% - this is not anywhere close to the current reported mortality rates from, say, China, which put them about 2%, or from the WHO, which puts it at 3.4%, or Italy, which puts it at 5%.

Even South Korea's death rate, at 0.6%, is still significantly higher then yer flu. But South Korea, unlike a lot of the countries in europe, has undertaken massive amounts of testing and actually prepared for this. Wuhan and Italy have larger mortality rates in part becuase their medical systems became overwhelmed by the number of cases. That's a reason to worry, especially if you live in a country that doesn't want to take economic risks for the sake of virus control (like the netherlands was until yesterday) or if you live in a country that doesn't have universal healthcare system (like the US).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 07:06:12 am by -Joshua- »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic#Comparisons_to_other_pandemics_and_epidemics

I would have thought that when I said Spanish Flu it was clear I was referring to Spanish Flu. :p But yeah, I know both that and Swine Flu are H1N1 strains, so it was a little ambiguous. Remember when I posted (In late January. Luis has dredged up a post from over a month and a half ago for some bizarre reason) people were panicking that this was like ebola. It isn't and my post was meant to address that issue. Look at the posts above mine "is humanity doomed?" and "How does it kill you". The answer to both of those is it's basically like a nasty flu (like the 1918 Spanish flu).

Spanish flu had a mortality rate of at least 1% and maybe a few times that. In other words, covid-19 is in that range. Swine flu has a lower mortality rate, but IIRC was caught much later, after it was very hard to stop it from becoming a pandemic. Both of those should have been warnings on how to deal with this.

So yes, Coronavirus is something to worry about. But panic doesn't help anything. Understanding the dangers and how to mitigate them does.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 08:30:55 am by karajorma »

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
The world isn't ending.

But it IS going to get a lot ****tier for a while.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

HEY DID SOMEONE SAY "SPANISH INFLUENZA"?

This video was released July 7, 2018

The world isn't ending.

But it IS going to get a lot ****tier for a while.

I have literally though this same thing every year since 2016.

Covid-19! The corona pandemia is a global worst case scenario. And yes - it reached ALL our front-doors. Most likely in some weeks / months - more than 50% of the world population will be infected. The German government rubber-stambed 12 billion Euro this week to have a backbone for fighting against this virus. This is something that shouldn't be ignored because anyone is involved.

"Hi, im biologist from Germany.

I would like to know more about this virus. I guess there is much "misinformation" out there... - so what i know so far (plz correct me when i'm wrong):

- Corona is familiar to "SARS" - which infected thousands some years ago (lung disease)- Covid-19 is the actual mutation version of Corona that is spreading worldwide atm- the approximate death-rate is 1-4% - depends on what statistics you use and what numbers you let flow into it- the majority of infections is harmless -> high rate of unrecognized infections- people with pre-existing illnesses are in danger to get REAL sick / dead- actually we have infections gobal all over the world (pandemia)

Now WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW / HAVE:

- detailed information about the DNS structure of Covid-19

- all information about SARS / Corona research you got

- it's mutation rate

- any long time researches (when exists)

Today we created an open private CORONA work-group here in my region. We are a team / merge of intelligent people, scientists, students and private people who want to help.

Each research sheet, *.pdf - or colloquial data about that virus is interesting for us.

Please send / give us all information you got and help us to find a solution / cure of this and familiar deseases.

I know the history of humanity. In moments like this - when humanity have to overcome biggest problems - WE HAVE TO UNITE!!!

For a virus there exists no border - no nation - no politics. In order to to stop a virus like this or any worse than that - we have to unite. No matter what religion - what nationality - age - or state. This desease hits ALL OF US. So lets do what we forgot to do in the past decades - LETS WORK TOGETHER!"

CORONA CARE - Germany

___

General information for all: Corona/Covid-19 is not much more than a flu. The global panic is more dangerous than the virus itself - at the moment. Things that make me afraid are the stupidness of mankind and the possibility / chances for that virus to "mutate". The prevelance rate of this virus exonentially high and when it mutates to a version with a higher death-rate it CAN become a REAL problem in the future. That's why we created a global - open minded work group - all people work together and share all information about SARS/COVID/CORONA and we WILL develop a vaccine / antidote.

I send love from Germany. To all people in the world: Take care of you and the people next to you! Together we can stand this.
It has become appalingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Albert Einstein

Well...

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Hehe. Good old XKCD. He's got a few good ones re:coronavirus.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum

Well...

Man, Professor Porter is such a badass. She was running for office while still a professor at my law school my first year. Sadly, she only taught upper level courses, and my second year she was off because that November was the general election. I will forever regret not having the chance to take a class taught by her. Alas.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
So our region president decided to suspend almost all travel from and to Sicily to facilitate screenings.
The continent is officially isolated.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor